Visa Tourism

pegasus33

Nov 13, 2019
Buenas dias,

A little confused with all that one can read and the contradictions since strong rules in 2018 ... To be clear visa initial tourism is delivered for 30 days ?
To renew at the SD immigration service is possible to ask for 60 or 90 days max? What are the terms or conditions to get with this visa a maximum journey permit? With taxes to pay +? (cost about?)
What is the maximum of legal declared months with a tourist visa per year?

If stay few days out of country then return to RD before the end of the initial 30 days the counters are reset? So for 30 days? Depending on officers?

Thank you for your clarifications and shared expériences to make all clear and avoid complications or troubles.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Just come and stay as long as you like and pay the fee at the airport when you leave................

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Buenas dias,
If stay few days out of country then return to RD before the end of the initial 30 days the counters are reset? So for 30 days? Depending on officers?

If you leave the country and then return, the counter is reset. But this doesn't count if you go to Haiti. It counts if you go anywhere else.

I had a friend who stayed for 30 days on a tourist card (arrived on 22nd September, left on 22nd October) and they were not charged to exit. So I think exactly 30 days is OK.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Guess risk is highly to be rejected next time you want to get back…

Up until this point in time, their are some countries far more likely to have people turned back than others. Some insist that people from the US, Canada or EU have never been denied re-entry no matter how many times they stayed over 30 days previously.

What passport do you carry?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
this reset could be done how many times ?

As far as I'm aware, the tourist card is valid for a 30-day stay. Once you leave the country (apart from going to Haiti) then stamp you out. So it resets. I guess that technically you could do this over and over again without any problems, but if you did have a strange immigration pattern like constantly leaving for one day and returning, then this might be questioned at some point by immigration people.

As has been said by other posters, even if you stay past the 30 days the only thing that currently happens is that you have to pay a fee when you leave.

Also worth saying that it's not hard to get Dominican residency, it costs maybe $1,500 in lawyer fees and it takes a few months but once you have it you're good to stay legally and are pretty much treated exactly the same as a local in terms of rights and ability to work, get health insurance, bank account etc.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Well, again this subject rears its' inquisitive head. Same ole same ole responses based on opinions and hear- say stories. I would hate for this to come back at me and bite me in my backside while I stand there at the airport being told "adios amigo." I need to resolve this problem.
1. Is it possible that the subject of "overstaying" be put in the legal forum?. Perhaps a legal opinion can be put forth that would put this to bed.
2. At my earliest opportunity (4-5 weeks), while I am in NY, I plan on making an appointment to visit the consulate and get someone to give me the regulation/law in black and white.

This unanswered question really bothers me. Who is to say that one day the admitting officer at the airport is not having a bad day or on this day he "thinks" I shouldn't be allowed back in??
I'll do my best to come back here in a few weeks with some more information.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Well, again this subject rears its' inquisitive head. Same ole same ole responses based on opinions and hear- say stories. I would hate for this to come back at me and bite me in my backside while I stand there at the airport being told "adios amigo." I need to resolve this problem.
1. Is it possible that the subject of "overstaying" be put in the legal forum?. Perhaps a legal opinion can be put forth that would put this to bed.
2. At my earliest opportunity (4-5 weeks), while I am in NY, I plan on making an appointment to visit the consulate and get someone to give me the regulation/law in black and white.

This unanswered question really bothers me. Who is to say that one day the admitting officer at the airport is not having a bad day or on this day he "thinks" I shouldn't be allowed back in??

This subject, legalities and real life experiences has been covered in another thread ad nauseam. You sound like the possibility that some day in the future you might be turned away. If you are so worried then go through the process to get your residency. Simple, then you don't have to worry, that is until they some day maybe they change the parameters for residency.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

This subject has no bed to be put in as long as people insist it is no problem, which implies it is legal, to overstay. It is very clearly illegal to overstay, yet few have suffered consequences that are from North America or the EU.

Yes DR1's own layer stated that the exit fee has NO LEGAL BASIS IN DR LAW. You will not find a law on this in the DR legal system. It is simply an administrative work around to make money on those that do overstay. Those that are not from preferred countries have had more issues, but they are not from English speaking countries and are unlikely to post on DR1. DR embassies throughout the world have been sent a memorandum on this very point. Canada posted news stories about that memo.

Paying the exit fee does not make your stay legal and that IS CLEARLY STATED on MIGRACION's web site. I have posted questions on Migracion's web forum and been told the same thing. Migracion says "You should find a way to stay legally". Attempts to extend a stay are met with frustration because it is not easy to do at all.

For now, if you don't want to get legal residency, the only option you have is to overstay illegally and pay the fee upon departure unless you want to go off Hispaniola and back again every 4 weeks.

They really, really need a snowbird visa... Those are the reasons this is not going to bed yet.

Last edited:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
^^^^^I'd be interested in seeing some of the citations you mentioned here. ie: DR1 lawyer posting, migrations comments etc. I'm not challenging. I just want to see the back-up of so many opinions.

As far as me being "worried". That's perhaps is one adjective, but maybe, " being concerned about going tru
delays, paying fines that are NOT law, missed flights, and a whole lot of other crap" is another way to put it.
Again, I appreciate the advise of all parties that answer time and time again. But one way or another I want to be secure in knowing the law/regulation.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
^^^^^I'd be interested in seeing some of the citations you mentioned here. ie: DR1 lawyer posting, migrations comments etc. I'm not challenging. I just want to see the back-up of so many opinions.

As far as me being "worried". That's perhaps is one adjective, but maybe, " being concerned about going tru
delays, paying fines that are NOT law, missed flights, and a whole lot of other crap" is another way to put it.
Again, I appreciate the advise of all parties that answer time and time again. But one way or another I want to be secure in knowing the law/regulation.

Unfortunately, the search function on DR1 is very poor at finding such things. The other day I went to find the forum for Migracion and it was not even up and running . Such is the DR - it used to work. The response from Dr Guzman was in the legal forum. Some people discount his response (or any other lawyer's response) because their law firm has a group that handles residency applications...

I did just return from Santo Domingo where I spoke to staff at Migracion and the Department of Interior and Police about people staying illegally and they confirmed that currently the people having problems were from countries like Venezuela and other South American countries who overstay. In other words, so far so good for North Americans.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This subject has no bed to be put in as long as people insist it is no problem, which implies it is legal, to ove

For now, if you don't want to get legal residency, the only option you have is to overstay illegally and pay the fee upon departure unless you want to go off Hispaniola and back again every 4 weeks.

This is what I am about to undertake next year. Not exactly a "snowbird" as I will be doing it year round but..... 3-3 1/2 weeks DR and 2-3 weeks in US and return. I'll get the residency IF that is what I MUST do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This is what I am about to undertake next year. Not exactly a "snowbird" as I will be doing it year round but..... 3-3 1/2 weeks DR and 2-3 weeks in US and return. I'll get the residency IF that is what I MUST do.

Only time will tell if it is a must do from where you are from, in this case the US.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
windeguy;1988734 In other words said:
I understand about the search. But, ^^^^^^ doesn't work for me. IF, $1500, a very small amount of money makes the issue go away, then that's what I am going to do.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I understand about the search. But, ^^^^^^ doesn't work for me. IF, $1500, a very small amount of money makes the issue go away, then that's what I am going to do.

Now we're talking. Immigration: "Hey buster, if your Prez can turn back we can also. Adios". Opps John.

Then by all means talk to the closest DR Embassy in the US and start the procedure. You will need documents from the US all translated with an Apostille, etc... A special entry visa is needed from the DR embassy and then you complete the process in the DR once you have all the required paperwork from the US, which I am assuming is your home country and passport. It sounds like you will be in the DR more than the US, so the issue of where you really live would be apparent.

pegasus33

Nov 13, 2019
As far as I'm aware, the tourist card is valid for a 30-day stay. Once you leave the country (apart from going to Haiti) then stamp you out. So it resets. I guess that technically you could do this over and over again without any problems, but if you did have a strange immigration pattern like constantly leaving for one day and returning, then this might be questioned at some point by immigration people.

As has been said by other posters, even if you stay past the 30 days the only thing that currently happens is that you have to pay a fee when you leave.

Also worth saying that it's not hard to get Dominican residency, it costs maybe $1,500 in lawyer fees and it takes a few months but once you have it you're good to stay legally and are pretty much treated exactly the same as a local in terms of rights and ability to work, get health insurance, bank account etc.

Tnak you very much for your relevant clear important informations.