Visa Tourism

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Then by all means talk to the closest DR Embassy in the US and start the procedure. You will need documents from the US all translated with an Apostille, etc... A special entry visa is needed from the DR embassy and then you complete the process in the DR once you have all the required paperwork from the US, which I am assuming is your home country and passport. It sounds like you will be in the DR more than the US, so the issue of where you really live would be apparent.

Yes. Correct. Thanks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Quote Originally Posted by TropicalPaul View Post
As far as I'm aware, the tourist card is valid for a 30-day stay. Once you leave the country (apart from going to Haiti) then stamp you out. So it resets. I guess that technically you could do this over and over again without any problems, but if you did have a strange immigration pattern like constantly leaving for one day and returning, then this might be questioned at some point by immigration people.

As has been said by other posters, even if you stay past the 30 days the only thing that currently happens is that you have to pay a fee when you leave.

Also worth saying that it's not hard to get Dominican residency, it costs maybe $1,500 in lawyer fees and it takes a few months but once you have it you're good to stay legally and are pretty much treated exactly the same as a local in terms of rights and ability to work, get health insurance, bank account etc. When we read in these same pages about first permanent residency which seems to follow several temporary residences, how can any one say it's not hard to get Dominican Residency? I tried for 18 months until my temporary "regularization" wore out and I failed to get it. Millions more have had the same fate I am sure.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Part of the problem here is -

what is allowed to happen
what you can 'get away' with

isn't legal..... nobody says it's legal....
they just advise that its allowed as in 'you can do it'.....

they forget to add - Currently - For now

Sr Guzman's legal opinion still stands

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Part of the problem here is -

what is allowed to happen
what you can 'get away' with

Sr Guzman's legal opinion still stands

OK. I'm not planning on beating this dead horse anymore. I haven't seen it . I think I know what to do to insure against any problems that would leave me standing with my bags in my hand and my finger in my.....nose. lol

pegasus33

Nov 13, 2019
what are conditions, tips and cost to get further allowance time to stay after the 30 regular days ? up to 3 months ?

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
what are conditions, tips and cost to get further allowance time to stay after the 30 regular days ? up to 3 months ?

Good luck to you if you can get a 100% qualified response to this from a poster that will set in in concrete and lay a $100 dollar bill on the concrete. Tips? Meaning don't pay a fine and risk potential problems down the road. Or, pay the fine and risk potential problems down the road? I wish I knew with certainty the answer to your query.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'v thought about this for the past couple of hours and I see benefits to having the residency process attached to my passport.

1. Although I never had a problem over the years re entering the US they do ask "So what did you do there last week?" me: Played golf there. "OK, welcome back". Now if I go back and forth every 3 or 4 weeks. Wouldn't that "golf" answer get a little old? hmmmm. That's a lot of golf.

2. A few months ago I changed state residency for income purposes. It's totally legit but the state keeps a close watch over 184 days that you are not suppose to be in NYS. I "think" a residency process in my docs strengthens my claim of being out of state. That might sound like a little over the top, conservative approach, but I like it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
very solid to show your 'out of state' status

When crossing the US/Canada border...
I make sure they know I live in Rep Dom

Ends all questions.... no border exists after that - visitor in both countries

To your point -
I have been resident in both US & Canada and successfully left both jurisdictions

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Many thanks. I know what I am going to do. Case closed. Thanks

Can i just add that if you're the kind of person who likes certainty, then I'm not 100% sure DR is the right country for you. Any law here very much depends on who you are and who you know. And you can see this in every area of life, including immigration. The "law" regarding overstaying is applied completely differently to Haitians and Venezuelans than to US citizens, but this may change tomorrow, or maybe will never change or may change tomorrow and then change back.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Can i just add that if you're the kind of person who likes certainty, then I'm not 100% sure DR is the right country for you. Any law here very much depends on who you are and who you know. And you can see this in every area of life, including immigration. The "law" regarding overstaying is applied completely differently to Haitians and Venezuelans than to US citizens, but this may change tomorrow, or maybe will never change or may change tomorrow and then change back.

With legal residency in the DR, johne's chances of having a problem are as diminished as they can be. Reduction of risks as he described his issues with his state of residence in the US and with the DR. He sounds like he is going to do as well as he can to avoid problems in both locales.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003

It has served me well for the past 20 years. Hope I do another 20. Don't worry about me. But thanks for your concern

pegasus33

Nov 13, 2019
what are conditions, tips and cost to get further allowance time to stay after the 30 regular days and to reach the 3 months max?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If the clerk at DGM in Santo Domingo knows what you are asking for, knows how to create the letter of extension and feels like doing that, I believe the cost is the same as if you just overstay and pay at the airport when you leave. I only know of one user on this forum that has successfully purchased an extension and there is a thread devoted to that adventure.

I'm not advising you to break the law as there could well be some consequences in the future for doing so today. However, it seems to me, that the trip to SD and all of the potential BS does not make for a very enjoyable experience that has a better than 50% chance of not being successful due to civil service apathy and incompetence.

For all intents and purposes it is probably better to say that there is no reliable way to extend your stay beyond 30 days at this point in time. If you choose to stay beyond 30 days, you do so knowing that you have entered the DR immigration twilight zone and you pay when you leave.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
what are conditions, tips and cost to get further allowance time to stay after the 30 regular days and to reach the 3 months max?

There is no max. You pay a fee when you leave at the airport and come back when you want like thousands of others do. Don't pay any attention to the crap posted here. NO ONE has ever been denied entry solely for an overstay. And I challenge anyone, lawyer or otherwise for real documented proof that it EVER happened..................

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
what are the official actual fees overstay in dollar or rds ? It is calculated per day, per week ?

https://www.migracion.gob.do/Menu/Index/21

COSTO

Tabla costo de Estadía

Tiempo de Estadía Tarifa Vigente

30 Días A 90 Días RD$ 2,500.00

3 A 9 Meses RD$ 4,000.00

9 A 12 Meses RD$ 5,000.00

12 A 18 Meses RD$ 6,500.00

18 A 24 Meses RD$ 8,000.00

24 A 30 Meses RD$ 9,500.00

30 A 36 Meses RD$ 11,000.00

36 A 48 Meses RD$ 16,000.00

48 A 60 Meses RD$ 20,000.00

6 Años RD$ 30,000.00

7 Años RD$ 40,000.00

8 Años RD$ 50,000.00

9 Años RD$ 60,000.00

10 AÑOS RD$ 70,000.00

NOTAS:

a. A partir de los diez (10) años, cada año o fracción, aumentará RD$ 5,000.00

b. Este pago no supone una prorroga que autorice al nacional extranjero a permanecer en el país.

pegasus33

Nov 13, 2019
Muchas gracias
so for 30 (from 1 st day after legal 30 days) til 90 days ext it is the same cost 2500 RDS