Health and Dental insurance

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Hello Everyone. I am currently in the US still but I was curious about Health and Dental insurance for the Dominican Republic. I'm going to another job that offers health insurance but it's a High Deductible Plan($1350/$2700 or $3000/$7000) with an optional Health Savings Account. I've seen a lot of mixed stories about this issue from YouTubers and people here about Health and dental in the DR. From what I've seen Dental insurance seems to get good reviews and prices. Health on the other hand gets a lot of mixed reviews. I've read things from "Many places will not take the health insurance and you need to file a claim after you pay" to "The health insurance in DR is cheap and offers a good service". I've never had a high deductible plan before so I don't know what to expect here in the US. I'm 35 but my family has a history of high blood pressure, heart issues, eye issues, prostate and pancreatic cancer issues, and panic attacks. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any people on here that still live in the US and fly to the DR for anything medical?

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums?

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one.

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hello Everyone. I am currently in the US still but I was curious about Health and Dental insurance for the Dominican Republic. I'm going to another job that offers health insurance but it's a High Deductible Plan($1350/$2700 or $3000/$7000) with an optional Health Savings Account. I've seen a lot of mixed stories about this issue from YouTubers and people here about Health and dental in the DR. From what I've seen Dental insurance seems to get good reviews and prices. Health on the other hand gets a lot of mixed reviews. I've read things from "Many places will not take the health insurance and you need to file a claim after you pay" to "The health insurance in DR is cheap and offers a good service". I've never had a high deductible plan before so I don't know what to expect here in the US. I'm 35 but my family has a history of high blood pressure, heart issues, eye issues, prostate and pancreatic cancer issues, and panic attacks. Here are my questions:

1. Are there any people on here that still live in the US and fly to the DR for anything medical?
Don't see the point. Used to be a lot of people coming for inexpensive cosmetic surgeries, but with so many reports of problems and deaths that is best left to State side plastic surgeons.

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums? Yes - cheap

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one. About $400 per year - too many plans to get into it

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR. Yes & Yes

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
I'm not trying to do plastic surgeries. They can have it. It's good to know that the medical is cheap there. Like I said in my initial post many people love doing the dental there. Seems like there are not any waiting periods, work is good and prices are cheaper than America with insurance.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008

2. Are there any standalone dental plans for the Dominican Republic and how much are the premiums?

3. What are the premiums for health insurance there? From the crappiest plan to the best one.

4. Do people use Humano and Universal still? I've seen that these are the two best companies in the DR.

The cheapest Health plan we sell is 800 pesos a month . The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month.
You add in medicine with the premiums depending on the amount of coverage you want. For dental you pay also for the amount of coverage you want but the most expensive has dental included.

For standalone dental you buy the cheapest plan and add in the amount of dental coverage you want.

The thing is though make sure there is a dental clinic near you or that you know that will take the
dental insurance.

The cost/ benefit for the health insurance is much better than that for the medicines or dental.

We sell Humano and Palic. Universal is widely used. It is important to buy from someone that actually gives s**t.
We saw a european family people go from Sosua to Puerto Plata with copies of their children's birth certificates only to learn that they had to come back so the secretary could see the original. We don't work with that insurance company.

Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions in this regard

Norm segurosnavas.com

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
The cheapest Health plan we sell is 800 pesos a month . The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month.
You add in medicine with the premiums depending on the amount of coverage you want. For dental you pay also for the amount of coverage you want but the most expensive has dental included.

For standalone dental you buy the cheapest plan and add in the amount of dental coverage you want.

The thing is though make sure there is a dental clinic near you or that you know that will take the
dental insurance.

The cost/ benefit for the health insurance is much better than that for the medicines or dental.

We sell Humano and Palic. Universal is widely used. It is important to buy from someone that actually gives s**t.
We saw a european family people go from Sosua to Puerto Plata with copies of their children's birth certificates only to learn that they had to come back so the secretary could see the original. We don't work with that insurance company.

Norm segurosnavas.com

Thanks for the information. I plan on being in the Santiago area since I like it so much. I will check out the site as well. That's not bad for the low or high plans.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

dental insurance.

Norm segurosnavas.com

Is there an age cap for joining either of those?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Is there an age cap for joining either of those?

For Humano you need a medical after 60 yrs but it's not such a big deal as they have their own physicians and make it easy. You can get it up to 65 years but not 66
With Palic there is no medical requirement. You can get it up to 68 yrs but not 69 years.

In both cases don't leave it to the last minute.

norm segurosnavas.com

Last edited:

Asan

Apr 4, 2018
Just for clarification, you mean that people beyond 66 or 69 depending on the plan can not get insurance? What if the get it via a company that employees them?

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Just for clarification, you mean that people beyond 66 or 69 depending on the plan can not get insurance? What if the get it via a company that employees them?

Yes if you work for a company you can be covered under their plan til 69 or older .

You can also set up a company with your business and it will cover your family. You pay monthly taxes to the government and in return you can have a health insurance plan. You may have to have a cedula as the business owner to do this .It's a little tricky but possible.

I will post more complete info on this.

Norm segurosnavas.com

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017

dental insurance.

Norm segurosnavas.com

Hi - you listed the cost for a single person? The most expensive health insurance is 6825 pesos a month. Would you be able to provide a range for a family of 3? Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I found out recently there is an insurance broker in Cabarete where older people can get into a group policy. Biki Dozet is the brokers name and she is in Plaza Media Luna. I have not confirmed this myself, but a friend I trust told me she can do this for older clients who otherwise would not be considered for new policies for private plans.

We use Biki for other types of insurance and recommend her.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
I found out recently there is an insurance broker in Cabarete where older people can get into a group policy. Biki Dozet is the brokers name and she is in Plaza Media Luna. I have not confirmed this myself, but a friend I trust told me she can do this for older clients who otherwise would not be considered for new policies for private plans.

We use Biki for other types of insurance and recommend her.

We also sell health insurance for older people. It is within a group not individual.
It's all fine to have health insurance but when you go to the hospital or clinic you sometimes need to have your broker help you in case they say different bull***t things. like it is invalid .
I was in a big hospital last month with a very severe medical problem. I ended up in intensive care for 13 days.
We have very good health insurance we know because we sell it.
First the hospital said they wanted 600,000 pesos up front on a saturday night. My wife said our insurance was good and if they don't accept me and something happens she will sue them for alot of money.

They did admit me and did take my insurance.

YOu need someone to go to bat for you . Little did I know.

Most people don't have a clue what insurance they have. People sell them expansive plans then switch to cheaper plans and keep the difference. We see this all the time.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We also sell health insurance for older people. It is within a group not individual.
It's all fine to have health insurance but when you go to the hospital or clinic you sometimes need to have your broker help you in case they say different bull***t things. like it is invalid .
I was in a big hospital last month with a very severe medical problem. I ended up in intensive care for 13 days.
We have very good health insurance we know because we sell it.
First the hospital said they wanted 600,000 pesos up front on a saturday night. My wife said our insurance was good and if they don't accept me and something happens she will sue them for alot of money.

They did admit me and did take my insurance.

YOu need someone to go to bat for you . Little did I know.

Most people don't have a clue what insurance they have. People sell them expansive plans then switch to cheaper plans and keep the difference. We see this all the time.

Sorry to hear about your problem and how they will even try to screw over an insurance agent as well.

We renew our medical insurance directly with Humano for some of the reasons you mention. But then we have no intermediary "agent" to go to bat for us, so to speak. Thus far, no issues yet in 17 years of having Palic first and then Humano.

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
Sorry to hear about your problem and how they will even try to screw over an insurance agent as well.

We renew our medical insurance directly with Humano for some of the reasons you mention. But then we have no intermediary "agent" to go to bat for us, so to speak. Thus far, no issues yet in 17 years of having Palic first and then Humano.

That is really good. Glad to hear about it. I hate it when they try and screw over people

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are good insurance brokers out there. Purchasers still need to be very careful to understand the policy they are purchasing and to ask their broker all sorts questions that one can later verify for themselves.

Suggested questions for insurance provider.

1) Please provide two local Doctors/Dentists that accept this coverage.
2) Please provide 1 local clinic/hospital that accepts this coverage.
3) What is the 24/hr customer help line number if there are problems with coverage
4) Is there an English translation for my policy available?

On the way home stop at one of the provided Dr's office and verify that they accept the insurance coverage. Check with your preferred clinic/hospital to verify coverage at the earliest opportunity. After a suitable wait period for all the paperwork to run its course, contact the insurance provider directly and verify the policy details and coverage level to ensure you are getting what you are paying for.

You can never assume that someone isn't out to swindle you in this country, because some are. The time to learn that you do not have the coverage or that coverage isn't as widely accepted as you were told is not when you have been flattened by a moto driving on the sidewalk.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Since I don't use a broker for medical insurance, my wife and I are the people performing the do diligence.

I never assume that someone is not out to swindle me here, as you correctly mention, Cdn_Gringo.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Drperson
can you pm me some information on your group insurance for older people

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
There are good insurance brokers out there. Purchasers still need to be very careful to understand the policy they are purchasing and to ask their broker all sorts questions that one can later verify for themselves.

Suggested questions for insurance provider.

1) Please provide two local Doctors/Dentists that accept this coverage.
2) Please provide 1 local clinic/hospital that accepts this coverage.
3) What is the 24/hr customer help line number if there are problems with coverage
4) Is there an English translation for my policy available?

On the way home stop at one of the provided Dr's office and verify that they accept the insurance coverage. Check with your preferred clinic/hospital to verify coverage at the earliest opportunity. After a suitable wait period for all the paperwork to run its course, contact the insurance provider directly and verify the policy details and coverage level to ensure you are getting what you are paying for.

You can never assume that someone isn't out to swindle you in this country, because some are. The time to learn that you do not have the coverage or that coverage isn't as widely accepted as you were told is not when you have been flattened by a moto driving on the sidewalk.

This is very good advise. Plus check your policy every year to make sure you are getting what you paid for.