My Documents for Citizenship Were Accepted

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Congratulations. You should be fine in the exam. Just try and study when you can, and again remember they are particular. When asked what the currency of the country is, it is the Dominican peso = not just the peso. The names of everyone should also be in full President Danilo Medina Sánchez etc.

Matilda
And if you really want to impress them, in financial journals and newspapers it is referred to as: DOP.
The examiner will know he is dealing with a high finance guy at that point. LOL.

Knowing the DR I'm not quite sure that will help or hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes-- anything non US
but
you have to fill out the US form declaring your non-association.... W-8 , I think

Just swapping out the passport may not work

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
More than one copy. They really want a couple dozen documents more than 2 inches thick for the passport?

I went with the documents and forms as required by the Website and they told me everything was good to go, then ten days later when I went to pick the passport up they told me I had to go to the archives building at the Junta Central and get a copy of all my documents submitted with my application for citizenship. They said the police asked for them. Once I got them and submitted them I was able to go back 5 days later and pick up my passport. Cost me two extra trips.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I highly recommend using someone that knows the system for the first time passport application. It is not easy, by any means.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I went with the documents and forms as required by the Website and they told me everything was good to go, then ten days later when I went to pick the passport up they told me I had to go to the archives building at the Junta Central and get a copy of all my documents submitted with my application for citizenship. They said the police asked for them. Once I got them and submitted them I was able to go back 5 days later and pick up my passport. Cost me two extra trips.

I highly recommend using someone that knows the system for the first time passport application. It is not easy, by any means.

If I have to make two, or three, more trips to Santo Domingo just for the first passport, then I would seriously consider not getting a DR passport. More nonsense than I would care to go through, it sounds like. That really discourages me in getting one. I hate Santo Domingo.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
With the right person you should be able to get it the next day after you apply.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
When the time approaches I will have to see what the right per$on mean$.

I have the right person if you want him. Don't know what he will charge, but it will be fair. Maybe when the time comes I can check for you. He is in SD.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
(...) I went to pick the passport up (...)

It's been about 6 years I am a citizen, but I never asked for the passport. I wonder if it's of any use? If I show up now, they'll ask me where was I for the last 6 years!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It's been about 6 years I am a citizen, but I never asked for the passport. I wonder if it's of any use? If I show up now, they'll ask me where was I for the last 6 years!

You can apply for a passport anytime. But they will need more documentation than just a Cedula for the first one. And you will need to go to SD for the first one.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have the right person if you want him. Don't know what he will charge, but it will be fair. Maybe when the time comes I can check for you. He is in SD.

Sounds good.

I don't see why, there is no time limit on getting a passport for citizens, naturalized or otherwise, that I can imagine. Just hope they didn't "have a fire" and your paperwork is missing.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
Question to fellow double-nationals: When do you actually use your DR passport? (versus your "1st world country" passport)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have already asked my lawyer if she can think of any reason for me to 'double up/down' on an RD passport

I cannot think of any advantage myself ---- she agrees with me
no clear use for it..... continue w/ my Cdn passport

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have already asked my lawyer if she can think of any reason for me to 'double up/down' on an RD passport

I cannot think of any advantage myself ---- she agrees with me
no clear use for it..... continue w/ my Cdn passport

It if takes two or three trips to Santo Domingo to get a DR passport, I may pass on that.

After all, one of the main reasons to get my DR citizenship was to avoid future trips to Migracion in Santo Domingo.
At my age in life with the ability to renew for residency for 10 years, I could be on my last renovation at any time. At the absolute most, if I live as long as either parent of mine, it would be three more residency renovations.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Exactly my thoughts....
the renewal process gets more complicated
Trips to St Dom increase - as does my age and willingness to do the trips
10 yrs out - it will be worse

I am done - Citizen - no more nada

You're on the right track Windy

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Took my DR citizenship test today

Called the Ministry of Interior and Police (MIP) on Tuesday to check on the progress of their verifications. They wanted to give me the test on Friday the 13th, but

It had taken so long I needed another local police certificate (Puerto Plata) and also a new legalized marriage certificate (Sosua and then Santiago for that).

I got both of those on Wednesday during my drive around the north coast and went to Santo Domingo on Thursday night.

Today, Friday the 13th at 10 AM, I had my citizenship test at the MIP office.

I scored 100%.

In a couple of weeks I get sworn in as a DR citizen.

I did it without a lawyer.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Better late than never Windy ----- WHOOPEEEE!!!
Lucky Friday 13th

Join the club,,,,100% ???

how did I get 101% ???

hahaha

RepDom

Jan 2, 2020
Question to fellow double-nationals: When do you actually use your DR passport? (versus your "1st world country" passport)

DR Passport has good access to Japan, Georgia and Qatar Visa Free, which aren't common for some other nationalities.