Cleaning up Boca Chica

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
They are already there.

The man selling the nurse sharks said he caught them just up the beach. Nurse sharks are great to dive with because they are typically docile and rarely attack.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Sharks are possible anywhere on Hispaniola. In fact, of the 3 confirmed shark attacks in Dominican waters, one was in Boca Chica in 2010. This was most likely a post-mortem attack and the victim was not alive when he entered the water. It was confirmed that he was attacked by sharks and they are present.

When I was last there, you could buy dried out, taxidermied nurse sharks along one of the roads. Sharks are present in BC, as they are present in Sosua, and throughout the Caribbean.

Of the other two DR cases, one was in SD in the 60s and the other was on the north coast, I believe. The Punta Cana attack in 2016 is not verified and experts did not agree that is was a shark or some other type of fish as the culprit.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/maps/na/bahamas-antilles/

In BC they are BEYOND the reef. Beach swimmers have no chance to encounter them. In Sosua it is not uncommon to meet sharks in the water. Both city beach and Alicia. No attacks though. But constantly watching over the shoulder is not pretty.
In all other respects swimming in cooler Sosua waters is more pleasant.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
IDIOTS on the banana boats are ten time more dangerous for life of the quiet clean expats than any shark in the World.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Sharks are possible anywhere on Hispaniola. In fact, of the 3 confirmed shark attacks in Dominican waters, one was in Boca Chica in 2010. This was most likely a post-mortem attack and the victim was not alive when he entered the water. It was confirmed that he was attacked by sharks and they are present.

When I was last there, you could buy dried out, taxidermied nurse sharks along one of the roads. Sharks are present in BC, as they are present in Sosua, and throughout the Caribbean.

Of the other two DR cases, one was in SD in the 60s and the other was on the north coast, I believe. The Punta Cana attack in 2016 is not verified and experts did not agree that is was a shark or some other type of fish as the culprit.

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/maps/na/bahamas-antilles/

Only in ONE episode about 150 Dominicans were eaten alive by sharks not far from the shore.
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,145244,00.html

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
None of this is true

Jello fish larvae. Or "micro jello fish". They are invisible. This reaction is typical for a new person during the first 2-3 weeks. After that you do not feel it any longer.
Do not take fresh water shower after swimming. Wipe your affected skin with a diluted vinegar.
Swimming in Sosua is more pleasant. But on the other hand in Sosua one cannot swim at least 50-70 days a year due to waves. In BC - 365 day - guaranteed.
And in Sosua and in the North sharks are possible. In BC there is no sharks. And in Sosua - "man-of-war". Portuguese.

Only in ONE episode about 150 Dominicans were eaten alive by sharks not far from the shore.
http://content.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,145244,00.html

150 Dominicans were eaten alive by sharks not far from the shore, FALSE
LOCATION: The incident took place in Mona Passage between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
about 100 people perished as result of explosion, fire, shark bites or drowning.

Never seen (or heard or read) about Portugise man of war in Sosua or NC either. I say FALSE
Encounters are infrequent, although sightings have been reported in different parts of the country.

More or less once in a week you can’t swim at Playa Sosua due to waves? Really? Again FALSE

Not sure why I bother commenting.......

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
One thing that Boca Chica has over Sosua is that they close one of the main tourist streets in the evening. Something that they have failed to achieve in Sosua.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
LOCATION: The incident took place in Mona Passage between the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico.
about 100 people perished as result of explosion, fire, shark bites or drowning.

Never seen (or heard or read) about Portugise man of war in Sosua or NC either. I say FALSE
Encounters are infrequent, although sightings have been reported in different parts of the country.

More or less once in a week you can’t swim at Playa Sosua due to waves? Really? Again FALSE

Nice try. Good luck with it.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

It happened in just 5 km from the Dominican coast. Was all over the news media.

danely18

Feb 22, 2018

right,
I saw that the enitire beachfront and hill behind the beach has been built out with condos, hotels, etc. It was shocking to see this, since the area had only a bare hillside of dirt lots and the odd condo built on it before, and what was there was lonely and Calle Duarte dead. So, there has been a lot built, but I have no idea about the occupancy or visitor rates.....somebody must be going there other than flight crews I would think, and something must be happening at night?????? Anybody been there very recently?.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

I do not know why you wanted to throw this incident into the discussion, this has no relevance to the safety of dominican beaches, look at All shark attacks in Dominican Republic
More likely to get struck by lightning than attacked by a shark here. Anyway, back to that incident

The boat got into serious problems about that distance from the coast according to the news articles, e.g the news article you linked to, but probably not have read very well....The shark attacks happened further outside the coast, read your own link, text pasted below.

Since most of those aboard were unable to swim, many probably drowned within a few minutes of the accident. But others, either swimming or clinging to hastily emptied floating gasoline containers, tried to reach shore.

A few made it. At 9 a.m. a man identified only as Rubio staggered ashore in Nagua and provided the first word of the tragedy. Others drifted with the current as far as 20 miles out to sea and into shark-filled waters.

Another news article
At least about 100 people fleeing the Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico were torn to pieces on Tuesday by a herd of sharks as the ship sank about 15 kilometers off the coast in the Monal Canal, located between the two countries. " It was horrible, worse than death, "one of the survivors told a local radio station describing how he saw the sharks devour several of their fellow travelers while he managed to move towards the shore.

Source : https://elpais.com/diario/1987/10/08/internacional/560646004_850215.html

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
Nope. Where do you get your information
about this country? Have you been to the
Dominican Republic?

" My information" ? From living in this country for about 20 years, ma fren. From reading newspapers about this country. From seeing sharks on the NC. From being bitten by man-o-war in Sosua MANY TIMES. From my own life here, amigo.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
" My information" ? From living in this country for about 20 years, ma fren. From reading newspapers about this country. From seeing sharks on the NC. From being bitten by man-o-war in Sosua MANY TIMES. From my own life here, amigo.

http://www.portuguesemanofwar.com/encounters_elizabeth2.htm

Initial treatment usually consists of removing toxins from the area effected as well as intravenous antihistamine, antiinflammantory and pain medication. Recovery is usually three to six weeks with proper treatment. Elizabeth recovered eight months later.

You might be not completely recovered, perhaps:lick:

Last edited:

irsav

Jan 26, 2019
http://www.portuguesemanofwar.com/encounters_elizabeth2.htm

Initial treatment usually consists of removing toxins from the area effected as well as intravenous antihistamine, antiinflammantory and pain medication. Recovery is usually three to six weeks with proper treatment. Elizabeth recovered eight months later.

You might be not completely recovered, perhaps:lick:

Maybe. But after each episode high fever remained for 2-4 days.
AMOF no "treatment" helps. Just not to take a fresh water shower first 6-8 hours.
And ACV/water 50/50 from the next day.

habi

Oct 17, 2015

Actually did not plan to get involved with the hole thing (not really Boca Chica related...) But I am just wondering how you manage to get stung by a man-o-war MANY TIMES and one is diving there almost daily since twenty years and never came across one....:confused:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
right,
I saw that the enitire beachfront and hill behind the beach has been built out with condos, hotels, etc. It was shocking to see this, since the area had only a bare hillside of dirt lots and the odd condo built on it before, and what was there was lonely and Calle Duarte dead. So, there has been a lot built, but I have no idea about the occupancy or visitor rates.....somebody must be going there other than flight crews I would think, and something must be happening at night?????? Anybody been there very recently?.

Was over there a few months ago.
Loved it.

Street life great fun,now sadly lacking in Sosua.
Beach life. Ditto..

Going back in a month to get away from boring as sh17 Sosua.

Must admit,the street gals there are pretty quick and admirably professional on pick-pocketing so beware...