200$ limit customs thingy ?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Aside from dr1, who actually told you guys about this ? The mudanza (?) , the forwarding company ?

I sent myself ( if you see what i mean ) a huge box from New York ( well maybe New Jersey ---- can't remember ) and paid around 100$ , i also shared a huuuge box with a relative sent from europe, maybe around 250$ for the transport.
In both cases i was faaar above the 200$ limit, and in both cases they didn't even want to know what was in the box, so even less the worth of the stuff. They just told us to leave the paper work up to them and not to worry, as they do it all the time. Mmmh ok.
So are the taxes taken out of the 100$, which wouldn't leave many $ for the transporter, or are those businesses exonerated of taxes ?

Oh, and in both cases they delivered right to my house, around a month for the US box and around 2 months for the europe box.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Must have been a Mudanza
They skirt the rules

Ship $200 by courier thru Miami address and prepare for trouble

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018

malko

Jan 12, 2013
Must have been a Mudanza
They skirt the rules

Ship $200 by courier thru Miami address and prepare for trouble

So do we risk having a problem one day ( like having to pay taxes ) with a mudanza ?
Or is it on the mudanza to sort stuff out if it does happen ?
Or are mudanza connected high enough not to worry about customs ?

malko

Jan 12, 2013
No guarantees of anything ever in the DR. Whatever you do it's a dice roll.

Mudanzas work well if you can afford the wait.

One guarantee is customs can deem what you are shipping as a dangerous material" at any time. It ends up costing you double.

Another guarantee is as William said for anything over $200.00. Another thing to watch out for is multiple orders in close time proximity. They can lump orders together to exceed the $200 and stuff it to you all they want.

I do understand the 200$ limit.

What i don't understand is the mudanza telling me not to worry about it.
I would be anxious if the mudanza was operating under dominican guarantee, but since they are established in our home countries they will be accountable for their transport. You get an invoice and all.
If they " lose" the box or it is blocked in dr customs, I would be complaining to a swiss business, or a US business, right ? Not a dr one where they could just sweep my complaint under the carpet.
The swiss business in question is also a money transfer business, not only for the dr, but for worldwide transfers...... i can't see them taking the risk of losing their license, no ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm pretty sure the mudanza is operating on the principle of don't ask don't tell. For sure if your shipment is assessed duty by customs, and the mudanza cannot get around it, you'll be asked to cough up some more cash if you want your box/barrel. Not too too long ago there was a customs crackdown on mudanza shipments. As with most things here, it seemed to go on for awhile and then everything returned to normal.

WW might know something. I remember a stove delivery around that time. Also something about the sugar/flour/rice used to top up barrels.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The mudanzas payoff aduandas to let their stuff through. It's not just your stuff that's going through that day. Aduanas gives them a "special" bulk ratre.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We’ve shipped many many boxes and 55 gallon drums with mudanzas for years. Decades. Last year we shipped 21 in one shipment, 18 were baseball equipment and 3 were filled with our “stuff”. Small appliances, food, clothing, gifts, you name it.

We recently sent a humongous professional lawn mower, way over $200 value, delivered to our door without incident.

This year’s shipment hasn’t arrived yet, more baseball equipment, more personal things, and outside the drums, for no extra charge, is 100 pounds of jasmine rice, two 2.5 gallon jugs of peanut oil, 50 pounds of bread flour.

Using a mundanza is NOT the same as ordering online from Amazon, eBay, etc and using a freight forwarder.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
An example.....

Mudanzas charge more for a new fridge/stove than for a new one.
AE & I ship 'scratch'ndent items' in this regard

TV's are charged by the inch.......

There is a system - just different than the $200 threshold .

Like AE - I have shipped a lawn mower - no trouble
Grills the same

My shipments are usually just under 2 weeks - door to door (Christmas season excepted)

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I do understand the 200$ limit.

What i don't understand is the mudanza telling me not to worry about it.
I would be anxious if the mudanza was operating under dominican guarantee, but since they are established in our home countries they will be accountable for their transport. You get an invoice and all.
If they " lose" the box or it is blocked in dr customs, I would be complaining to a swiss business, or a US business, right ? Not a dr one where they could just sweep my complaint under the carpet.
The swiss business in question is also a money transfer business, not only for the dr, but for worldwide transfers...... i can't see them taking the risk of losing their license, no ?

They are probably well connected or owned by
the right family. I love hearing about stress free
transactions down here. Will you please PM me or
share with us the name of this mudanza? I plan on
shipping a few things down from the US later this year. Thanks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Mine are all NYC based..... not big families at all.... hard working Dominican New Yorkers

My mudanza of choice is Awilda in Queens - Jesus Parra...... use my name

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Pay him on shipment ---- or at delivery-------- your choice

He quotes you when he sees the shipment.... not in advance
no credit cards....... cash or check

I buy and ship to him..... Home depot/Lowe's = free shipping
Amazon too

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I see the Awilda truck here in Jarabacoa so they must be reliable.

Going 4+ years in POP, always professionals, never issues... On our first delivery, they made a slight mistake and left one of our 11 boxes to Santiago... The driver called the warehouse in front of me, I spoke with the warehouse staff, they took the charge off the invoice and promised to deliver the missing package shortly... Driver came back in one week with the missing package and asked me to verify the contents and the invoice...

As for the pricing (200 USD limit), yes, we've sent "ourselves" expensive stuff stuffed into larger cardboard boxes, and everything has arrived with zero hassle... We mostly use Ebay, where I have two regular shipping addresses, one in Miami for BMCargo, other for Awilda in Flushing, NY... Once I was late calling them, so it appears that their guys in NY noticed my name on the box, found out my DR phone number from their records and called us multiple times to let us know that the box is on the way to us already...

chrisgy

Jan 15, 2013
My mudanza of choice is Awilda in Queens

I first chose Awilda because of William's recomendation here on DR1.

I now probably ship more than most, since I am shipping for business reasons.
They deliver to both locations in Sosua and our new loication in Puerto Plata without any mojor hiccups. $200 each for the big box's (new clothes and accesories) In fact they just picked up from my home 10 minutes ago.
I like a company with low turnover and the delivery and pick up guys are the same from many years ago when I started. Plus the owner is proactive and involved
I ship approximatedly 16 big boxes a month, so I am well equipped to second William's recommendation.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yes, I forgot to mention they pick up in the NYC area.....

Those guys are really nice.
From PHL, I ship to them and it moves on to me in Cabrera.

Glad you're happy chrisgy.....

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I'm pretty sure the mudanza is operating on the principle of don't ask don't tell.

In my case that is spot on. I shipped a couple of barrels prior to me moving here. The first time when they came the barrel was in my garage I had left the top off so when he went to cover it and snap lock he asked " food, clothes, ah, not important" before I could even answer. However, he did say "No electronics right?". He was out of there in a minute. Two guys, hoisted on truck, Three weeks almost to that day delivered to Juan Dolio. Did it a second time. No questions asked. lol