Juan Dolio and stories I've heard

DRReady

Apr 1, 2020
Hi all, I remember my trips to Boca Chica in the early 90's. At that time the area was shady and you had to be careful of your surroundings. Recently I had visited Juan Dolio and was thinking of moving there part time in the coming years.
During this 2018 visit, I was being told these horror stories about common thievery and assault that I'd love to verify from locals currently living there...Below are some stories I've been told:

1. I shouldn't roll my vehicle windows down on the highway because if the thieves see a white tourist they will pull up on motorcycles and rob you at gun point right there on the highway.

2. Thieves would hit your moving car (either on foot or bicycle) and when you pull over to help them more individuals would jump out of the trees with machetes and rob you.

3. Should you worry if getting to your home requires you drive on a desolate road? i.e. The top of Calamares turning right heading into the Golf Coarse Resort above the highway in Juan Dolio.

4. There are prostitutes everywhere...is there local dance bars where married couples can enjoy themselves without the harassment from this?

I think maybe the fear mongering is uncalled for but wanted to hear from people who actually live there for some real life experiences.

Thank you,

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
How exactly are "married couples" harassed by Prostitutes ?
can you give a single example of this .

DRReady

Apr 1, 2020
So, I've been told some stories and now I'm asking locals to verify/discredit these things...but instead I get keyboard warriors with their ignorant responses trying to be all cool and **** LMAO....whatever. I'm going to take a leap and assume the stories are bogus, then I'm going to make another assumption that the locals aren't all douch bags like the two who commented here :) Cheers...

Reactions: House

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Hi all, I remember my trips to Boca Chica in the early 90's. At that time the area was shady and you had to be careful of your surroundings. Recently I had visited Juan Dolio and was thinking of moving there part time in the coming years.
During this 2018 visit, I was being told these horror stories about common thievery and assault that I'd love to verify from locals currently living there...Below are some stories I've been told:

1. I shouldn't roll my vehicle windows down on the highway because if the thieves see a white tourist they will pull up on motorcycles and rob you at gun point right there on the highway.

2. Thieves would hit your moving car (either on foot or bicycle) and when you pull over to help them more individuals would jump out of the trees with machetes and rob you.

3. Should you worry if getting to your home requires you drive on a desolate road? i.e. The top of Calamares turning right heading into the Golf Coarse Resort above the highway in Juan Dolio.

4. There are prostitutes everywhere...is there local dance bars where married couples can enjoy themselves without the harassment from this?

I think maybe the fear mongering is uncalled for but wanted to hear from people who actually live there for some real life experiences.

Thank you,

1. True, but does not only apply to "white tourists", or the location you specifically mention. Crime can occur any place, at any time. Leave the windows up.

2. Possible, at times, but I do not know if there is a current ongoing threat of such activity. See #1.

3. Yes. Always use primary entrance points, as opposed to short cuts. See #1.

4. False and no.

5. Yes, fear mongering is uncalled for, but you really do need to take measures to protect yourself before you move to a new country. I would hope you are aware of these, especially since you will also be subjecting your wife to these conditions as well.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Wonderful response, thank you!

I own several properties in the area. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me once you have more than 10 postings, as per web forum regulations.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have heard that 1 and 2 can happen anywhere in the DR, but I don't know anyone who has had a first hand experience of them.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
And I nominate Caonabo, for the pariguayo award of the day :p

I am just happy to see a non-Covid19 thread line. Right about now I miss discussions over 30 day tourist cards and mass deportations of people who reach Day 31.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have heard that 1 and 2 can happen anywhere in the DR, but I don't know anyone who has had a first hand experience of them.

They were much more popular and frequent in the past, during the Navidad season, and before the highway patrols were formed. I have not heard of anything recent myself in years.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I am just happy to see a non-Covid19 thread line. Right about now I miss discussions over 30 day tourist cards and mass deportations of people who reach Day 31.

Good point !

I was secretly hoping for a good and funny story about a DR1 member being harassed by prostitutes while having a candle light dinner with his wife.:nervous:

Last edited:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Good point !

I was secretly hoping for a good and funny story about a DR1 member being harassed by prostitutes while having a candle light dinner with his wife.:nervous:

I was thinking more on the lines of being harrassed by my wife while dining alfresco with my side piece in JD, after being robbed by machete with my windows down.:bunny:

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
So, I've been told some stories and now I'm asking locals to verify/discredit these things...but instead I get keyboard warriors with their ignorant responses trying to be all cool and **** LMAO....whatever. I'm going to take a leap and assume the stories are bogus, then I'm going to make another assumption that the locals aren't all douch bags like the two who commented here :) Cheers...

Not very nice. During the lock down I recommend you get a classic book entitled" How To Win Friends And Influence People".
Seriously, will help you more than the vile language when you entered our living room. Go ahead let me know what you think of me. LOL

Sep 22, 2009
Not very nice. During the lock down I recommend you get a classic book entitled" How To Win Friends And Influence People".
Seriously, will help you more than the vile language when you entered our living room. Go ahead let me know what you think of me. LOL
Funny. I'm reading how to lie with charts, another classic

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Thank you,
Be not concerned about kidnappings in the DR. They can almost be like an awesome impromptu vacation adventure in the DR.

One "victim" got dumped off with his cash, cell phone and credit cards by his kidnappers at a semi-brothel in Boca Chica some time ago. Heck, the kidnappers even fed his dog.

So I'm sure the stories you've been told are exaggerations. Dominican criminals are all very civilized.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
BTW and ETA I don't think there is a place in Juan Dolio that one would bring their wife to for dancing that is frequented by putas. In fact...or forget it.

Reactions: JDFriend

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I live half in Boca Chica and half in San Pedro. The putas in San Pedro are invisible, never seen one. The ones in Boca Chica are not aggressive once you say no.

I try not to be flashy because that's my style anyways. I hate jewelry. The only exception is my phone (normally in pocket) and my shoes which are New Balance because I walk alot.

Never had a problem here or San Pedro. Ridden thru JD many times and it looks incredibly boring. No interest in it at all.

The robberies you referenced are simply not true.

Reactions: Joe Boots