Juan Dolio and stories I've heard

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Not very nice. During the lock down I recommend you get a classic book entitled" How To Win Friends And Influence People".
Seriously, will help you more than the vile language when you entered our living room. Go ahead let me know what you think of me. LOL

The OP is not a new member, the vile language is mighty familiar.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Hi all, I remember my trips to Boca Chica in the early 90's. At that time the area was shady and you had to be careful of your surroundings. Recently I had visited Juan Dolio and was thinking of moving there part time in the coming years.
During this 2018 visit, I was being told these horror stories about common thievery and assault that I'd love to verify from locals currently living there...Below are some stories I've been told:

1. I shouldn't roll my vehicle windows down on the highway because if the thieves see a white tourist they will pull up on motorcycles and rob you at gun point right there on the highway.

2. Thieves would hit your moving car (either on foot or bicycle) and when you pull over to help them more individuals would jump out of the trees with machetes and rob you.

3. Should you worry if getting to your home requires you drive on a desolate road? i.e. The top of Calamares turning right heading into the Golf Coarse Resort above the highway in Juan Dolio.

4. There are prostitutes everywhere...is there local dance bars where married couples can enjoy themselves without the harassment from this?

I think maybe the fear mongering is uncalled for but wanted to hear from people who actually live there for some real life experiences.

Thank you,
Backhanded troll post.

Could you be any more obvious?

How does this not get deleted by the mods?

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
It may have already been said but:
I have lived here just under 14 years and although I went places (barrios) I probably should not have my only really "episode" was not in such and area and about a 7 minute walk from where I now live. Having said that I think you need to throw everything out the window and have new eyes. Today, the 1st of the month, no doubt many that normally receive monies from outside the country, mostly from the U.S., will not be receiving anything and the rest working in tourism and almost everything else are also not working. This country as most in the world are NOT the same in this time. I suggest not coming, especially if you are not accustomed to the environment and have no local contacts to count on.
My wife, Dominican, thinks that I am over concerned but I would rather be ready than not. Very soon there is going to be a desperate mood here and extranjeros more than ever will be targets. You need to be ready for this, not paranoid but ready.

Best of luck to you.

Sep 22, 2009
Be not concerned about kidnappings in the DR. They can almost be like an awesome impromptu vacation adventure in the DR.

One "victim" got dumped off with his cash, cell phone and credit cards by his kidnappers at a semi-brothel in Boca Chica some time ago. Heck, the kidnappers even fed his dog.

So I'm sure the stories you've been told are exaggerations. Dominican criminals are all very civilized.

You're wright about that story

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
If you enjoy boring places and rip off gringo prices, Juan Dolio is the place for you.

It's about as exciting and dangerous as an IKEA couch.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you enjoy boring places and rip off gringo prices, Juan Dolio is the place for you.

100% correct.It's so f'ing boring and non-eventful I praise the Lord everyday of my life for the blessing HE gave me when HE said "Juan Dolio my son, go in peace". Amen.

chicagoan14

Apr 2, 2019
I live in Juan Dolio for a year with my ex-girlfriend. I had 0 problems. I'd roll down the boulevard and have drinks. There are a couple middle-class places to eat. It's basically a ghost town until the weekend rolls around.

I felt relatively safe. I always watched my surroundings, made relationships with a couple people who watch the buildings on the street. There's a nice Swiss lady who has a bar up near the main road. Very welcoming and has made ice cream, drinks, food and a car wash.

Only issue I had was my doorman dying from aids. Very hard to watch.

Safety isn't this country's strong point, but I have been here for a while. I am street smart, however.0 Problems.

To be honest, most of the incidents that happen to foreigners they're typically involved in something shady. Very few cases happen with them just being targeted. Many foreigners have great relationships with Dominicans and live comfortably.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete

The old part of town with the easily accessible beach seems like it is well past its best but there are a few bars and a disco. The newer part of town, with the huge apartment blocks, is completely different. No bars on the beach unless you live in one of the blocks. However, there are a couple of large colmados on the main drag with reasonable atmosphere where the drinks are cheap and they have a lot of tables and chairs with a mixture of Dominicans and gringos as clients.

Domphil

Dec 16, 2011
This sounds more like Bica Chica. I have been spending much of my time in Juan Dolio for over ten years. Very nice and friendly locals,not wild and crazy nightlife,safe to walk around town,good restaurants (not cheap),have not seen or experienced any crime,a calm, peaceful and beautiful little town.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
This sounds more like Bica Chica. I have been spending much of my time in Juan Dolio for over ten years. Very nice and friendly locals,not wild and crazy nightlife,safe to walk around town,good restaurants (not cheap),have not seen or experienced any crime,a calm, peaceful and beautiful little town.

Not cheap is an understatement. A number of the better places are right up there with major cities in the states. Sal Marina which I think is fantastic ,weighs the whole fish entree and charges by the gram. Now that's not boring. Keeps your mind sharp and the riff raff out.

irsav

Jan 26, 2019

$100US for a basic dinner... Well... JD is a trap. Money drain. BC is better suited for an expat`s life. And safer to swim. JD has currents.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
$100US for a basic dinner... Well... JD is a trap. Money drain. BC is better suited for an expat`s life. And safer to swim. JD has currents.

What? Where could you possibly pay $100 for a dinner? Possibly Hemingway's that place that burned down, I suppose. Maybe basic dinner for you is champagne and caviar.

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
Where are all these expensive restaurants in Juan Dolio? Ive found food to be reasonably priced but like others have said the place is beyond boring. What I do love about JD is that you dont have someone pushing useless stuff in your face every 2 seconds(Boca Chica) while youre trying to eat or relax. Thats is annoying.

Sep 22, 2009
Juan Dolio is a step up from Boca, which is the Staten Island of NYC. The only good thing is the Northeast mafia old fogies who make great sub sandwiches

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Juan Dolio is a step up from Boca, which is the Staten Island of NYC. The only good thing is the Northeast mafia old fogies who make great sub sandwiches

You are way off here, have you ever even been to either place, apparently not!

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Just to add that if you drive a vehicle in Dom Rep you will need to have A/C. Only the poorest people drive around with the windows down, because everyone else has the A/C on and the windows up.

I would also suggest that if you're thinking of living here part-time, you go for a condo in a gated community. One of the sterile blocks with a lot of security. Maybe this is boring, but I imagine that the attraction of Juan Dolio is to live somewhere with a beach and nice weather, so you probably want hassle-free living, turn up and know that your place has not been burgled.