lists Scams to beware of DR that has happen to you...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
another scam they run is when you go to exchange money ... if you give them 600 they tell you you only gave them 500...I always tell them count it and how much is there....... had a teller in banco popular try that .... she didnt know her boss was my friend we went to the video tape.... than i was told my fault sorry ... i called her a thief and left with the 600

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
the exchange guy on Pedro Clisante near El Flow will mix in a 200 peso bill with the 1000's hoping you will miss it due to the similar color.

A chica you've known for a long time asks you for money to bury her abuela that died... for the third time.

just recently I went to dinner at Bologña with a few friends and when the bill came it had two lasagna dinners on there that was not ordered,when we called it to the waiter's attention he pulled the correct bill out of his pocket,oops.

Also recently I went to the Wild Pony bar I think it is called,almost directly across from Fraggle Rock. I was with two other guys,we were there for a while and did down some drinks but when the bill came it had over 100 drinks on it,hahahaha. The manager and the waitress tried to tell us that we consumed that many drinks,35 drinks each??? I might have had six and my two friends might have had ten each.

I could go on for days about all the chit I've seen.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
the exchange guy on Pedro Clisante near El Flow will mix in a 200 peso bill with the 1000's hoping you will miss it due to the similar color.

A chica you've known for a long time asks you for money to bury her abuela that died... for the third time.

just recently I went to dinner at Bologña with a few friends and when the bill came it had two lasagna dinners on there that was not ordered,when we called it to the waiter's attention he pulled the correct bill out of his pocket,oops.

Also recently I went to the Wild Pony bar I think it is called,almost directly across from Fraggle Rock. I was with two other guys,we were there for a while and did down some drinks but when the bill came it had over 100 drinks on it,hahahaha. The manager and the waitress tried to tell us that we consumed that many drinks,35 drinks each??? I might have had six and my two friends might have had ten each.

If this is the guy NEXT to the Old El Flow ( Now Platinum) , he was scamming people for YEARS..
He used to shortchange almost everyone for exactly 500 Pesos, all day long .. A real Scumbag .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
R

This happened to us once at the Western Union/Vimenca office inside La Sirena in San Cristóbal. It won’t happen twice, we watch like hawks now.

Feb 7, 2007
that only happens to fools

I ain't no fool but they fooled me about 12 years ago in Vicente Noble near Lake Enriquillo. I asked for 1000 pesos of gasoline and the pump marked 1000. But what was supposed to be 3/4 full tank then, was not even 1/2 full. They must have just rounded to 1000 while the pump was already amrking probably 500. I looked at end number but most likely got fooled with start number on the screen. Never more.

Feb 7, 2007
lol, not in Boca Chica!

I don't hang out in Boca Chica so I would not know... but what WW says about "mi amor" being used socially in conversations, it's true. Took me some time to get used to it. But what cringes me out when a man says this to me (and I know he ain't no birdie). I don't use "mi amor" myself, ni "mami" or anything similar. "Joven" or "don" depending on age ... if I know him on some basic level (e.g. interacted before) I use the colombian "parce".

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
A classic scam: Making personal loans. Almost all Dominicans consider a loan to be a gift and get insulted if you ask them to pay you back.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017

here's another took a women out to dinner and she order one dinner for herself and one dinner to go....I told her she could leave now because I'm not paying for it...also thank her for letting me knew early she is a chapadora...the best is the waiter tried to tell me this is normal....I told him to pay for it the look was priceless

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
R

This happened to us once at the Western Union/Vimenca office inside La Sirena in San Cristóbal. It won’t happen twice, we watch like hawks now.

what the shame is the normal things you take for granted you have to watch here.....if people come up to me and ask me I have no problem helping it's when they think we are a sucker is what drives me nuts..

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
what the shame is the normal things you take for granted you have to watch here.....if people come up to me and ask me I have no problem helping it's when they think we are a sucker is what drives me nuts..

I agree with you but for me in Boca Chica, San Pedro, and a little in SD the normal is not to be ripped off. I've dealt with produce guys, pica pollos, ice cream guys on the beach, change houses, and at the colmados. To the best of my knowledge, I have not been ripped off.

Twice in SD I have been robbed of a phone and some petty cash, but those are the only bad experiences to date.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
as for 'padded dinner bills'.... has happened in the USA too many times to me
after catching the scam a couple of times, my wife stopped complaining and enjoyed my diligence

two dinner story....
oftentimes, they order a mountain of food and use take away for the leftovers

sort of normal......in some circumstances

when dating a woman-- you do need to feed the family

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

And it wasn’t even a gringo thing.......I was shopping while Mr AE changed the dollars. We noticed it when we went to pay the La Sirena bill.

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Wonder whose idea it was to make the 200 peso bills roughly the same color as the 1000s.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Not sure if this one has been mentioned yet ,, but this was popular in Santo Domingo back about 10-15 years ago..
A Random guy would approach tourists on the Malecon, asking if you need CHENGE..
He offers a Rate which is very good , not suspiciously high, but just REALLY Good ..... you make a deal for like $100 or whatever .. He counts the money right in front of you.. you hand over the $100, as you are handing it to him, he does a slight of hand by folding some of the bills and palming them, its very fast and practiced ... Like slight of hand magic with Cards only with money ... by the time you RECOUNT your money , he is already on the back of a Moto speeding off , as they work in Pairs .. He is not gonna take a chance of you running after him, ergo why they choose Tourists WALKING the Malecon

Truth be told its almost worth if , because its so impressive how fast they are, and it teaches you to NEVER accept change in the street like that, its just stupid ..use a real Cambio spot, and double check your money in there .

Reactions: monfongo

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...the gas stations are always on the scam with the pumps, never had a problem I always get out and watch the pump numbers and smile at the guy working it... When you change oil and filter on your car, do you stand right next to the person doing the work? If not they will probably put back your old oil filter after they have cleaned it up...