Generalization of dominicans

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
This is really simple- In DR you are viewed by literally what color your skin is not by race. It's similar in Brazil as well. The US has it wrong. Does it make sense that someone as dark as Wesley Snipes and someone as light as Colin Powell both be considered black? Doesn't make sense. I'm sure in DR Colin Powell would be considered white.

It's just the whole one drop rule that exists in the US. Personally I agree with how Domincans see color. I'm mixed but in the US I'm black. What about the white side? I'm proud of both. In DR I'm never referred to as negro. I'm either considered indio or trigueno, the literal color of my skin. But oh well it's not important, what's most important is the type of person that you are and that you give everyone a chance as opposed to judging.

...but most people are stupid or lazy or both and want a quick "rule of thumb" reference so that they can make snap judgements, place new faces in their respective categories and move on to the next snap judgement.

It actually takes time, experience and focus to determine the real value of an individual and who has time for that in a fast food world?

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
This is really simple- In DR you are viewed by literally what color your skin is not by race. It's similar in Brazil as well. The US has it wrong. Does it make sense that someone as dark as Wesley Snipes and someone as light as Colin Powell both be considered black? Doesn't make sense. I'm sure in DR Colin Powell would be considered white.

It's just the whole one drop rule that exists in the US. Personally I agree with how Domincans see color. I'm mixed but in the US I'm black. What about the white side? I'm proud of both. In DR I'm never referred to as negro. I'm either considered indio or trigueno, the literal color of my skin. But oh well it's not important, what's most important is the type of person that you are and that you give everyone a chance as opposed to judging.

Different country, different history lead to different perspectives that's all.
In the US, the color issue is a Race issue for obvious historical reason (nothing backward about it, it was imposed on them). While in the DR, they just describing the color of your skin. They call me Negra, but I could argue that the color of my skin is not Black, but brown. Nothing is perfect.

You know what you are and where you come from that's what matters.

Reactions: bob saunders

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Or does it? If so how does not talking about it solve the problem?

Take a trip to the museum of man in the cultural center in Santo Domingo, lot of the third floor taken up with display on how they got here more so than any museum I have seen in the USA.

Not downplayed just not all consuming like in the US.

Now if the African Americans would quit trying to overlay their philosophy on the Dominicans everything would be cool

Reactions: cobraboy

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
No Idea

Are Dominicans silent on how race is defined in the USA?

I have no idea, and I really don't care. I don't think they make a crusade out of it like the AA do that come here. Of course the AA don't let that get in the way of girl or boy chasing, while they are here.

Reactions: woofsback

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Or does it? If so how does not talking about it solve the problem?

seems it's only a problem for some :)

mmetrik

Jun 5, 2009
Speaking of not understanding ones only language when itsspoken by someone from another country, I'm American and even though people from Scotland are speaking English, I can't understand half of what's said. And that is exactly the case when I speak to frineds in the DR, with all the dropped d's & s's.

Bernard Jean-Pierre

Oct 31, 2010
Are Dominicans silent on how race is defined in the USA?

Perhaps......until they make their trip to Nueva Yol, and realize that in the States all the Moreno, Canela, Javao, Trigue?o, Indio, Haitiano etc all get put into one big box labeled 'They Look Black To Me'.