Already Started

Lapurr

Bronze
Jan 25, 2008
Is this a serious question?

Lapurr, have I touched a sensitive nerve ? It sounds like you have been hurt.
C U @ Plaza Flamingo.

I'm 36, obviously i have been hurt in the past!! who hasnt? it's called LIFE!:ermm:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On the north coast back before the original post was made a dozen years ago, low "season" for tourists were the months of April and September.
We were turning four times as many people away from renting apartments as we booked during the rest of the year in Cabarete. Then Punta Cana happened. Then everyone and their cousin got on Airbnb... That competition is good for the several people that do want to visit Cabarete.

Now low season is pretty much the entire year with a few blips during summer for watersports and winter for snowbirds not interested in AI resorts.
At any given time I suspect we have almost as many expats in the Sosua/Cabarete area as tourists.

CV19 actually provided us with a few bookings this year for people avoiding lockdowns in their home countries.

There were a few tourists on Cabarete Beach yesterday, but nothing like what actually were the good old days for the north coast.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Twenty years ago Cabarate was booming. The beach was full of tourists just about all year round. What Windy said is absolutely correct. This was before there was much of smartphones with social media and Airbnb. Also now that Punta Cana has over 150 hotels and PUJ has more air traffic than ALL the airports in the DR put together the traffic into POP is a fraction of twenty years ago.

AI's make an easy lazy vacation, but the North Coast has a variety of beaches that PC cannot compete with up and down the coast. The North Coast still has a lot more to offer than a short strip on Pedro Clisante.................

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
Yeah it is, and funny too. But you really could just insert any place into the story.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Punta Cana Area is Booming right now I hope the Folks save some of the money before the chinese invent the next world stoppage virus

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
A friend of mine in Santo Domingo said that it's the same story here with AirBnB, he has 8 which are all empty. Everyone and his cousin decided to jump on that bandwagon and I don't think anyone ever did the math to think about voids, cleaning costs, wear and tear, commissions etc. I rent out a few properties here on a long-term basis and get a nice return, provided you really pick and choose your tenants it's a nice market.

Reactions: JD Jones and aarhus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yeah it is, and funny too. But you really could just insert any place into the story.
Funny?

No, it is not possible to insert any place.

Punta Cana became the hot spot and the north coast dropped tremendously.
Everyone else points out that Punta Cana is doing well again. I have no idea since I don't go there.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Twenty years ago Cabarate was booming. The beach was full of tourists just about all year round. What Windy said is absolutely correct. This was before there was much of smartphones with social media and Airbnb. Also now that Punta Cana has over 150 hotels and PUJ has more air traffic than ALL the airports in the DR put together the traffic into POP is a fraction of twenty years ago.

AI's make an easy lazy vacation, but the North Coast has a variety of beaches that PC cannot compete with up and down the coast. The North Coast still has a lot more to offer than a short strip on Pedro Clisante.................
In general, beaches along the north coast aren't of very white sand as beaches in PC. People in North America, Latin America and Europe want powder-like white sand beaches with crystal clear waters and lots of coconut trees. Another thing people are looking for in tropical beach vacations is lots of sun and it simply rains more often along the north coast than in PC.

Notice all the other beach destinations and usually they are in semiarid or drier than in much of the rest of the country they are in, rather flat regions, very white sand beach and very crystal clear waters (Palm Beach in Aruba, Varadero in Cuba, Cancun in Mexico, etc).

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
In general, beaches along the north coast aren't of very white sand as beaches in PC. People in North America, Latin America and Europe want powder-like white sand beaches with crystal clear waters and lots of coconut trees. Another thing people are looking for in tropical beach vacations is lots of sun and it simply rains more often along the north coast than in PC.

Notice all the other beach destinations and usually they are in semiarid or drier than in much of the rest of the country they are in, rather flat regions, very white sand beach and very crystal clear waters (Palm Beach in Aruba, Varadero in Cuba, Cancun in Mexico, etc).
The times I've been to the beaches in Punta Cana the water was muddy and the sand was littered with piles of sea weed. There were lots of coconut trees though.

contasm

May 10, 2005
Hard to believe I posted here back in 2008. Well, I guess tourists are still arriving looking for love and companionship. Now we have a new wave of travelers who call themselves “PASSPORT BROS” , mainly African Americans running away from “sistas” and looking for fun in DR. Anyone word of MusicQueen or Anna Coniglio? Cheers!!!