My Father was murdered today

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
The Hoy report also talks about a 'powerful foreigner'
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
and also about Lloyd's 11 page letter to the President last April about the problems of lawlessness in La Vigia. This report says Fiscal believes someone other than Paulino was involved, someone Lloyd trusted. There are reports in both Diario Libre and El Nacional
Diario Libre Online

El Nacional, la voz de todos
saying that Haitian translator has been accused of crime. El Nacional says Police spokesperson suggests that there had been problems in the relationship and that Lloyd was possibly looking to replace him.

The print version of the local paper El Faro has a number of articles on this subject as well as the Editorial. There is also a space taken by the family in tribute to Lloyd which thanks the civil authorities, police, friends and especially the community of La Vigia, all united in grief at such an irreplaceable loss. The online version of the paper isn't available yet; when it is, I'll add a link.

Horrible story...a stern warning for anyone running a business in the DR!!! I pass my condolences on to Caribee and his family.

Please keep us posted on the news

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The conspiracy theories will inevitalby begin to fly, but bottom line is I am concerned for all the people I've met on the north coast who have businesses.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first of all, i was shoked by this news, newspapers seem to produce only terrifying pics, very disturbing.
berzin, are you saying that similar things have happened to the gringo business owners here?
i am in a process of organizing one myself, all info would be appreciated.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
The Hoy report also talks about a 'powerful foreigner'
Bienvenidos al Hoy Digital
and also about Lloyd's 11 page letter to the President last April about the problems of lawlessness in La Vigia. This report says Fiscal believes someone other than Paulino was involved, someone Lloyd trusted. There are reports in both Diario Libre and El Nacional
Diario Libre Online

El Nacional, la voz de todos
saying that Haitian translator has been accused of crime. El Nacional says Police spokesperson suggests that there had been problems in the relationship and that Lloyd was possibly looking to replace him.

The print version of the local paper El Faro has a number of articles on this subject as well as the Editorial. There is also a space taken by the family in tribute to Lloyd which thanks the civil authorities, police, friends and especially the community of La Vigia, all united in grief at such an irreplaceable loss. The online version of the paper isn't available yet; when it is, I'll add a link.

Thanks for the timely reports, Lambada. You are always on top of the news. Keep us informed on this case. I hope it is about to be solved, as some reports seemed to indicate.

Thay seem to go from the Haitian interpreter to Paulino to this unnamed "powerful foreigner". Since the FBI is working on this case, we will probably have the answers. So far, all the protagonists or antagonists, seem to live in the Puerto Plata area. What I found strange was the quick involvement of the FBI in this case. Since the FBI operates inside US borders, but are now working to solve a crime in DR, I think they are probably responding to a Dominican govt. request. Isn't this the way it is supposed to be?

DominicanScotty

On Vacation!
Jun 12, 2004
Doing things little bit different

With all due respect to this thread I will no stray too far from it.

I have made a decision to be partners with a Dominican military officer. Our business is protected by the military (FAD paratroopers). If I wish I also can have a soldier with me but usually enjoy being alone or in the company of friends. The idea of having "body guards" goes against my wish to live independently. I do however take certain precautions especially after being surprised by a "coked up" woman one morning who attempted to pick my pocket. That was a wake up call that things are getting a little more wacky then I am used to. I have since armed myself. Then again, I carry a firearm in New York as well.

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Actually Lloyd wasn't running a 'business' in the accepted sense of the word.....his 'profit' wasn't for him; the profit would have been the use of more effective farming methods by the local community etc, agricultural education, seed propagation, faster growing times - generally a betterment of life for the campesino people who are among some of the most economically deprived yet hospitable and welcoming. He knew good people when he met them. Which of course makes it an even bigger tragedy because not only have his family and friends lost him, but the good people of La Vigia have lost a benefactor and educator.

IFR_Pilot

Sep 22, 2006
Thay seem to go from the Haitian interpreter to Paulino to this unnamed "powerful foreigner". Since the FBI is working on this case, we will probably have the answers. So far, all the protagonists or antagonists, seem to live in the Puerto Plata area. What I found strange was the quick involvement of the FBI in this case. Since the FBI operates inside US borders, but are now working to solve a crime in DR, I think they are probably responding to a Dominican govt. request. Isn't this the way it is supposed to be?

The FBI will investigate the murder of a US citizen on foreign soil.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
The FBI will investigate the murder of a US citizen on foreign soil.
I am hopeful that the story about the FBI will become more clear within the next 48 hours.

Regardless of what the papers say (fed by police information) I still do not believe that the translator - Frito - is the mastermind behind this murder. Guilty of hijacking Lloyd & having him drive under duress to a (pre-determined) remote spot? YES, I can believe that. Him pulling the trigger & then going to the police with a cleaned gun saying "Here is MY illegal weapon, I just wanted you to know I had it & I was NOT involvd in the shooting of Mr. Lloyd, ......" Well, that just not sound a Haitian way of doing things. Proper & complete Gun analysis? - unlikely. More likely is a distortion of the facts to show that Fito WAS the trigger puller!

There is a LOT more to this case than we are being told - or one great big cover up is taking place. There are a lot of questions not being asked, possibly because the answers could/would embarrass persons of influence. I am now hearing that NO money was found in a bag in the car, so what happened to that (if there ever was any) & if there was none there, why did the press say that there was? What has happened to this mysterious "Powerful Foreigner" mentioned by the fiscal & regurgitated in the press?? Was this a smokescreen to take the heat off other more local accomplices?

Hopefully Mark (the original poster & son of Lloyd) will be back on shortly to give us all his update. ~ Grahame.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sorry, missed the 10 minute edit window again. This is correct picture of Lloyd. Let's remember him as we knew him.
Picture-1.jpg

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Don't Believe That The "WILD SPECULATION" Being Posted Here....

...helps anyone,least of all, the loved ones of the deceased!

Perhaps a "Watch & Wait" attitude would be of help!

As always,those who know nothing,post as if they know everything! We all know that "Justice" is "Blind". But in the DR,it is also "Deaf & Dumb"!

There is really little to be gained by repeating the obvious over and over!

"Rest In Peace" means just that! As when the Canadian boy drowned in "PP",people rush to make the event, "about Them"! This is about Lloyd and his family,NOT about "US"!

CC

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
At last some word of wisdom!
Having to deal with the death of a love one is already painful as it is, and specially in the circumstances it happen, but to have to deal with a bunch of strangers hiding behind their keyboards making a soap opera out of this horrible tragedy is just plain disgusting.
Out of respect to Marc and his family, may I suggest that this tread be closed!
Marc, may your father rest in peace.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Grahame was with Mark and his mother yesterday. Mark wanted to thank everyone on DR1 who has sent him information and condolences; there is a lot more I could say but I won't in order to protect all those concerned. One thing I can say is that Mark wanted to post on this thread an update as far as it was wisely possible, so I would respectfully request that the thread be left open for him to do so. It won't be possible for him to do this for a couple of days. I'm sure you'll all understand why.

fsanchez71

Oct 12, 2006
My condolences

My heart goes out to the family. May the criminals be brought to justice. I remember reading the thread and actually fearing for his life.

RIP Caribee

MarkRobbins

Oct 13, 2006
My Dad

Hey everyone...

First, I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's input and help in keeping track of articles being published by the local news, etc. Some info that I know that might help:

1. The FBI, to my knowledge, is not involved in this investigation. I wish they were. The US Consulate is involved, and the papers were reporting that the private security person that was hired to protect me while I was down there was the FBI. They got that wrong, along with a lot of other things, like about my father owning restaurants in the States...he doesn't. As has been pointed out to me, some people are loathe to admit a mistake, and so they've printed that he SAID he was FBI. That's a load of dung.

2. The guy they have under arrest is named Frito...a Haitian who was employed by my father. A court of law will determine whether he is guilty or not.

3. The papers are now implying that because we left "so quickly" that me and/or my grandmother may have had something to do with this. That news has been among the cruelest cuts we have suffered since hearing of my father's murder. We left when we did, 5 days after arriving, because we had been told, by very reliable sources, that our lives were in danger if we stayed. My security man declared the information reliable and advised we leave ASAP. When you hire someone for security, and don't take their advice when it comes to security, you deserve what you get. That, combined with the stress and toll this whole thing was taking on my grandmother made leaving when we did the only option. I am appalled that the local press would imply these things and I am very sure that the local attorney who was helping us with things put them up to printing such garbage in retaliation for me refusing to sign her onto the case for $35,000 USD and 15% of all assets transferred to my name. I wanted time to consult other attorneys and have someone in the States look at the paperwork, since it's in Spanish, and in a legal system I have no familiarity with at all. I felt pressured, rushed, and even though I suspected what the consequences might be, refused to sign. So she smeared me and my grandmother to the press. Simple as that.

Thank you all again for your sympathy and support during this time. Please understand if I don't participate directly very often in this thread. Everytime I have to go over the whole situation again, it's like someone twisting a knife in my side. It takes hours to pull myself out of depression to deal with each detail that demands to be addressed concerning my father's death. To those who have been in similar circumstances, I'm sure you understand. I bounce between deep depression, rage, fits of crying like a baby, and then into numbness. There are so many things I feel like typing, but none of them are rational or helpful. I wish I were as strong as my father, but honestly, I'm just not.

Take care of yourselves, especially the ones over there.

Sincerely,

Mark Robbins