My Father was murdered today

Chris

Gold
Oct 21, 2002
www.caribbetech.com
Mark, we'll try to keep this little space as clean as possible for you to report back when and if you feel up to it, or when you are ready.

We wish you strength.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have communicated with you directly. I can only express my concurrance with Rocky's message.

I am totally disgusted with the trickster who make the term "shyster" a reality in DR law practice....screw her! Too many really good ones around.

HB.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Mark, hang in there. This kind of thing can bring out the worst in some people. They see opportunity and in their rush to score they overlook the importance of being honorable. Unfortunately here, you can go through a lot of rotten platanos before you find a good one. And it can be doubly depressing for you to have to deal with people who all feel like wolves in sheeps clothing. Makes you just want to walk away. There are a lot of good people on this board that are willing to help you if you need it. If you need someone to watch the estate, we could probably work out something where we take turns staying out there. If you need transportation. Or assistance finding a good attorney. Whatever just ask. These people will truly take the time to help you. I do believe that.

Eddyx

Sep 9, 2005
Mark,

To transfer all the assets to your name, just will have to pay a succession tax to de Government. It is 3% of the value. 15% for your lawyers it too much. Try to find another one.

Last edited:

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Mark did you read this

Hey everyone...

First, I just wanted to say thank you for everyone's input and help in keeping track of articles being published by the local news, etc. Some info that I know that might help:

1. The FBI, to my knowledge, is not involved in this investigation. I wish they were. The US Consulate is involved, and the papers were reporting that the private security person that was hired to protect me while I was down there was the FBI. They got that wrong, along with a lot of other things, like about my father owning restaurants in the States...he doesn't. As has been pointed out to me, some people are loathe to admit a mistake, and so they've printed that he SAID he was FBI. That's a load of dung.

2. The guy they have under arrest is named Frito...a Haitian who was employed by my father. A court of law will determine whether he is guilty or not.

3. The papers are now implying that because we left "so quickly" that me and/or my grandmother may have had something to do with this. That news has been among the cruelest cuts we have suffered since hearing of my father's murder. We left when we did, 5 days after arriving, because we had been told, by very reliable sources, that our lives were in danger if we stayed. My security man declared the information reliable and advised we leave ASAP. When you hire someone for security, and don't take their advice when it comes to security, you deserve what you get. That, combined with the stress and toll this whole thing was taking on my grandmother made leaving when we did the only option. I am appalled that the local press would imply these things and I am very sure that the local attorney who was helping us with things put them up to printing such garbage in retaliation for me refusing to sign her onto the case for $35,000 USD and 15% of all assets transferred to my name. I wanted time to consult other attorneys and have someone in the States look at the paperwork, since it's in Spanish, and in a legal system I have no familiarity with at all. I felt pressured, rushed, and even though I suspected what the consequences might be, refused to sign. So she smeared me and my grandmother to the press. Simple as that.

Thank you all again for your sympathy and support during this time. Please understand if I don't participate directly very often in this thread. Everytime I have to go over the whole situation again, it's like someone twisting a knife in my side. It takes hours to pull myself out of depression to deal with each detail that demands to be addressed concerning my father's death. To those who have been in similar circumstances, I'm sure you understand. I bounce between deep depression, rage, fits of crying like a baby, and then into numbness. There are so many things I feel like typing, but none of them are rational or helpful. I wish I were as strong as my father, but honestly, I'm just not.

Take care of yourselves, especially the ones over there.

Sincerely,

Mark Robbins
.: Peri?dico El Faro • Edici?n Digital :.

juancarlos

Bronze
Sep 28, 2003
That is the article Mark was referring to. I saw he wrote a comment in response. It is right there, once you push comentarios.

Saskia

Jun 9, 2005
Our hearts go out to you

Mark,

I'm so sorry to hear of your tragic loss, I know no words can describe what you and your family are going through right now or at all ease the pain, but I just wanted to send my condolences and love to you all at this trying time. I hope and pray that justice is served and that the memory of your father lives on his in true light.

Yours sincerely

Emma & family

Lamia

Jul 19, 2004
That's so awful, my condolences :(.

I remember his post from way back when about the employee from hell, if he's caribee, right? Well, if that's the case then I think we all know "who" was the one responsible right? I think you should get revenge for your father once you find out exactly who did it! Don't tell anyone, just go and do it, by yourself! Don't hire anyone either, just figure out a way to lure them, and take those sons of bitches down!

All I have to say is everyone, us fellow expats, have to be verrrryyyy careful when dealing with these people, I mean there are good and bad of every group of people, but it's very dangerous to have employees here...they try to sue you, (this happened to a small business owner, whose employee became pregnant and she just wanted to use it as a reason to get more money out of her boss and so is sueing her), backstab you, and steal from you. I'm not saying all will do this, but there are bad people out there and you just have to be aware, and to survive here be paranoid! That's one card you will have then, that they don't know you have. Just always keep it in the back of your mind...

And also...there was this nice real estate agent I knew...and he was killed by a druglord...but the druglord had even said "I'm going to kill you" (on tv even!!!) and so I have one very essential piece of advice for everyone out there -

IF SOMEONE SAYS THEY'RE GOING TO KILL YOU, KILL THEM FIRST!!!!!

You cannot allow someone who's going to kill you, to just stay alive, and let them do it. In life, you can't depend on anyone...it's me, myself and I. The police won't help you...your friends won't help you, you have to look out for you! Just don't tell anyone and protect yourself!!!!

May seem extreme but really it's self defense. I hope you get revenge for your father!!!! And I'll pray those bastards get what's coming to them! They have enough bad karma rolling around that it should come back and strike them down eventually!!!

*cough* I'm getting fired up, that happens sorry about that.

-Lamia

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
a long time pased for that, i don't think they would be able to find a thing even if they tried. what they gathered lead to the Haitian and that wasn't enough evidence, i don't think they have evidence to investigate somebody else after that time.
Mike

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
a long time pased for that, i don't think they would be able to find a thing even if they tried. what they gathered lead to the Haitian and that wasn't enough evidence, i don't think they have evidence to investigate somebody else after that time.
Mike
The 'innocence' of Fito was never in any doubt to anybody who had a modicum of brain power - far too many questions unasked simply because HAD they been asked, a sane & rational answer would have been available to dispute the police theories.
The 'suspects' were or ARE well known - the desire to investigate & find the proof is what is missing. As Rocky has already surmised, money has changed hands, the enquiry has been bought off & the executioners able to finger the intellectual authors of the murder, have either been paid handsomely to disappear from the area - or been disappeared anyway!!

What a pity that the FBI/DEA contingent working at the Embassy at the time could not have shown more interest of the questions being asked this time last year!! ~ Grahame.:ermm::paranoid:

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
What an ignorant group of people.

Once again, the Dominicans should be ashamed and embarrassed. But, they as a whole are shameless and immoral.

It is this kind of corruption that makes me wonder if I could ever retire there full time. Today, the answer is never.

My heart goes out to the family?. Again.

And to any and all of the Dominicans that know the killer, straight to hell.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
Once again, the Dominicans should be ashamed and embarrassed. But, they as a whole are shameless and immoral.

It is this kind of corruption that makes me wonder if I could ever retire there full time. Today, the answer is never.

My heart goes out to the family?. Again.

And to any and all of the Dominicans that know the killer, straight to hell.
If local drug lords managed to buy off the justice system, that's one thing.
To say, that Dominicans as a whole are shameless and immoral, is wrong !!!

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
With this blatant ignorant corruption?.

They ALL take a piece of the responsibility.

I stand by my statement.

gmiller261

Dec 29, 2002
They knew he was innocent.

So the real perpetrator of a senseless hennas crime could go free. Complete collusion.

They are shameless and immoral. Period.