I shall henceforth boicot Plaza Lama (probably)

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
Well imagine being in one of those large dancing places in the DR, San Jose de las Matas to be specific. All these men and women dancing in close proximity, sweating, drinking lots of presidente grandes, sweating some more in August weather and then having to go to a bathroom with no RUNNING WATER for toilets or sink, at least us women don't touch the private area with our bare hands, but having to dance with these men that haven't washed their hands!!!! peeewwf, I'm glad I hardly danced.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
SOME of my friends in the DR wonder why I detect to eat supermarket-prepared food, now you guys know why!.
Let´s be fair: Supermercado Nacional has a very high standard of hygiene and their employees seem properly trained and motivated. I have yet to find any other supermarket that is nearly as good as CDN's supermarkets. I would eat their prepared food without hesitation, Plaza Lama's? Not even if I am at a point of near starvation.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I've used a bathroom for the patrons of a small colmado in Santiago, and let me tell you, the toilet looked like more than 6 people took dumps into, the smell was the absolute worse smell imaginable, I tried to hold my breath and became light headed and dizzy, unbearable. I would rather shyt in the bushes and wipe my A$$ with El Nacional, before I attempt to use that toilet. I also know a place, that uses an old towel outside the bathroom for patrons to wash their hands, how hygenic is that?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well imagine being in one of those large dancing places in the DR, San Jose de las Matas to be specific. All these men and women dancing in close proximity, sweating, drinking lots of presidente grandes, sweating some more in August weather and then having to go to a bathroom with no RUNNING WATER for toilets or sink, at least us women don't touch the private area with our bare hands, but having to dance with these men that haven't washed their hands!!!! peeewwf, I'm glad I hardly danced.
Us genteel, hygienically cultured folks always wash our hands before we pee...

Momma taught us well...

;)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Let?s be fair: Supermercado Nacional has a very high standard of hygiene and their employees seem properly trained and motivated. I have yet to find any other supermarket that is nearly as good as CDN's supermarkets. I would eat their prepared food without hesitation, Plaza Lama's? Not even if I am at a point of near starvation.
Cultural differences aside, the Supermercado Nacional in Santiago is as nice as ANY top end grocery store in the states, IMO.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Indeed!

Let´s be fair: Supermercado Nacional has a very high standard of hygiene and their employees seem properly trained and motivated. I have yet to find any other supermarket that is nearly as good as CDN's supermarkets. I would eat their prepared food without hesitation, Plaza Lama's? Not even if I am at a point of near starvation.
Very fair. Their food courts do seem to be very clean.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
What?!!!!!!!!.

Us genteel, hygienically cultured folks always wash our hands before we pee...

Momma taught us well...

;)
Man, and I thought I was the only "cabezon" who does that!!. Lol.

BUT, if you happen to use the bathroom at Plaza Lama, NOT only do you have to wash your hands (when they have running water), but you also have to wash your face, whole arm and even your "binbinsito", just in case!.

Btw, once I went to El Gaucho restauntant, in El Malecon (I think they are not there anymore. I wonder why?), and while there, I went to the bathroom and while I was entering, the chef had finished peeing.

2 things happened: 1- he "forgot" to wash his hands and 2- I/we was out of that restaurant faster than Speedy Gonzalez!!.

And yes, I had placed our orders already, about 2 minutes prior. When told that I had placed the orders already, I just told the waiter to tell the chef to start washing his hands when he uses the bathroom.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Cobraboy, that's the problem. Too many mommas teaching their boys how to pee. That's why they have to wash their hands.

My papa taught me to never take a leak on my hands, so that there was no reason to have to wash them afterwards, hehehe.

My vote for cleanest restrooms is the lobby restroom in any major hotel along the Malecon in Santo Domingo, any McDonald's restaurant, Tipico Bonao (as recommended by Robert) or the Melaneo restaurants in Bonao, or the Boca Marina or Burger King restaurants in Boca Chica. Other than that, I choose the bushes, the paper and the bottle of isopropyl alcohol in my car to clean up afterwards.

Last edited:

gibson6

*** Sin Bin ***
Jul 22, 2006
que problema?

you guys LIVE in a toilet (toxic cesspool) with folks who for the most part couldn't give a 'crap', so I'm not sure the exact problem here. (That's a rather broad stroke of the brush I just played, but you get the point.) Sure, you can find a pristine looking beach etc but dig deep enuf ... you'll find all kinds of shyt all over the island. sad

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
Where do roadside vendors go ...

Where exactly do roadside vendors go when nature calls? and where do they wash after responding to nature's call? Watch those hands ... you may be getting extra condiment without knowing or requesting it. Watch what you eat and where you eat!!!! :lick: :nervous:

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
Let's go digging!

you guys LIVE in a toilet (toxic cesspool) with folks who for the most part couldn't give a 'crap', so I'm not sure the exact problem here. (That's a rather broad stroke of the brush I just played, but you get the point.) Sure, you can find a pristine looking beach etc but dig deep enuf ... you'll find all kinds of shyt all over the island. sad

"Shyt all over the island" is actually a good thing. It makes vegetation grow with all the more vigor!.....What disgusts me se?or, are the ones all over the bathroom floor!
When put in the right place, it can make you and me very rich indeed!

Que viva la mierda!!...Ole!

C

Chip00

If I remember from my younger days that the clubs I used to go to when I was in the Army in Germany and Britain all smelled fairly vile. When I used to hang out in clubs in the southeastern US they smelled just as bad if I remember. You've probably never been to the old Paris in August, have you? I positively reeks of mierda at night. By the way, from your post it doesn't appear that you like the DR too much, why even waste your time posting? There are certainly a lot of detractions to the DR as in any other place but even the people who complain on this forum are here because they want to be.