Cooking Class #2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
But lets bring it back to life... What are some of your secrets for a great meal, but still being low cost.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I had a meal recently where they served a type of scalloped potato dish -
except
they used yuca and batata instead of potatoes.

It was delicious

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In looking up recipes and thinking back on the meal......

I suspect this was more 'au gratin' than the regular version of scalloped potatoes
just the addition of cheese changes the name

I'll be trying it - toute suite !!

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
I am looking for a good recipe for ensalada rusa. Something a bit different.

romaria

Oct 24, 2019
Hi ! How about Deluxe Tan Tan noodles. Ground pork smothered with a peanut sauce, peanut butter, red chili paste, garlic, ginger, rice vinegar, soy sauce, and sesame oil, over egg noodles.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The yuca/batata slices need to be thin,,, better cooking

I think the batata takes longer to cook than yuca.... so as thin as possible there

I baked for an hour or so... and will do it a bit longer...

but overall, very good
I layered Swiss cheese on all 3 layers

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
Never was a vodka fan unless it was in the vodka red sauce over pasta. Has anyone ever heard of putting small chunks of cheese in their ensalada rusa? Not sure about that but if one did, what kind of cheese?. The person who sent me the recipe used Velveeta cheese (ugh..).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Never was a vodka fan unless it was in the vodka red sauce over pasta. Has anyone ever heard of putting small chunks of cheese in their ensalada rusa? Not sure about that but if one did, what kind of cheese?. The person who sent me the recipe used Velveeta cheese (ugh..).

I’ve had a lot of ensalada rusa, never with cheese.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

It needs to be a fairly strong cheese so that it isn't overpowered by other ingredients, especially if you put beets or tuna in the salad. 5 yr old Cheddar would work, as would Fontina or Gruyere. Tilsit has a German-Russian history so it might be most appropriate. Only you would know the likelihood of finding them in your DR neighbourhood.

:classic: mob

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Chicken burgers anyone?
I've made these a few times since finding the recipe this summer. Taste better than beef burgers in my guests and my opinion.

I used cheap frozen chicken breasts. Substitute guava jelly if you don't have marmalade for an interesting flavour. And almost any alcohol (except rum) will work if you don't have bourbon. You do need a food processor though, a blender won't work.

A BETTER CHICKEN PATTY

:classic:

keepcoming

May 25, 2011
As the temps go down (lol...) I am looking for chili recipes. Would love some recipes with more vegetables than meat.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have been wanting to try this..... and finally did....

One Pan Shrimp Scampi and Orzo -- google it up

I used the NYTimes recipe... used less liquid and less salt, per the suggestions after the recipe

Others call for parmesan cheese or the like.... I had none.

Orzo, couscous, even linguine.... they all work apparently.

It was really good - I'll be repeating it