Big Spider

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Yesterday I found this beauty whilst driving around Perla Marina in Sosua.
This is by far the biggest spider I have seen here. I have no issues with spiders and usually pick them up, but this thing looked a little fierce to play with :)

spider.jpg

Frankie

Nov 28, 2006
Must be something about Perla Marina, we have only lived here since Oct and have had 2 spiders of that size in our house!!

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
It looks like you can take it for a walk or should I say--it can take YOU for a walk!!!

There would be a lot of screaming in my house if THAT showed up!!!

vince1956

On Vacation!
May 24, 2006
Yesterday I found this beauty whilst driving around Perla Marina in Sosua.
This is by far the biggest spider I have seen here. I have no issues with spiders and usually pick them up, but this thing looked a little fierce to play with :)

spider.jpg
Lost one big spider if found please return to rocky lol or Telephone: (809) 571-2951 ? Cellular : (809) 841-6961

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The first time I saw one of those here in the DR, I was staying with my girlfriend.
She said not to worry, it won't bother us.

Darn, I thought I was going to be spending the night alone with her (The girlfriend).

Had one in the driveway here once, I went toward it and it went back on it's hind legs.
I was told to stop because that meant it was getting ready to jump at me.

Don SantiagoDR

canadian bob

Bronze
Jan 16, 2002
Tarantula for sure... Stay away as they scratch their rear ends & release highly poisonous clouds of "urticating hairs" which blind attacking birds which they then eat..... The bite is very painful but not fatal. Even worse are bites from the "brown recluse" spider where the flesh around the bite site becomes rotten & can leave debilitating scars. All spider bites should be seen by a Doctor, together with the spider (Even if squashed...) Canadian Bob.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They keep your house free of roaches. Sometimes small mice.

Please don't kill them.

They are probably around due to nearby construction breaking up their little caves...

They can be domesticated a bit.

HB

nikke

Sep 19, 2005
Hahaha I just showed a friend these two pictures and he said "that's not a spider, that's a cat"...

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
big spiders, black and brown

I've come across them indoors more often than I would like, usually in the kitchen or bathroom. I assume they get into apartments through the plumbing. I've always heard they are harmless but I used a broom or a spray bottle of chlorine bleach to elminate them.

On the other hand, I know a few people who have had to seek medical care for various levels of allergic reactions after having been bitten by what care providers called "spiders." I don't know what size. Thanks for the photo Rob, thank goodness I wasn't eating when I opened it.