Hurricane David and the Pope

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Well, I lived through David, so I certainly saw first hand and vividly recall the devastation that it caused in SD.

There are folks who believe that Hurricane David was a punishment from "above" because of the Pope's visit that year.

I ain't making that up, and no one will find in Wikipedia (not even Nals), but I talk to people and ask lots of questions, and that's what some have told me.

Now, as a super-duper bright guy, I don't laugh at that stuff, but it is what it is. And it's part of what makes Dominicans quite peculiar in my book. And I love it.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
There are folks who believe that Hurricane David was a punishment from "above" because of the Pope's visit that year.
I ain't making that up, and no one will find in Wikipedia (not even Nals), but I talk to people and ask lots of questions, and that's what some have told me.

Now, as a super-duper bright guy, I don't laugh at that stuff, but it is what it is. And it's part of what makes Dominicans quite peculiar in my book. And I love it.

It might be a silly question but how can a country be punished for a church leader visit? Is it because Pope is catholic and I noticed Dominicans don't really support that?

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
It might be a silly question but how can a country be punished for a church leader visit? Is it because Pope is catholic and I noticed Dominicans don't really support that?

Alyonka, don't pay attention to that remark. It's hogwash! The Evangelicals and other Christian churches had yet to make inroads in the DR. At the time, the country was practically 100% Catholic. Actually, most Dominicans are more Catholic than the Pope....;)

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Alyonka, don't pay attention to that remark. It's hogwash! The Evangelicals and other Christian churches had yet to make inroads in the DR. At the time, the country was practically 100% Catholic. Actually, most Dominicans are more Catholic than the Pope....;)

Interesting, the ones that I met were mostly fond of Jesus and not Virgin Mary.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006

Well, it is what it is, Mirador. And I know you know Dominicans better than I do. But maybe you haven't heard that one about the hurricane coinciding with Pope's visit.

Another rumor regarding the Pope's first visit to Higuey: some really big shots were building a cocaine-processing plant in Los Aragones, which is a small beach near Cabo Enga?o, far from Punta Cana, and that the pope visited to intervene in its construction.

And as far as the DR being 100% Catholic then... ok, never mind, I see the wink now.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
Interesting, the ones that I met were mostly fond of Jesus and not Virgin Mary.

Alyonka, young lady, the Evangelicals are fond of baby Jesus, but Catholics smply adore La Virgencita de la Altagracia. Take it from me, as I am from Higuey and I AM an authority on this subject. I've seen it.

For an eye-opening experience, visit Higuey on January 20th, then stay for the actual holiday on the 21st and come back and agree that I'm the man on all thngs Dominican-Catholics. And I ain't even a believer. Or ask the bishop Carpio in Santiago... he knows who I am.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Well, it is what it is, Mirador. And I know you know Dominicans better than I do. But maybe you haven't heard that one about the hurricane coinciding with Pope's visit.

Another rumor regarding the Pope's first visit to Higuey: some really big shots were building a cocaine-processing plant in Los Aragones, which is a small beach near Cabo Enga?o, far from Punta Cana, and that the pope visited to intervene in its construction.

And as far as the DR being 100% Catholic then... ok, never mind, I see the wink now.

I have a great skinny regarding the Pope's second visit, that would make a story better than the Da Vinci Code. However, I will keep it confidential.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
I have a great skinny regarding the Pope's second visit, that would make a story better than the Da Vinci Code. However, I will keep it confidential.

Dude, that's why you are the one Dominican I like to read here. Pray tell, please. My curiosity has been piqued. PM maybe?

And I bet it is better than the DVC, as this visit actually happened.

Mirador

On Permanent Vacation!
Apr 15, 2004
Dude, that's why you are the one Dominican I like to read here. Pray tell, please. My curiosity has been piqued. PM maybe?

And I bet it is better than the DVC, as this visit actually happened.

What does this have to do with the environment? maybe the religious environment...;)

Actually, I exagerated a bit, but the skinny is nevertheless true, because I was very close to some of the main players at the time.

In a nut shell...

At the time of His Holiness visit, the DR Catholic church was being racked by desertions, as more and more local priests disregarded their celibacy vows, and married. When the married priest were finally defrocked, they organized themselves into the Dominican Orthodox Church and kept on administering the sacraments to the populace, who could not tell the Catholic bona fides from the defrocked. During his visit, the Pope met with representatives of the defrocked priests, and convinced them to desist in creating a parallel Church, and join the Orthodox Church, for which they would receive several churches, including one of the old colonial churches in Santo Domingo, in addition to other benefits, such as monthly stipends. In order to sabotage the new Dominican Church, the Pope obtained the colaboration of His Beatitude, the Patriarch of Antioch, who appointed a Vicar to head the Dominican branch of the Antioch Orthodox Church, which the defrocked priests would be joining. In the end, none of the promises were kept, and most of the leaders of the new Dominican church left the country in frustration.

something_of_the_night

Has left the building...
Feb 7, 2006
What does this have to do with the environment? maybe the religious environment...;)

Well, to bring it back to the environment, and since I tied up the Pope's first visit to Hurricane David, let me add that I'm not trying to turn this into a religious debate, as those have gotten me banned several times.

I merely pointed out what some Dominicans think of David, which is mild in comparison to what some mega preacher$ in the US say about Katrina and the wave.