Best Places to Live in DR

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Nominally i would agree but how reliable is data? My thoughts are cities like San Pedro which are not tourist sites have far less crime because it doesn't attract criminals. That's not why I choose to live here but it is a big advantage.

From my experience of San Pedro de Macoris and the surrounding towns, the crime rate is as high or higher than other places in the DR. It probably doesn't make the news because firstly there are few gringos and secondly people don't report crimes, because they don't trust the police. Personally I feel safer in Cabarete than when I stay in Consuelo, just outside Sand Pedro.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
From my experience of San Pedro de Macoris and the surrounding towns, the crime rate is as high or higher than other places in the DR. It probably doesn't make the news because firstly there are few gringos and secondly people don't report crimes, because they don't trust the police. Personally I feel safer in Cabarete than when I stay in Consuelo, just outside Sand Pedro.

Feeling safe and actually being safe are actually 2 very different things.

Some people feel safe when surrounded by fellow expats/tourists. But it is only a feeling.
Some people feel unsafe when completely alone .....others, like me, thrive on it.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Nominally i would agree but how reliable is data? My thoughts are cities like San Pedro which are not tourist sites have far less crime because it doesn't attract criminals. That's not why I choose to live here but it is a big advantage.

Reminds me of when Willie Sutton the famed bank robber was interviewed. They asked "Willie, why did you rob banks?" His answer was " That's where the money is". Pretty simple logic isn't it?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Feeling safe and actually being safe are actually 2 very different things.

Some people feel safe when surrounded by fellow expats/tourists. But it is only a feeling.
Some people feel unsafe when completely alone .....others, like me, thrive on it.

This struck a cord with me. I'm a city girl, I feel safest in cities/crowds/etc. Wide open spaces scare me, I think it's a feeling of if I scream, no one will hear me. You'd never find me on a walk in the woods [too many movies??? :) ) Mr.AE is the exact opposite.

Reminds me of when Willie Sutton the famed bank robber was interviewed. They asked "Willie, why did you rob banks?" His answer was " That's where the money is". Pretty simple logic isn't it?

This makes sense to me too. If I'm looking to rob someone, I'm going to look where the wealthy (or perceived wealthy) live, not in the campo. And because that's exactly where we live in DR, we [particularly me] go out of our way not to stand out any more than we already do [99% of the Dominicans in our area are very black]. No/little jewelry, phone always in pocket, no purse, very low key. One thing I will say is that, at least in our campo, everyone looks out for everyone else. You might call them a bunch of noseybodies, but they watch everything that's going on. Very little privacy. They know who has company, who's away for the day, who just got back from the supermarket, etc. In our case, that's a good thing. I've actually been told that when they see Mr. AE close the gate and walk down to the beach, ferreteria, etc., that they watch out for me if they think I'm alone.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
This struck a cord with me. I'm a city girl, I feel safest in cities/crowds/etc. Wide open spaces scare me, I think it's a feeling of if I scream, no one will hear me. You'd never find me on a walk in the woods [too many movies??? :) ) Mr.AE is the exact opposite.

This makes sense to me too. If I'm looking to rob someone, I'm going to look where the wealthy (or perceived wealthy) live, not in the campo. And because that's exactly where we live in DR, we [particularly me] go out of our way not to stand out any more than we already do [99% of the Dominicans in our area are very black]. No/little jewelry, phone always in pocket, no purse, very low key. One thing I will say is that, at least in our campo, everyone looks out for everyone else. You might call them a bunch of noseybodies, but they watch everything that's going on. Very little privacy. They know who has company, who's away for the day, who just got back from the supermarket, etc. In our case, that's a good thing. I've actually been told that when they see Mr. AE close the gate and walk down to the beach, ferreteria, etc., that they watch out for me if they think I'm alone.

you just described my MIL and older neighbours. Sit on their porch or balcony most of the day and night and notice everything.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
you just described my MIL and older neighbours. Sit on their porch or balcony most of the day and night and notice everything.

Same here in San Cristobal.

God forbid I don't go to work one day. Neighbors will be knocking on my door and asking if I'm OK.

They are also fanatics about noise. If one of them has a small birthday party for one of their kids they will shut the whole thing down at 9pm.

One of the apartments is rented by a kid who just got signed to play baseball. He bought a couple of new jeepetas and stuffed them with speakers.

You can hear them coming a block away, but as soon as they turn in the driveway, music's off.

Can't ask for more than that.