Need shooting range in SD area

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Any gun ranges in SD open to tourists with gun rentals available?

Indoor or outdoor OK

Specifically smaller caliber pistols (.380 .38 9mm) and 12 gauge.

I need to do some training with Dominican clients and will need 300 rounds per session, eye and hearing protection as well.

NRA sanctioned instructor.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
1) Do you have ANY idea as to what this will cost???? There has been a prohibition on the import of ammo for like a year.
2) Make sure your clients pay for everything.
3) I have never heard of anyone renting weapons.

How i would go about it is to go to the federation in Santo Domingo and ask what is available. There is a top class range in Santo Domingo-Sans Souci Naval Base, if memory serves. And there is a trap/skeet range as well.

You need to have your clients make the contacts for you...

And, I have to say, I do not like your chances.

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
I need to do some training with Dominican clients and will need 300 rounds per session, eye and hearing protection as well.

NRA sanctioned instructor.

Like Hillbilly said, the cost of Ammo is way too high. Another poster said the cost is about US$50 a box(9mm-50rds). But if your clients possess the mulah, all for it. Oh yeah, if you are outdoors, let them use their shades and for the ears, you should be able to buy a pack of those foam thingies you squeez in from the drug store.

Anyway, what type of training are you offering the clients.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
Call here:
Pol?gono de Tiro de la Bol?var S.A.
Av. R?mulo Betancourt No.537, esq. Caonabo, Mirador Norte.
Tel.: 530-4683 / 530-2753

Gracias!!!! Got all the info we needed and have scheduled to rent the facility for three days.

Thank for the offer to rent you S&W, but we do a substantial amount of training using Barrett products in the USA....Barrett produces the best tactical firearms in the calibers we utilize.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Barrett or Baretta?? Just curious....

I didn't know about Dan Wesson's stuff until a few years ago!!

HB

andrea9k

Apr 17, 2004
Barretts are rifles... I think. Beretta, firearms, I like the lil pistols. Baretta, was the detective in the TV show.... with the white bird on his shoulder!

Jess

Sep 19, 2005
well Barrett doesnt make anything in the calibers you mentioned in your first post......( which were all pistol calibers, and a shotgun round)

they do make heavy duty rifles though in the large bore calibers for serious shooters.

mostly sniper stuff.

Barrett Rifles

I wonder if one could even buy .50 BMG rounds in the DR!!!!!!

Hillbilly Dan Wessons and S&W are two different companies.

with Dan Wesson being formed by an offspring of the one of the S&W founders.

I dont think Dan Wessons are made anymore....now they are called Wesson Firearms I think.

anyway I went to a VERY modern range in Santo Domingo that my buddy belongs to last year. It was VERY nice. Huge club house, lots of skeet and trap fields, plus some pistol and rifle ports. All nicely laid out in grass and concrete.

I think they shot an BIG international shotgun competition there a few years ago...

bob

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
When it comes down to tactical firearms, anyone of them will be fine in the hands of a trained shooter. I've shot many different Glocks, Berretas, DEagles, BFR's, S&W, Rugers,1911's, so forth and so on, and whatever. It comes down to what you like and are comfy with. For certain situations some are better than others, it just matters if it shoots straight. Happy Training:classic:

Ricardo
NRA Member #XXXXXXX

zak023

Done and dusted!
Feb 8, 2006
1) Do you have ANY idea as to what this will cost???? There has been a prohibition on the import of ammo for like a year.
2) Make sure your clients pay for everything.
3) I have never heard of anyone renting weapons.

How i would go about it is to go to the federation in Santo Domingo and ask what is available. There is a top class range in Santo Domingo-Sans Souci Naval Base, if memory serves. And there is a trap/skeet range as well.

You need to have your clients make the contacts for you...

And, I have to say, I do not like your chances.

HB

This is the best and logical answer here..I Agree with this info ..........

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Well he did find a range I had actually visited but forgotten about on Romulo Betancourt, past Churchill and before Luperon. I think he was able to solve his problem but I was curious as to the weapons of choice...

HB

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Found this: Modern Firearms - Barrett "Light Fifty" M82A1 M82A2 M82A3 Sniper Rifle

And I am positive that there are scarce possibilities that one of these weapons is here in private hands....

Perhaps the OP eas confused?? Pietro Baretta??

Sorry to hear that the Dan Wessons are no longer available....beautiful firearm..

HB

Your right, the OP most likely meant Berreta and not Barrett. Those military sniper rifles cost anywhere from $5,000 to $11,000(M107), you won't find to many Americans with those type of rifles. Many american civilian sniper schools train on a bolt action .308 and add the necessities like a bi-pod, sling, scope, etc.

Sep 19, 2005
well guys the OP said that he trains with Barrett firearms IN THE US...but now he is in the DR giving some training...

thus I am sure he had the right name.

and I would call those barrett rifles tactical for sure.

and you would be suprised to know what some people have in the DR....

I just visit and I have shot some full autos , some silenced rifles! and a glock 40 full machine pistol....all IN THE DR!

talk about a hand full a 30 round glock clips gets empty fast on full auto, and the muzzle gets skyward in a hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha

some of these guys that are in the military, and or natinal guard can get their hands on anything that is out there!!!!

53fej2f.jpg

notice the eyes are closed!!! ha ha ha ha...these babies are LOUD!!!

6bap43p.jpg

bad bob

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2005
Richard that is a real ( I am pretty sure, because he has 2)1960's vintage US Goverment issued COLT m-16 with new 12" barrel and stocks and sights!

bob

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I love this board....it's full of know nothings at times (Hillbilly your name says it all...you are confused, worrying about how much ammo costs, puhleeeeeze....Dan Wesson......)

There are many posters I identify with THANKS for reading my post LauraPasiniFan.
Sweeeeeet pics bro!

You are correct, my contractors train with BARRETT tactical equipment in the USA. And thank G-D I live in a country that allows me to OWN such gear.....

We throw Italian made pistols away ....unfortunately, a lot of DR police carry them.

My organization prefers the I.M.I. Jericho 941(not the US Import Baby Eagle, the 941) for our side piece. (Sigs too)

In my OP I was looking for a range for handgun training. We found one and have rented it for private use for three days.

My company DOES NOT bring any weapons into the DR (like one poster suggested), our contract is for training not for importation....

Can't wait to get back and walk the streets of SD again.....soon come mon!

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
Richard that is a real ( I am pretty sure, because he has 2)1960's vintage US Goverment issued COLT m-16 with new 12" barrel and stocks and sights!

bob

OK, the stock and barrel threw me off, I thought is was either a M4 or AR-15, either way nice though.

Ricardo

Sep 19, 2005
pryat, dont confuse Hillbilly with his name. He has been in the DR for more than 30 years and is a huge wealth of information . he was around guns for most of his life in the states and may not be up on the leading designs of specialized weapons( which the barrett rifles certainly are).

His point being soooo mant people type poorly( me included) .So people who reply need to verify sometimes the content before they can help out.

He can hold his own on just about any subject, even if you may have the edge on tactical weaponry.

and i have 6 Dan Wesson reovolvers , all for Metalic Silhouette Shooting and they are VERY accurate pistols . My largest is the 357 SUPER MAG. I have a10" barrled .22 single action DW revolver that will hold 1" groups at 100 yards with Eley ammo.

not main stream for sure, but accurate pistols....now back to were we were.....

tell how the range is and how it compares to quality ranges in the US...because I think I might have been to that range .......( didnt shoot, my buddy had a range board meeting to attend)

bob