Don't hold your breath. Most businesses
in and around Sosua operate on a month
to month basis. I know a few business owners
up there who were already hurting prior to this
China virus. With so many of these businesses
remaining closed for who knows how long, I'm
willing to bet several of them won't make it, they're
done. If loss of places to eat, drink, sleep and dance
is substantial and no tourist are traveling down here to indulge then who are these women going to be
selling it to? each other?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Don't hold your breath. Most businesses
in and around Sosua operate on a month
to month basis. I know a few business owners
up there who were already hurting prior to this
China virus. With so many of these businesses
remaining closed for who knows how long, I'm
willing to bet several of them won't make it, they're
done. If loss of places to eat, drink, sleep and dance
is substantial and no tourist are traveling down here to indulge then who are these women going to be
selling it to? each other?

Many businesses will sting for sure, just like here in the US. However when the dust settles come hell or high water the chicas will be back and they will be hungry. Once the airports open back up the chicas ( who incidentally monitor incoming flights) will ready willing and able

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Many businesses will sting for sure, just like here in the US. However when the dust settles come hell or high water the chicas will be back and they will be hungry. Once the airports open back up the chicas ( who incidentally monitor incoming flights) will ready willing and able

But the girls won't come if the guys aren't here waiting. Ahnvee and the East end of PC was still an experiment when things went south with the virus. I think it's 50/50 as to whether it will really take off. I also think it entirely possible that many guys will move on to greener pastures. Some already have. And I don't think anybody is coming down till next high season.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
But the girls won't come if the guys aren't here waiting. Ahnvee and the East end of PC was still an experiment when things went south with the virus. I think it's 50/50 as to whether it will really take off. I also think it entirely possible that many guys will move on to greener pastures. Some already have. And I don't think anybody is coming down till next high season.

Will be a different landscape in 6 months.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

The boys on the other sites are already saving up and planning their next trip to Sosua, because they know the girls will be starving and desperate....meaning big savings on lodging and entertainment. As far as the local businesses, timing is perfect for the virus. Low season officially starts after Easter, so in retrospect it began a few weeks earlier. Things could have been worse if it hit in December.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think this summer and off-season will be worse than last year and we won't see any significant number of tourists coming here until next year.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to come to Sosua and chase the chicas with lingering cases of CV19 and I've heard some of the experts predicting a secondary, smaller outbreak next Oct or Nov.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I think this summer and off-season will be worse than last year and we won't see any significant number of tourists coming here until next year.

I can't imagine anyone wanting to come to Sosua and chase the chicas with lingering cases of CV19 and I've heard some of the experts predicting a secondary, smaller outbreak next Oct or Nov.
The entire tourism sector will suffer until next year at a minimum.

I have refunded deposits for 2020, and won't put tours on the calendar until winter 2021...at the earliest.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The entire tourism sector will suffer until next year at a minimum.

I have refunded deposits for 2020, and won't put tours on the calendar until winter 2021...at the earliest.
..good idea..some of my neighbors today are acting like there is no quarantine.. I think this this is a sign of things to come.Doing this prolongs the virus.. remember this started with only one person in china..so if when everyone thinks the virus in the DR is over and there is 1 person left with no symtoms and is a carrier, and that person goes to a wedding party in Cap Cana with about 500 others...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
..good idea..some of my neighbors today are acting like there is no quarantine.. I think this this is a sign of things to come.Doing this prolongs the virus.. remember this started with only one person in china..so if when everyone thinks the virus in the DR is over and there is 1 person left with no symtoms and is a carrier, and that person goes to a wedding party in Cap Cana with about 500 others...

100% agreed.
The amount of people standing
in line in front of stores less than a foot
away from one another with no
protection is scarey. Its the way
they are, its the way it is and no
warnings or speeches are going
to change their life-long habits.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
For those of you who live in
or around Sousa and are curious
how this curfew is going for folks
up there living on the "other side of
the tracks" feel free to have a look
at a vid a friend/ former neighbor
of mine sent me earlier.
https://youtu.be/aJZqXHyssso

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There are too many people still moving around outside the curfew hours (probably even during the curfew hours) to stem the spread here in the DR. The ability to isolate people in a separate part of the home doesn't exist so even those in isolation are infecting others. There certainly aren't enough public health spaces currently to isolate people outside the home. As there is no hospital space buffer in this country to fall back on, the majority of the people must stay home most of the time.

If the curfew isn't extended and expanded, then expect more cities/towns to be sealed up - easily 25,000 by the end of April assuming there are that many test kits.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
This Johnny guy keeps on saying that these people can't work. Not one of those guys has a legit job to begin with. Just blaming the government on their bad luck. Johnny should start by pawning his golden earrings and chain. And your buddy making this video slapping skin with people in the street??? not much brighter helping spread the virus. All in all, Charamicos is still very quiet to it's usual self.

To clarify. This video was not sent to
me by the person who made it.
Simply reposted whats happening
on the (not so far) other side of town...
buddy.

Legit job or not. Let them run hungry
and paradise will start to feel a litlle
less like paradise for some of you
well to do folks who live up there.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Will be a different landscape in 6 months.

Depends on how fast they fast track a vaccine.
A week of debauchery in DR isn't worth one's life and unless the warmer weather helps snuff the virus, it will explode in the barrios from the lack of concern, protection and disregard for social distancing if not outright deliberate mingling

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Depends on how fast they fast track a vaccine.
A week of debauchery in DR isn't worth one's life and unless the warmer weather helps snuff the virus, it will explode in the barrios from the lack of concern, protection and disregard for social distancing if not outright deliberate mingling

A very nice older women,
probably in her 80's, stopped
me across the street from where
I live yesterday wearing no protection and asked me why
I've been wearing a mask the last
couple of days. I did my best to explain
to her what is going on. Asked if she lives
alone, she said "yes but my son comes to
visit me at least once a week".

All I could think to myself when walking
away was this is going to kill a lot more people
down here than they think it will.

Last edited:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
A very nice older women,

So true and sad...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
A very nice older women,

Particularly because doctors are boycotting hospital Ricardo Limarado over 'lack of protective equipment' in Puerto Plata which is Sosua's closest place for Wuhan virus treatment.
I gues their oath meant nothing to them.

Tug7777

Mar 17, 2018
Private taxi to Haiti border

Charimicos looks relatively quiet - especially compared to reports in other areas I've seen.

Off Topic,, I have a Lady Friend who is Haitian and wants to reyturn via private taxi from Pourto Platta to her family in Haiti,, are they restricted to no travel ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Particularly because doctors are boycotting hospital Ricardo Limarado over 'lack of protective equipment' in Puerto Plata which is Sosua's closest place for Wuhan virus treatment.
I gues their oath meant nothing to them.

I am aware of the ancient Greek oath on this topic.
Do you think doctors in the DR actually take it?

Status
Not open for further replies.