lists Scams to beware of DR that has happen to you...

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
New scam currently taking place is the police are stopping you in your car if you don't have a mask on.....the one who stop me I told him I cant die I am superman only thing that can kill me is Kryptonite look on his face was priceless I still give him a 200 pesos ....because I'm a wheel greaser

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
New scam currently taking place is the police are stopping you in your car if you don't have a mask on.....the one who stop me I told him I cant die I am superman only thing that can kill me is Kryptonite look on his face was priceless I still give him a 200 pesos ....because I'm a wheel greaser
NICE.. .I salute you sir ... this is how I roll as well... Some Comedy, a good laugh, but grease them just a little so they dont get insulted ..They will remember your Face and Sense of Humor ,and that you were not making fun of their Little scam .. playing " no spiki spanish" dont work no more... you gotta UP your game in the DR , in order to survive .. no matter how bad your Spanish is , you gotta engage .. last thing you want is to hear " estupido ruyio gringo"

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
The other day a guy waves me over as im driving to sosua from PP. Hey I saw your wheel blast out liquid and your wheel wobbling he says. I say no you didn't its fine, looks fine drives fine no vibration and no liquid except for airconditioning condensation. He reachs underneath and shows me a steering arm. Nope not mine, its too big for my car. He reachs under again and says its reinstalled but I should follow him to his garage. Nope I says Ill drive it to my son in laws garage. He drove off with a look of disgust.

Reactions: David B

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
The other day a guy waves me over as im driving to sosua from PP. Hey I saw your wheel blast out liquid and your wheel wobbling he says. I say no you didn't its fine, looks fine drives fine no vibration and no liquid except for airconditioning condensation. He reachs underneath and shows me a steering arm. Nope not mine, its too big for my car. He reachs under again and says its reinstalled but I should follow him to his garage. Nope I says Ill drive it to my son in laws garage. He drove off with a look of disgust.
Nice.. what amazes me how stupid do they think we are .........

David B

Aug 31, 2017

Ha! Same thing happened to me in Sosua. Was it a fat f*cker with a gap in his teeth driving a white CRV?

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
The same thing happened to friends of mine, they heard a thump and they pulled over. A Dominican guy said this fell off your car, said can i see it, he handed it to her and she said thanks i'll have my mechanic put it back on. He asked for the part, she said no it's mine isn't it and she and her husband jumped in the car and drove off. I saw the part at Roberto's bar, it was a tye-rod end.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
You love this one! My girls Kia many miles and trips to PP and back to Sosua had an issue with the front strut! Some guy waved us down and sure enough the shock was broken and the strut was basically not there. I gave the the guy 1000 for advising near the bridge at cangrejo hahaha

user123

Aug 16, 2017
Same thing happened to me, the guy was driving a white Sonata.

csteinwand

May 11, 2020
Puerto Plata
police seem to be the biggest scammers I've come across in my years here, took me for $100 for driving while american. was almost fun to watch the 3 moto police scheming after they saw a car full of americans. i've heard stories of the police planting drugs if you don't "play" along.. wasn't willing to risk it anyways that night

Reactions: David B

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Wow, you actually stopped your vehicle to engage with a stranger? Suppose his intent was to rob you instead of scam you? Even if you stopped near a crowd of people, he could have improvised the scam and claimed a part from your car hit his vehicle and caused damage. The same way he lied about a part from your car, he can change the lie to something else once he got you to stop.

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
I got scammed at the gas station in Sosua going towards Cabarete a few years back. I asked for 3000 pesos worth of gas. I was distracted talking to my passenger in the front seat instead of paying attention to the pump and the attendant. Apparently my vehicle had reached full before the 3000 mark. When I turned to see the progress, he had reset the pump and was standing by it like he was still pumping gas. But there was nothing on the display. Of course he claimed it was now full, but couldnt explain what he was doing.

I took an L that day, and paid the 3000. He taught me a valuable lesson. Pay strict attention to the whole filling process. This thread has reinforced a few things. Make sure they start at zero. Make sure you get the amount you asked for. Assume they will scam given the opportunity. Make sure the numbers are clear, and not defective on the pump. Ive been directed to pumps where it's hard to read the numbers on the display. They use that to their advantage. Get out of the car, and make sure you get what you are paying for, and that the gas cap is put back in place. Make sure they arent filling a gas bottle/can behind your vehicle, instead of your vehicle. Check your change and all receipts ( if paying by card ).

Big

Apr 24, 2019
if a girl tells you that you are handsome and have beautiful eyes you are about to get scammed and it wont be for a few hundred pesos

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Oil Under a Vehicle.

This happened to us a few years ago in POP when a girl came in to the restaurant we were at saying there is oil leaking from our car. Sure enough when I went out there was a pool of oil under the car. So I checked under the hood and found nothing amiss but noticed there was oil ON the TOP of the offside tire. Very strange. There was a guy with the girl and he said "I can take you to a garage to have it fixed" . I said no I will finish my lunch and they hurried away.
What had happened was that they had squirted oil over the tire to make it look as if it had come from the engine. It was clean oil just out of the can which gave me a clue! This was down by the Law courts ! So beware !

Olly

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I got scammed at the gas station in Sosua going towards Cabarete a few years back. I asked for 3000 pesos worth of gas. I was distracted talking to my passenger in the front seat instead of paying attention to the pump and the attendant. Apparently my vehicle had reached full before the 3000 mark. When I turned to see the progress, he had reset the pump and was standing by it like he was still pumping gas. But there was nothing on the display. Of course he claimed it was now full, but couldnt explain what he was doing.

I took an L that day, and paid the 3000. He taught me a valuable lesson. Pay strict attention to the whole filling process. This thread has reinforced a few things. Make sure they start at zero. Make sure you get the amount you asked for. Assume they will scam given the opportunity. Make sure the numbers are clear, and not defective on the pump. Ive been directed to pumps where it's hard to read the numbers on the display. They use that to their advantage. Get out of the car, and make sure you get what you are paying for, and that the gas cap is put back in place. Make sure they arent filling a gas bottle/can behind your vehicle, instead of your vehicle. Check your change and all receipts ( if paying by card ).

Many times the scam is actually the pump measuring incorrectly. 5 gallons on the pump can sometimes be 4.5 gallons in the tank.

Here where I live the stations attendants insist I look at the pump before they start pumping, even though I always get out of the car and stand next to them when they fill the tank. I count that as exercise too.

Reactions: bienamor

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I was on my way into Puerto Plata from Sosua and two guys in a little sedan alongside. I felt a bump but kept driving. Then again a second bump and then they began pointing. So I pulled over and the guy said something fell off your car and look there's liquid dripping. I thing they had throw a plastic jug with water.
He wanted be to go to his friends garage but funny thing is I was on my way to a mechanic anyway.
There was nothing wrong just a scam. Probably best never to pull over for a Dominican pointing at your car if it's still moving. And never ever follow them to a garage or other place.
Looked at buying a car once and met the guy in La Sirena. Told me the car was perfect. OK let's test drive it. 100 yards out of the parking lot all the lights went out and car shut down. Decided I'd walk back - he called me later offering it for $1,000 US less. Told him no gracias incluso si es gratis