When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
For me personally , the issue is not when the DR will open. We know that will happen out of necessity in the not too distant future. The real issue is, will the seasonal tourist with no family or business ties return to the DR in the next 12 months.
For me personally, my wife have been taking at least one , but sometimes two DR vacations a year for the last 20 years. I can say there is a VERY real chance we will not return in the winter of 2021. This saddens me but I know we are not alone in this thought.

My apologies if a similar sentiment has already been expressed in the previous 20 + pages. Admittedly I did not read them all. If this was repetitive carry on.....
I can't see why you would not return to the DR as normal in the winter, assuming everything is open as usual then. I don't know where you come from, but there is danger of infection every country, and here it's warm and humid, which some say makes it more difficult for the virus to survive.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I can't see why you would not return to the DR as normal in the winter, assuming everything is open as usual then. I don't know where you come from, but there is danger of infection every country, and here it's warm and humid, which some say makes it more difficult for the virus to survive.
True if it weren't for knuckleheads having a cross-burning on the beach in Puerto Plata. OK it wasn't a burning, but might as well have been.

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
War and humid? Just like Florida where I am suffering from self incarseration due to our guv'ner.
33,000 + a few vs. 1,800 deaths. That's .54 %. Not really scarey looked at that way. Trying to find 'real' numbers is difficult to be sure, but here's some anyway.
NYC, 64% of infected are over 65 with a 64% death rate
With pre-existing such as obeseity, diabeties or coronary disease, [any or all] 94%
64 and under you ask? 2%
So what was gained by all this? The more money you spend, wether you have it or not, will buy you power.
If it ruins a country or two? Hey! listen up. They are still in power, and hungry for more.

Taylor

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Jan 28, 2005

True as that may be, people up north are generally scared and have a mind set that it's safer at home. The economic impacts of this fear will be harder than people realize.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Could you tell me more about that?

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
AA just proposed to me a flight out of STI via the US to europe on the 4th of june.
I say proposed, because it is my return leg of my ticket...... so no extra $ for AA.
Do they know something we do not ?

Reactions: aarhus

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Westjet had previously announced that all international flights were cancelled until June 4th. They've also announced layoffs, and I would imagine that they will offer reduced flights when they do open up.

At this point, I would imainge Samana airport flights from Canada won't be back until the end of this year.
My Westjet App shows flights returning to the DR the first week of July which is when I hoped to return. After what happened in POP a few days ago, it’s highly unlikely that will happen.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My Brit house guest is anxious to return

His embassy tells him he can get to Madrid next week from SDQ... and the UK from there
They will confirm

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There are repatriation flights to Madrid. Spanish and other EU nationals, including Brits (!) are eligible to apply, but no guarantee they will get on the flight. My question would be about public transport and onward travel in Spain itself.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The full chapter and verse on how to get back to the UK at the moment is here:

It mentions flights from SDQ > MAD on Air Europa on 4th and 5th May. Frankly I'd rather take my chances with Coronavirus than have to endure a long-haul flight on Air Europa, but hey ho.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
The full chapter and verse on how to get back to the UK at the moment is here:

It mentions flights from SDQ > MAD on Air Europa on 4th and 5th May. Frankly I'd rather take my chances with Coronavirus than have to endure a long-haul flight on Air Europa, but hey ho.

Maybe it has less to do now with fear of the virus and more because they had not expected it to last this long or for personal reasons have to travel. Unless you are Spanish and your destination is Madrid this sounds stressful.

austriaco

Mar 16, 2020
Maybe it has less to do now with fear of the virus and more because they had not expected it to last this long or for personal reasons have to travel. Unless you are Spanish and your destination is Madrid this sounds stressful.

This is very usefull information for the Austrians I am helping. But it seems impossible to get from Spain to Austria. Flights from Spain are not allowed to land in Austria and transiting Spain, France and Germany to go to Austria by train or car seems impossible and high risk to catch the virus. As you say it sounds stessfull or maybe impossible. Maybe in a month time with infection numbers going down in those countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.