When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No, not really. But I can guess how the world will react.

1) Official govt travel advisories in most countries will continue to advise citizen not to travel abroad for the foreseeable future.

2) Insurance companies will continue to deny travel coverage to anyone who chooses to disregard the advice and refrain from int'l travel.

3) DR Insurance companies who are still issuing policies are excluding any treatment related to CV19 in those new policies.

4) If you leave your home country there is the very real risk that you could find yourself stranded abroad again for a whole multitude of reasons.

5) Voluntary travel to countries that require a period of quarantine upon arrival doesn't make sense.

6) Things may appear to be bad (CV19) where you are now, but trust me, anywhere in the Caribbean or the less developed world they are much worse (unquantifiably worse).

7) It is still and will remain a priority to attempt to protect the chronically ill and aged from becoming infected by an increasingly anxious and cavalier public. If there is any logic being applied to this situation at all by any national government, then int'l travel should be the very last "reopening" measure to see the light of day. Even if the DR loses it's collective mind completely and opens the borders to tourists without arrival restrictions, most of the world will maintain policies that will make such a trip impractical, possibly prohibited and very inconvenient to return home from when the vacation is over. Those wishing to travel and stay somewhere for an extended period of time might find that a bit easier to do. But, to do so without adequate health insurance in place would be extremely risky bordering on foolhardy.

There is lots of CV19 here in the DR for people to catch. The idea that someone who has not yet achieved immunity would voluntarily choose to come here, boggles my mind.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

1) Official govt travel advisories in most countries will continue to advise citizen not to travel abroad for the foreseeable future.

2) Insurance companies will continue to deny travel coverage to anyone who chooses to disregard the advice and refrain from int'l travel.

3) DR Insurance companies who are still issuing policies are excluding any treatment related to CV19 in those new policies.

4) If you leave your home country there is the very real risk that you could find yourself stranded abroad again for a whole multitude of reasons.

5) Voluntary travel to countries that require a period of quarantine upon arrival doesn't make sense.

6) Things may appear to be bad (CV19) where you are now, but trust me, anywhere in the Caribbean or the less developed world they are much worse (unquantifiably worse).

7) It is still and will remain a priority to attempt to protect the chronically ill and aged from becoming infected by an increasingly anxious and cavalier public. If there is any logic being applied to this situation at all by any national government, then int'l travel should be the very last "reopening" measure to see the light of day. Even if the DR loses it's collective mind completely and opens the borders to tourists without arrival restrictions, most of the world will maintain policies that will make such a trip impractical, possibly prohibited and very inconvenient to return home from when the vacation is over. Those wishing to travel and stay somewhere for an extended period of time might find that a bit easier to do. But, to do so without adequate health insurance in place would be extremely risky bordering on foolhardy.

There is lots of CV19 here in the DR for people to catch. The idea that someone who has not yet achieved immunity would voluntarily choose to come here, boggles my mind.

People who plan to travel will travel regardless. They don't see things the way you do or may have different circumstances.There won't be many people who would take that chance though.

Just to illustrate: if there were flights to my home country in the less developed world where my parents are, I would probably go. Why ? I have a house there, more space, much less cases (I disagree that things are much worse everywhere else than in the developed world). Of course, I would self quarantine for 14 days (much easier there). I work remotely, health insurance or travel coverage wouldn't be an issue.

Sep 22, 2009

Half way through #7 my Throazine wore off

Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
People who plan to travel will travel regardless. They don't see things the way you do or may have different circumstances.There won't be many people who would take that chance though.

Just to illustrate: if there were flights to my home country in the less developed world where my parents are, I would probably go. Why ? I have a house there, more space, much less cases (I disagree that things are much worse everywhere else than in the developed world). Of course, I would self quarantine for 14 days (much easier there). I work remotely, health insurance or travel coverage wouldn't be an issue.

I think he meant the DR is doing relatively ok compared to many other places as its in the DR most of us on this forum are.

Reactions: Caonabo

Mr Deal HD

Sep 11, 2019
I think he meant the DR is doing relatively ok compared to many other places as its in the DR most of us on this forum are.

I’m in the Bahamas and we’re miles ahead of the US and Canada. So are several Caribbean countries like Cayman Islands, TCI, etc. The DR is doing much better as well statistically. Several wealthy millionaires just flew into Nassau from California in their PJs to escape the chaos in the US a few days ago. They also brought thousands of medical supplies with them thinking we would need them. We took them anyway. Lol

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Really ?

I understood the complete opposite since "you" in the list refers to travelers who intends to fly to DR.

Actually, most Caribbean islands are doing MUCH better than DR (in nber of cases per capita, death etc) ,which doesn't mean that DR is doing bad by the way.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
Really ?

I understood the complete opposite since "you" in the list refers to travelers who intends to fly to DR.

Actually, most Caribbean islands are doing MUCH better than DR (in nber of cases per capita, death etc) ,which doesn't mean that DR is doing bad by the way.

I apologize. I think you are right regarding what he meant.

Regarding the DR and rest of Caribbean I think it’s difficult to compare. They are all small except Haiti and Cuba.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
As always, this is my opinion, yours may differ.

None of the Caribbean countries have a stellar testing record. As such, the situation on the ground there is exactly as it is is here in the DR - no one knows for sure. If you use the the published numbers of tested confirmed cases, you do so knowing they are all inaccurate.

The developing world is not a place that many media outlets cover with any regularity. Columbia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico Jamaica, Aruba, Puerto Rico, Trinidad etc are all experiencing undocumented infection rates. It may not be an ideal situation in Smuckmagosh Ohio or Wawa Ontario, but the access to decent and mostly consistent medical care makes staying there much less of a personal health gamble than choosing to travel to a country where the situation is mostly unknown with an inferior or at least limited healthcare system being a pretty safe assumption.

The DR is not doing all that well but saying that means defining which country the DR is being compared to. All of the numbers reporting the extent of disease and death in this country are not representative of reality. Not that the DR is any different than many other countries in this regard. You just can't say with an credibility that the DR is doing well, or even ok. All you can say with certainty is that you and no one you know has been sick or died yet.

That is all that I was saying - traveling to the developing world now as opposed to staying where you are is a gamble that very few will have a logical justification for undertaking.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Deal HD
Jan 3, 2003
That is all that I was saying - traveling to the developing world now as opposed to staying where you are is a gamble that very few will have a logical justification for undertaking.

Exactly!! There is great fear of leaving the coronavirus free environment of one's home to travel to the Great Unknown. Traveling to the DR might as well be a 15th century adventure to the unexplored.

The DR may not be the 3rd world of the 3rd world but it sure is darn close. Colombia which is also 3rd world makes the DR look like Haiti by comparison. Huge risk factor during a coronavirus pandemic.

Why those privileged to be born or reside in the 1st world would even consider going to the DR is beyond reasonable.

All you pirates not withstanding.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Exactly!! There is great fear of leaving the coronavirus free environment of one's home to travel to the Great Unknown. Traveling to the DR might as well be a 15th century adventure to the unexplored.

The DR may not be the 3rd world of the 3rd world but it sure is darn close. Colombia which is also 3rd world makes the DR look like Haiti by comparison. Huge risk factor during a coronavirus pandemic.

Why those privileged to be born or reside in the 1st world would even consider going to the DR is beyond reasonable.

All you pirates not withstanding.

O/C I would assume that you are not in the DR presently. If covid19 never had entered into our lives, would you have gone back to the DR? I ask this because I detect from your posts (government, corruption, privilege, etc), with or without covid19 , you have no desire to be in the country. Am I right?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I’m in the Bahamas and we’re miles ahead of the US and Canada. So are several Caribbean countries like Cayman Islands, TCI, etc. The DR is doing much better as well statistically. Several wealthy millionaires just flew into Nassau from California in their PJs to escape the chaos in the US a few days ago. They also brought thousands of medical supplies with them thinking we would need them. We took them anyway. Lol
Social distancing was designed to slow the spread of the disease, not to stop it. Social distancing is dragging out the time it takes to reach herd immunity, if herd immunity is possible. It appears herd immunity is possible at least to a degree. A trade off of not overwhelming the medical systems in the short term while causing immense damage to the economy. Trade offs.

The end result in places practicing social distancing "effectively" is that CV-19 will likely flare up again unless herd immunity is reached. That is how pandemics work. It remains to be seen how well any place will do since this is not yet over and it is too early to tell.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NYTimes today
May be a while before we see travel

The Airline Business Is Terrible. It Will Probably Get Even Worse.
An industry that is intimately familiar with failure confronts a crisis unlike any other. Executives say they have no idea when passengers will return.

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
I just want to know when the DR will allow legal and permanent residents back into the country. I know they have allowed citizens but residents have been blocked out.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

1. True
2. False
3. False
4. True (but always possible)
5. False (as discussed with travel back to Canada/to each their own)
6. False
7. True/True/True (but only for a limited timeframe)/True (as always, but again, to each their own)

The worst is behind us. The panacea has been worse than the illness itself. No thousands of deaths. No corpses piling in the streets. No rioting. No looting. Only people who want to go back to work, and provide for their families.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As always, this is my opinion, yours may differ.

None of the Caribbean countries have a stellar testing record. As such, the situation on the ground there is exactly as it is is here in the DR - no one knows for sure. If you use the the published numbers of tested confirmed cases, you do so knowing they are all inaccurate.

The developing world is not a place that many media outlets cover with any regularity. Columbia, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico Jamaica, Aruba, Puerto Rico, Trinidad etc are all experiencing undocumented infection rates. It may not be an ideal situation in Smuckmagosh Ohio or Wawa Ontario, but the access to decent and mostly consistent medical care makes staying there much less of a personal health gamble than choosing to travel to a country where the situation is mostly unknown with an inferior or at least limited healthcare system being a pretty safe assumption.

The DR is not doing all that well but saying that means defining which country the DR is being compared to. All of the numbers reporting the extent of disease and death in this country are not representative of reality. Not that the DR is any different than many other countries in this regard. You just can't say with an credibility that the DR is doing well, or even ok. All you can say with certainty is that you and no one you know has been sick or died yet.

"As always, this is my opinion, yours may differ."

So, we can just chalk it up to another op-ed piece. As long as we have clarified this.

Status
Not open for further replies.