Historical Exchange Rates per U.S. Government

Jan 9, 2004
If you look at the ""Today's US Exchange Rate" thread, you'll see the peso went up from 57 to 58 in just one week - at least at CaribeExpress in Cabarete.

57.75 at Caribe Express in Moca.

Sent money this morning from the US to cover some future expenses for my house there. Specifically checked the box requesting dollars be delivered. They of course send pesos @ 57 thinking no one will say anything. After a plea to accept pesos, it is rejected, and they finally return with dollars in small denominations. When asked the current exchange rate....the driver indicates 57.75.

More importantly, and further confirming my suspicions, there is a shortage of dollars on the Island. They have never brought to my house US 5's and 10's when paying in dollars...........ever.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
57.75 at Caribe Express in Moca.

Sent money this morning from the US to cover some future expenses for my house there. Specifically checked the box requesting dollars be delivered. They of course send pesos @ 57 thinking no one will say anything. After a plea to accept pesos, it is rejected, and they finally return with dollars in small denominations. When asked the current exchange rate....the driver indicates 57.75.

More importantly, and further confirming my suspicions, there is a shortage of dollars on the Island. They have never brought to my house US 5's and 10's when paying in dollars...........ever.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
The official rate a BC is 55.50. I have accounts at Banco Santa Cruz and BHD and I can get more than that changing money online with them and do even better if I go to my banks and change a thousand or more - close to the 58 I got at CaribeExpress.

When even the banks are paying more than the official rate(by quite a bit), I would agree, there seems to be shortage of dollars here.

Jan 9, 2004
The official rate a BC is 55.50. I have accounts at Banco Santa Cruz and BHD and I can get more than that changing money online with them and do even better if I go to my banks and change a thousand or more - close to the 58 I got at CaribeExpress.

When even the banks are paying more than the official rate(by quite a bit), I would agree, there seems to be shortage of dollars here.

The official buy/sell rate is 55.4 to buy your dollars and 55.5 to sell you dollars. It is an unrealistic "official wish list" as that spread is too tight to even be realistic. But it is the "official" published rate. Of course, then there is the reality.

If you could actually buy dollars for 55.5, you would have people doing an arbitrage between the Cambio's rate and the BC rate. By way of example, I could have gotten 57.75 pesos per dollar yesterday. And this morning, if I could take those pesos and buy dollars at the "official" rate of 55.5, I would have just picked up an additional 2+ pesos for that exchange. My clients, who regularly change large amounts of dollars into pesos and vice versa, could make a nice living just exploiting that spread.................if it were real.......but it is not.

Try finding dollars to buy at the "official" exchange rate.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Exactly. Guy walks into a store and says "give me that steak. How much?" $20 dollars. "you're a crook. The guy across the street wants $10." Whey don't you buy it there?
"He doesn't have any."

Big

Apr 24, 2019
The official buy/sell rate is 55.4 to buy your dollars and 55.5 to sell you dollars. It is an unrealistic "official wish list" as that spread is too tight to even be realistic. But it is the "official" published rate. Of course, then there is the reality.

If you could actually buy dollars for 55.5, you would have people doing an arbitrage between the Cambio's rate and the BC rate. By way of example, I could have gotten 57.75 pesos per dollar yesterday. And this morning, if I could take those pesos and buy dollars at the "official" rate of 55.5, I would have just picked up an additional 2+ pesos for that exchange. My clients, who regularly change large amounts of dollars into pesos and vice versa, could make a nice living just exploiting that spread.................if it were real.......but it is not.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
kudos; there might be 9 people on here that can use "arbitrage" in a sentence

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
With exchange rate 1 to 65 it will be much easier to live here for all the expats.
Some local items may end up being
a little less expensive but i don't see this having a major impact on the quality of life down here for expats/ making life "easier".

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
All very true. The point I was trying to make, and I've been changing dollars here once or twice a month for 14 years, I have never seen the bank rates for buying pesos higher than that at BC until recently. Some of the cambios have at times come close, or even matched the BC rate, and on a few rare occasions have beat it by maybe 0.10. That makes me suspect there is a shortage of dollars. Add to that the fact that my banks are limiting dollar withdrawals - I think $1000/day(?).

It would be interesting to see what would happen if you actually went to BC. I'm sure they would be glad to give you 54.4 for your dollars, but they're not going to sell you dollars for 55.5.

Feb 7, 2007
Let's hope that type of decline never happens again in the DR.

The Dominican peso is weak...............but not Argentinian peso or Venezuelan bolivar weak.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yesterday around 1.30 pm casa de cambio wrote me message that buy rate reached 59.
It's been going up peso a week for the past 3 weeks.

Few days ago I found a very coherent article on non-main-news website, which goes into a great detail explaining the hikes. So a really professionally written article, not just some federation of merchants head complaining about rising dollar and affect on prices.

Jan 9, 2004
Yesterday around 1.30 pm casa de cambio wrote me message that buy rate reached 59.
It's been going up peso a week for the past 3 weeks.

Few days ago I found a very coherent article on non-main-news website, which goes into a great detail explaining the hikes. So a really professionally written article, not just some federation of merchants head complaining about rising dollar and affect on prices.

And the "official" Banco Central rate is now 55.5 to buy and 55.6 to sell.

Given your message from the cambio, the unofficial buy/sell spread is widening..............and that is rarely a good thing.....and portends the economy is weakening rapidly, or dollars are scarce...............and perhaps as is more likely the case.........both.

Hopefully not to many people bought peso certificates because of the "high" rate of interest................because they are now witnessing the start of the death of their money.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: cavok
Jan 9, 2004
Further confirmation of the current shortage of dollars;

For as long as I can remember, when the government announces there is no shortage of dollars.................there really is.............a shortage of dollars.....and the movement of the peso usually confirms it.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Farmer

Antiguo
Dec 2, 2003
Chele. Is it just a figure of speech now? The exchange rate was RD 1.17:$1 in 1973 when I first moved to the DR. You got centavos back when you exchanged. A soda bottle full of lamp oil was 10 chele. Dame cinco meant 5 cents. A tiny box with two chicles was a chele or two. Pesos were serious. Rent on my campo house was 15 of those big boys. Farmer

Jan 9, 2004
FWIW: Banco Central established a new buy/sell dollar rate:

55.90 buy/55.99 sell. Cambio's will likely offer 58+ or better to buy this week.

Of course the Banco Central could raise interest rates, which would strengthen the peso..............but..........that would further impair the economy from recovering.

63:1 is still a likely target rate for December.....given the behavior of the peso this year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
FWIW: Banco Central established a new buy/sell dollar rate:

55.90 buy/55.99 sell. Cambio's will likely offer 58+ or better to buy this week.

Of course the Banco Central could raise interest rates, which would strengthen the peso..............but..........that would further impair the economy from recovering.

63:1 is still a likely target rate for December.....given the behavior of the peso this year.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
I agree with you ... plus 60 by December maybe low 70