Why the high electricity bills?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've lucked out I guess.

I am still paying less than 1000 pesos a month for my electricity even with two inverter A/C's, microwave, stacked washer/dryer, and a slew of equipment with LED lights indicating they're turned on.

No "promedios" here.

I get a weekly email report from Edesur's "Mi consumo" function and my consumption rarely goes over 4-5 during the week and less than 10 on weekends.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Not right Caonabo

My friend pays monthly... doesn;t work so ahs no changes in habits

Furthermore, the days are longer - less luz consumed

Something is drastically wrong w/ the system... across the country
The offices are FULL of complainers...

BIG PROBLEM !!!
we are a country full of consumers who would not understand the easy way as eplained by Caonabo.
so that the ofices are full of complainers,
does Zero mean that there really is a problem for the masses.

Reactions: Caonabo
Sep 4, 2012
I've lucked out I guess.

I am still paying less than 1000 pesos a month for my electricity even with two inverter A/C's, microwave, stacked washer/dryer, and a slew of equipment with LED lights indicating they're turned on.

No "promedios" here.

I get a weekly email report from Edesur's "Mi consumo" function and my consumption rarely goes over 4-5 during the week and less than 10 on weekends.

Do you just turn the LED lights on the AC as accessories, or have you forgotten that the AC is actually to get the place cold?

Don't believe the amount you've claimed you paid.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
FYI, the power distributors just released a new joint press release where they maintain that users generally have used more power during the curfew. The EDE’s have taken steps to maintain power 24/7 during the crisis for the benefit of the public, and especially those who did not enjoy that service before, have increased their consumption. There is no double facturation or increased rates, but the price pr. kilowatt may increase when you consume more, due to the tariff scale.

The good news is that the new Punta Catalina power generator has made it possible to maintain 24/7 power during the crisis and producing electric power at lower costs than previous years, reducing the financial deficit.

Source :

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Do you just turn the LED lights on the AC as accessories, or have you forgotten that the AC is actually to get the place cold?

We use a/c in two rooms, the office and the bedroom. The office for maybe an average of 2 hours per night, and the bedroom around 8-10 hours daily. Our cost per month is normal 2100-3000 per month.

Reactions: etolw

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We use a/c in two rooms, the office and the bedroom. The office for maybe an average of 2 hours per night, and the bedroom around 8-10 hours daily. Our cost per month is normal 2100-3000 per month.

Same here.
A/C around 8 hrs. every night, on from Friday 6 pm until Mon 5 am. I have them set at 76 degrees-more than cool enough for me. Remember they are inverter; when I had my conventional ones I paid around 1800-2000 a month.

I wash 4 loads of laundry every week. Gas dryer.

Here's what was published about the high rates in El Caribe today:

Electricity distribution companies Edenorte, Edesur and Edeste announced that estimated billings are being corrected after many customers complained after receiving significant increases in their bills.
In a joint statement, the distributors explained the reason for the increases reflected in the invoices of regulated and non-regulated customers.

"As a result of the effects of the health crisis we have experienced since mid-March, the distributors, covered by the General Electricity Law (125-01), partially made estimated invoices, which are being corrected after the conditions have allowed our readers can do the corresponding readings ”, explained the distribution companies.

Regarding customer complaints through the media and directly to their offices, due to billing in many businesses and industries that have remained without productive activity, they explained that this has happened with customers whose contracts have contracted power, as established in resolutions SIEC-237-98, and the subsequent ones issued by the Electricity Superintendency, "for which they have been invoiced with a minimum service payment".

They noted that in many cases "we have already reached partial payment agreements and we are looking for a collective solution for them."

Regarding residential service, they expressed that “all our residential customers who received electricity 24 hours before the pandemic have consumed more electricity, and even more those who did not enjoy this service, since their consumption has been higher, which it makes a higher billing and in some cases, the price per kilowatt is more expensive, as it changes in the rate scale ”.

The distributors recalled that they have not cut the service to their customers and users, nor will they, for lack of payment or due to a claim invoice while this situation remains.

"In fact, we are providing payment facilities," said the companies in their statement.

Reactions: bob saunders

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
My bills are usually 1600-2000 peso last two bills 5600 and I’m not here...yes they are estimated but they doubled what they normally get...when my family member went to complain says a lot of people where complaining of same thing doubling of estimated rates..

Reactions: Brendan Hubley

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
My bills are usually 1600-2000 peso last two bills 5600 and I’m not here...yes they are estimated but they doubled what they normally get...when my family member went to complain says a lot of people where complaining of same thing doubling of estimated rates..
The EDE's should have released a press release when they realized that they had to make estimates and could not read the power meters, and that the invoice would be corrected afterwards actual meter readings were possible.
And that nobody would lose power during the crisis due to missing payment.

Due to lack of information on this matter it was created much turmoil and confusion, and distrust.
Fueled by people who love to conspire instead of seeking factual information.

Just look at some comments in this thread.

Jjjj, hindsight is easy, afterwards

Reactions: Caonabo and drstock

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Dont know what you are complaining about. In Bavaro its 14.98 pesos and it doesnt matter how much or little you use.
Yes we have subsidized prices as long as we do not use more than 700kwH monthly.

You probably have power from a private power provider

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
The EDE's should have released a press release when they realized that they had to make estimates and could not read the power meters, and that the invoice would be corrected afterwards actual meter readings were possible.
And that nobody would lose power during the crisis due to missing payment.

Due to lack of information on this matter it was created much turmoil and confusion, and distrust.
Fueled by people who love to conspire instead of seeking factual information.

Just look at some comments in this thread.

Jjjj, hindsight is easy, afterwards
It’s not that the bills are estimated we all have and get that ...it’s that there estimates are way out of whack more then double usage..ednorte looking for free loan...

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It’s not that the bills are estimated we all have and get that ...it’s that there estimates are way out of whack more then double usage..ednorte looking for free loan...
They also seem to manufacture overdue payments....
unpaid balances that weren't there last month
Please read the thread from the beginning and tell me what your conspiration fellas got right.

The formula for the estimates has been published, it was about right for me and many others.

I would not suggest that there can not be errors, but please show me the calculations AND how you conclude the EDE’s is looking for a free loan, based on factual information and not fantasy. Or manufacturing overdue payments

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Please read the thread from the beginning and tell me what your conspiration fellas got right.

The formula for the estimates has been published, it was about right for me and many others.

I would not suggest that there can not be errors, but please show me the calculations AND how you conclude the EDE’s is looking for a free loan, based on factual information and not fantasy. Or manufacturing overdue payments
Please step away for key board have a coffee conspiracy fantasy WTF ..this is sharing forum don’t like what’s shared move on..
Something s wrong when they estimate s more then double then what s used normally simple...

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Please step away for key board have a coffee conspiracy fantasy WTF ..this is sharing forum don’t like what’s shared move on..
Something s wrong when they estimate s more then double then what s used normally simple...

Read my post again. I asked you to post factual information and did not dispute that there might be errors.

So you stand by your statement that the EDE’s figured how to get a free loan?

And you can publish everything you want, but I should not make any comments if I do not agree?

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I live in Luperon , 5 bedroom house , one A/c refrigerator fans and lights .... Edenorte .... Minimum $10,000 DOP a month.
Yes several times a mysterious overcharge and non payment of last months bills........
Meter on post down the road,, suspect I am not only one on meter.... Edenorte refuses to install meter on my Property or house.
My friend pays an average of 1500 pesos for the same situation.... meter on house.

Once I argued the matter and my electricity was shut off.

Se La vie

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

Never heard of fixed contract rates? We had 2 a/c’s running day and night, two fridges a freezer etc. 600 A month, yes pesos. It was the contract.

Reactions: JD Jones

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I live in Luperon , 5 bedroom house , one A/c refrigerator fans and lights .... Edenorte .... Minimum $10,000 DOP a month.
Yes several times a mysterious overcharge and non payment of last months bills........
Meter on post down the road,, suspect I am not only one on meter.... Edenorte refuses to install meter on my Property or house.
My friend pays an average of 1500 pesos for the same situation.... meter on house.

Once I argued the matter and my electricity was shut off.

Se La vie

Let me see if I understand your issue correctly

• You have your own meter, but not on your property. It is not unusual.
  • Edenorte will not move the meter into your property. Probably because of the cost and precedent it would bring if everyone demanded the same.

• Your bill seems unreasonably high and you suspect an illegal connection from your meter.
  • By virtue of Law 125-01 Art 92 all wires and meters AFTER the distributor's supplied meter is the responsibility of the user.

You need to work systematically to figure this out.
The easiest way is to seek professional help, an electrician

But it should also be relatively easy to figure out for yourself.

I suggest you go look at your meter, have a look at your real time usage at the moment, and try figure out if that makes sense considered which electrical appliances are switched on in the house.

Take a note of your meter reading and repeat tomorrow at the same time. Subtract the last meter reading from the first one, that will give you the amount of kWh used in the last 24 hours. Multiply by 31 to get your monthly estimate, and check if it corresponds with what is stated on your invoice.

You also might turn of your main circuit breaker and check the meter, the real time values for kWh consumed should show zero.
If you are unsure what consumes energy, one person inside the house could turn off appliances and another could watch the meter and see how the values change, preferably they should talk together when they do this, phone?

Just some suggestions, hope you are able to figure this out!

Reactions: Russell and Caonabo