When will DR open for International travel??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

brickwasher

May 11, 2020
Juan Dolio
Good Morning all, UPDATE: I just checked www.aa.com and the flights that were starting on June 4th into Puerto Plata have now been removed until July 7th. The JetBlue flight I have booked into Santo Domingo June 1st is still confirmed but that could change anytime, will keep you updated.

A question for you all in DR. I read this morning that the President has asked for another 25 days of emergency power and the senate has confirmed. However, the Chamber has vowed not to approve the extension. So, if an agreement for the extension is not reached. What happens? General thoughts on this as a whole?
Thanks so much for sharing. I was able to use my cancelled flight credits to buy 2 tickets back to the DR. I bought one for PUJ and one for SDQ. The date of flight is July 1. I’m hoping SDQ might be allowed to let us residents back. And I’m hoping that if not, then the article of PUJ getting approval as a private airport since they are more advanced in precautions will at least be open to me. Since I bought my tickets with credits before May 31, then the worst that can happen is both airport borders will be closed and my ticket becomes a credit once more. No harm and no foul. When I look at the airlines that service those airports and the future ticket purchases, after July 1 it starts to get crazy with the amount of flights being open. I’m sure that will change as we get closer to July 1. As one member here said it’s just a matter of guessing and hedging our bets

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I have no crystal ball...

-Borders will not open until the resorts are ready to accept tourists, therefore, those intending to reopen need to clean, do maintenance and restock. This could take awhile. Most resorts will qualify as a large business needing more employees to get ready than are allowed to resume operations during phase 1.

-Borders and foreigner entry are covered under different legislation than the constitution upon which a S.O.E. declaration is required to override those provisions (ie not a constitutional right except for citizens it looks like).

-The borders could be one of the last items to reopen. Gatherings of groups of people are still being actively discouraged. Resort bars & restaurants are not particularly conducive for physical distancing nor is the a la carte menu option for the vast majority of diners on any given night - buffets fed more people each day than all the a la carte restaurants combined. Big changes will likely be needed and many of the past feeding options will need to be overhauled.

-Travelers will not travel so long as there are quarantine measures in effect upon their return home - no employer is going to allow newly returned employees to be off for an extra 7 - 14 days.

-I anticipate that by the time the DR gets to the point when reopening the borders is scheduled to come up for consideration, the infection numbers will be too high to proceed.

-Tourist travel to the DR is at the moment an unrealistic expectation (imo) and those who keep rescheduling flights or are basing their decisions on automated flight schedule reservations are wasting their time and in some cases their money by hedging their bets.

I find it incredible that we are still discussing this after some 2000+ posts. Only the Govt knows what it will eventually do and when. Until then, watch the infection numbers. As the number of active cases increases and the rate of that increase speeds up, the less likely it will be that the borders will be opened for all but essential travel and citizen repatriation. If I had to guess, maybe in the Fall.

I have no crystal ball...

o9BLSy7.gif

Then suddenly realizes he was the special advisor to the Plan de reapertura....

:ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: etolw

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I expect that, within the next couple days, you will see a notam that extends that date for another two weeks or more.

PUJ will be ready for commercial operations on July 1st. That was discussed a little while back.
I think you are right or about as right as could be without a magic 8 ball. The government published schedule is airport opening on July 1, that is, if nothing bites them in the rear. Don't expect this to be set in stone. The government here is volatile at its best. Attached is a copy of the government's "possible" schedule, perhaps we'll get lucky and it'll come to fruition. Hey wipe that smirk off your face, there is nothing wrong with wishful thinking. 😁
IMG-20200520-WA0006.jpg

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Good Morning all, UPDATE: I just checked www.aa.com and the flights that were starting on June 4th into Puerto Plata have now been removed until July 7th. The JetBlue flight I have booked into Santo Domingo June 1st is still confirmed but that could change anytime, will keep you updated.

A question for you all in DR. I read this morning that the President has asked for another 25 days of emergency power and the senate has confirmed. However, the Chamber has vowed not to approve the extension. So, if an agreement for the extension is not reached. What happens? General thoughts on this as a whole?
you are in the fight business and believed yoru flight would be a Go in June???btw,
the website yu linked to in your post is Not any official website, it is a Tourseller Website.
last update there been mid May.
I hope when flying tose plane, you use more up to date flight plans/routes and use the really official sources for Pilots, lol.

Reactions: windeguy

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
More confusing information, Punta Cana says July 1st

read it again and again til understanding set's in.
the PC Airport simply stated, that they are prepared and ready to receive all kind of flights, passengers, travelers with all security and safety measures/equipmets in place, starting July 1st 2020.
NOWHERE does it state that theBorders will be open by July 1st 2020.
and anyways, it is not a airport to decide abotu such date, thats decided by the government solely.
sowhy not use the governments real websites and take the planned dates from there?

Reactions: windeguy

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Stop chasing media headlines and completely ignore social media. This is the DR. Here, the left hand never knows what the right hand is doing and the media gets it wrong more than they get it right.
if you would read the spanish originals of the official announcements, the dates and info would be very clear to you.
but reading other sites and interpreting own things into it, makes all confusing.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I understand it, the emergency powers, SOE, and the reopening plan are two different things. SOE powers would allow the President to do a wide range things including extend the curfew. I suspect the dates for reopening are independent from the SOE powers. The congress does not like giving the President so much power.

Reactions: MikeFisher

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
if you would read the spanish originals of the official announcements, the dates and info would be very clear to you.
but reading other sites and interpreting own things into it, makes all confusing.
Exactly Mike, the information is on the Presdient of the DR's web site. That is the place to go, not some rumor mill.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
As I understand it, the emergency powers, SOE, and the reopening plan are two different things. SOE powers would allow the President to do a wide range things including extend the curfew. I suspect the dates for reopening are independent from the SOE powers. The congress does not like giving the President so much power.
exactly.
one does not exclude the other.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I think you are right or about as right as could be without a magic 8 ball. The government published schedule is airport opening on July 1, that is, if nothing bites them in the rear. Don't expect this to be set in stone. The government here is volatile at its best. Attached is a copy of the government's "possible" schedule, perhaps we'll get lucky and it'll come to fruition. Hey wipe that smirk off your face, there is nothing wrong with wishful thinking. 😁View attachment 2437
You left out the text details from that page which says:
"Será en la fase 4, estimada para el próximo 5 de julio, cuando todas las empresas reanuden sus labores con el 100% de su personal.

Además, en esta fase se reactivará el turismo, abriéndose hoteles y aeropuertos, así como los gimnasios y los comedores de los restaurantes."

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
This may answer the question on quarantine upon arrival to the DR.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020

POP will be the very last airport to open imo.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
thats a cool thing.
and opposed to what just happened on the repatriation frlight from Spain,
of which 7% of the repatriated passengers arrived in DR testing Positive.

Reactions: GusFring

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
thats a cool thing.
and opposed to what just happened on the repatriation frlight from Spain,
of which 7% of the repatriated passengers arrived in DR testing Positive.
Source? I have asked for that but nobody answered :cry: :unsure:

Agree that testing passengers before departure is the right thing to do atm.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
From the United States. How about the 14 positive cases that came in from Madrid 2 days ago on a Dominican repatriation flight with 196 passengers. How about flights from China, Italy and Germany. Will the DR ban flights from Brazil like the US?

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
From the United States. How about the 14 positive cases that came in from Madrid 2 days ago on a Dominican repatriation flight with 196 passengers. How about flights from China, Italy and Germany. Will the DR ban flights from Brazil like the US?
Just a guess, but I would venture to say that if the sending country/airline has sufficient protocols in place the DR would likely accept them. The 7% infected crowd is really causing me concern because it basically trashes the theory that incoming folks are virus free. In other words, the protocols are not sufficient.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
As long as the US doesn’t ban flights from the DR

Reactions: GusFring

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Well, where did you read about the cases from Madrid.

I read that those who had PCR test from Spain went home, others quarantined 14 days at hotel gubmint

Status
Not open for further replies.