Blackouts

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Is Edenorte out? I've posted about this for over 20 years. Don't care what you want to call it or why. It's out and no matter what you call it or what you do... it's still out. Just like old home of 20 years ago; maybe back.

Love my solar and back up systems.

Is Edenorte out?
They say so, I have inverter so would’t know until the batteries run out and the lights go out. Then I have to start my generator

Have never been out of luz in this house, 15 months and counting

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
They say so, I have inverter so would’t know until the batteries run out and the lights go out. Then I have to start my generator

Have never been out of luz in this house, 15 months and counting
Over 20 here and try to advise others. They don't listen. Promised my wife 3 things over 20 years ago. Security, Power and Water. We all good.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Nobody denies that corruption is a killer in this country, and the process building the plant really shows why this country has huge problems. Corruption.

I have not looked much into who is responsible for maintenance and building/supervision, I believe it is outsourced to foreign companys because DR lacked the expertise.

That is not my point here, without this power plant, where could EDENORTE buy its power from to satisfy the increased demand/needs?

The reduced price when generating power benefits EDENORTE to reduce their deficit, and continue to sell power at subsidied prices to the general public. Yes they sell you energy for less what it costs them to buy, cheaper power than NYC which is probably irrelevant here. When all customers pay for what they consume, you can ask for reduced prices. Maybe.

So far they are still losing huge amounts of money due to lack of payment
The lack of payment is because nobody has the balls to make people pay. Killer corruption as you say.

NY City has some of the highest power costs in the US. About 20 cents per kWh. But wait, Edenorte charges 10.86 $RD per kWh at their top tier price for power. Over 700 kWh and you pay that rate for all of it. Just about the same as NY City until the peso recently took a big drop.

Yes, the lower tiers for the first few hundred kWh is subsidized at much lower rates. Another reason the masses have to be weened off the idea that free, or almost free, electricity is some type of a right. A major error that happened because the government took over power distribution instead of paying what it actually costs. The situation they set up is close to untenable.

We will see if they can fix the Punta Catalina problems before the country plunges into darkness.

With the newfound incompetence of Edenorte, tomorrow will be a day of installing new batteries and getting more gasoline...

• Wow
Reactions: etolw

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Over 20 here and try to advise others. They don't listen. Promised my wife 3 things over 20 years ago. Security, Power and Water. We all good.
Maybe some day I will get 16 batteries and 20 solar panels. My wife insists on AC at night.

But I doubt it. I will stick with 8 T105 batteries and use a generator as back up for now.

17 years and counting. No promises were made, but there are still demands.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
The lack of payment is because nobody has the balls to make people pay. Killer corruption as you say.

NY City has some of the highest power costs in the US. About 20 cents per kWh. But wait, Edenorte charges 10.86 $RD per kWh at their top tier price for power. Over 700 kWh and you pay that rate for all of it. Just about the same as NY City until the peso recently took a big drop.

Yes, the lower tiers for the first few hundred kWh is subsidized at much lower rates. Another reason the masses have to be weened off the idea that free, or almost free, electricity is some type of a right. A major error that happened because the government took over power distribution instead of paying what it actually costs. The situation they set up is close to untenable.

We will see if they can fix the Punta Catalina problems before the country plunges into darkness.

With the newfound incompetence of Edenorte, tomorrow will be a day of installing new batteries and getting more gasoline...

For as long as you have been here, about 18 years, you keep waiting for others to solve problems and point out that they never do. Yet, you don't appear to do anything yourself to solve the issues that effect you. You just bitch, point figures and that's about it.. Always someone else that robs you of your desired way of life. YAWN.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
For as long as you have been here, about 18 years, you keep waiting for others to solve problems and point out that they never do. Yet, you don't appear to do anything yourself to solve the issues that effect you. You just bitch, point figures and that's about it.. Always someone else that robs you of your desired way of life. YAWN.
I have been to the Edenorte offices in Puerto Plata multiple times to talk to management and complain. I have been to Protecom to complain. I went to the Headquarters of Edenorte in Santiago and spoke directly to the Cabarete area supervisor about getting 24/7 power . He gave me a quote for over $100,000 USD for our development to be upgraded to 24/7 power. I spoke to the supervising engineer in Puerto Plata and he gave me a quote for even more money. A job Edenorte should have done by themselves to provide reliable service. Nobody in my development outside of myself would have helped pay for those improvements, and I don't blame them. It was attempted embezzlement directly from the management of Edenorte. I did everything I could to improve the situation for myself and my neighbors. Ask them.

I then went to Edenorte and asked to be connected to a transformer that I would purchase myself that would be connected to a more reliable transmission line.
They refused to approve this because they said it would not be right if I had better power than the rest of my development. Go figure.

A couple of years back Edenorte installed new power poles, and even some street lights, but of course I did nothing about it.

DR Solar: You are clueless in this matter.

Sep 22, 2009
I have been to the Edenorte offices in Puerto Plata multiple times to talk to management and complain. I have been to Protecom to complain. I went to the Headquarters of Edenorte in Santiago and spoke directly to the Cabarete area supervisor about getting 24/7 power . He gave me a quote for over $100,000 USD for our development to be upgraded to 24/7 power. I spoke to the supervising engineer in Puerto Plata and he gave me a quote for even more money. A job Edenorte should have done by themselves to provide reliable service. Nobody in my development outside of myself would have helped pay for those improvements, and I don't blame them. It was attempted embezzlement directly from the management of Edenorte. I did everything I could to improve the situation for myself and my neighbors. Ask them.

I then went to Edenorte and asked to be connected to a transformer that I would purchase myself that would be connected to a more reliable transmission line.
They refused to approve this because they said it would not be right if I had better power than the rest of my development. Go figure.

A couple of years back Edenorte installed new power poles, and even some street lights, but of course I did nothing about it.

DR Solar: You are clueless in this matter.
On a cashflow basis, one of the largest single rackets globally. It is truly, disgusting.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I do find it incredible that in this country, where many things are up to the latest standards, where the telephone system is largely obsolete because everyone uses Whatsapp, where I can watch almost anything thanks to Netflix, where you can pay all your bills online - we still have almost daily power outages.

I suppose there are two things left over from the "bad old days" - corruption at the top and people stealing electricity at the bottom.

Reactions: windeguy and etolw

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
I do find it incredible that in this country, where many things are up to the latest standards, where the telephone system is largely obsolete because everyone uses Whatsapp, where I can watch almost anything thanks to Netflix, where you can pay all your bills online - we still have almost daily power outages.

I suppose there are two things left over from the "bad old days" - corruption at the top and people stealing electricity at the bottom.
What puzzles me sometimes, how can all this corruption contine independent of the ruling powers when there are free democratic elections, people vote for those men and women to reign on their behalf.

I guess it is hard to find people that power does not corrupt, everywhere.
And many honest people for various reasons do not want to run for power.

windy arguments that government should’nt provide electric or water supplies

The theft of power is much less than it was. Smart Meters and putting most transformers on poles helped to reduce theft by the common man.

As for businesses that steal power, that gets us back to the government running the power distribution scheme. Something that should NEVER happen.
This is what happens when a government agency supplies water.

Which clearly is not the problem, many countries have good utilities run by government. Actually some argues that such basic
systems needed by all SHOULD be run by government.

Another discussion, soes not want to start that here, but it was mentioned

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then let me rephrase my comment about the DR: A government as corrupt as the DR's government should never run a utility. The results of this are intuitively obvious.

My personal feeling is that no government anywhere in the world should run a utility because of potential corruption and the nature of government employees.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Depends on the utility

Utilities that becomes monopoly anyway, as water pipes and electricy cables to your house. Does not matter much who run them.

Because they are very expensive to install and low cost to maintain, the first one who provides it becomes monopoly.
Nobody else are crazy enough to risk building the second infrastructure

Maybe better they are run as non profit

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Depends on the utility

Utilities that becomes monopoly anyway, as water pipes and electricy cables to your house. Does not matter much who run them.

Because they are very expensive to install and low cost to maintain, the first one who provides it becomes monopoly.

Maybe better they are run as non profit
It has mattered very much who runs the electricity and water companies in the DR when they are part of the DR government. That is obvious to anyone that has lived here for the last 20 or 30 years.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
It has mattered very much who runs the electricity and water companies in the DR when they are part of the DR government. That is obvious to anyone that has lived here for the last 20 or 30 years.
Private companies in DR does not know anything about corruption?

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
In Boca Chica (EDEEste) we have mini outages all the time. Generally all less than 30 minutes. Many times less than 10. I just guess they are switching something.
Removing kites from the utility lines I read. Do not know if that explains what you have experienced

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Private companies in DR does not know anything about corruption?
I know nothing of private utility companies in the DR.

I know very well the corruption and incompetence of government controlled Edenorte and Corrapplata.