Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Politicians the world over at some point in time decided that they would rather spend the money on something else rather than restocking national inventories or provisioning hospitals for a healthcare emergency. That's why there is a shortage of PPE. That and the fact that a lot of it comes from China.

Just think back to SARS. I believe it was France that was first country to announce they were suspending all exports of PPE. The shortage of critical items was entirely foreseeable for years. It's just that everyone in a position to do something about it chose to believe that there would be no significant pandemic during their tenure in the job so they did little to nothing about what they felt was an inconsequential shortcoming.

Maybe the lesson has been learned this time around.
Maybe. Most likely the next disaster will be a new surprise we need to learn to handle

They often surprise us those disasters, not everyone can store their prepping gear in WW's wine celler. But sure governments could spend more money.

Stopping global warming is gonna need a lot of cash too

I do not believe it is possible. Who want to change their lifestyles that much.

Talk is cheap but action counts

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
posting error

Governmental level:

Sometimes important budgetary decisions need to be made. Do "we" need a new library more than a stockpile of critical supplies that will be difficult to obtain should there be tough times?

On an individual level:

You can survive three minutes without breathable air, or in icy water.
You can survive three hours in a harsh environment (extreme heat or cold).
You can survive three days without drinkable water.
You can survive three weeks without food.

Freedom of choice and taking charge of your own wellbeing is predicated on the ability of people to make the right choices most of the time. When they don't, they tend to die or at the very least experience unnecessary hardship.

Nature (and our fellow human beings doesn't recognize "it's too hard" or it's too inconvenient" as acceptable juystification to ignore the obvious - adapt, evolve or perish. It's the way of the natural world and no amount of procrastination or denial will change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: etolw

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Maybe. Most likely the next disaster will be a new surprise we need to learn to handle

They often surprise us those disasters, not everyone can store their prepping gear in WW's wine celler. But sure governments could spend more money.

Stopping global warming is gonna need a lot of cash too

I do not believe it is possible. Who want to change their lifestyles that much.

Talk is cheap but action counts
Global warming isn't something that mankind can control.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Global warming isn't something that mankind can control.
He he, I am not going into that trap discussing this, not in this thread.
But yes, I can be blamed for mentioning it as an example of talk is cheap, many people do not really understand what they talk about sometimes, including me.

I bought a house in walking distance from the beach, but at some elevation

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
He he, I am not going into that trap discussing this, not in this thread.
But yes, I can be blamed for mentioning it as an example of talk is cheap, many people do not really understand what they talk about sometimes, including me.

I bought a house in walking distance from the beach, but at some elevation
Absolutely, we individually can cut down on our personal pollution footprint, drive less, consume less....etc. My 87 year old mother has been a recycler and organic gardener for 65 years.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In a conversation I am having with a lawyer who works in Santo Domingo I am finding that the enforcement of the multi-step reopening plan requires a State of Emergency. If the SOE is no longer approved by the DR Senate and Deputies, that plan goes away and everything can open the day of the expiration of the SOE . Here is what she just told me:

"with all due respect this (the 4 step plan being valid) is not true. I am a Dominican lawyer and work for the government trust me when I tell you he cannot continue the phases or curfew hours by decree. That's called a dictatorship.

Please read Law 42-01 articles 69, 149, 153. The President cannot maintain shops closed, limit in capacity, apply social distancing measures, and maintain airports closed through decree. Through a decree fundamental rights cannot be limited, but he can during a State of Emergency. In this nation a President cannot rule by Decree it is unconstitutional.

I am saying, its what our law states. By the 12th of of June if the State of Emergecy is not renewed then yes, everything is open. People were fast to jump on the wagon of "NO MORE SOE" without even reading out laws and Constitution and what that meant. You can disagree with it if you want, but what you are implying does not fit into our rule of law. We are not Venezuela to be ruling by Decree. People have lost their minds. You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."

• Love
Reactions: Garyexpat and etolw

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
posting error

Governmental level:

Sometimes important budgetary decisions need to be made. Do "we" need a new library more than a stockpile of critical supplies that will be difficult to obtain should there be tough times?

On an individual level:

You can survive three minutes without breathable air, or in icy water.
You can survive three hours in a harsh environment (extreme heat or cold).
You can survive three days without drinkable water.
You can survive three weeks without food.

Freedom of choice and taking charge of your own wellbeing is predicated on the ability of people to make the right choices most of the time. When they don't, they tend to die or at the very least experience unnecessary hardship.

Nature (and our fellow human beings doesn't recognize "it's too hard" or it's too inconvenient" as acceptable juystification to ignore the obvious - adapt, evolve or perish. It's the way of the natural world and no amount of procrastination or denial will change that.
Remember Ireland.... the jailed IRA boys who went on a hunger strike.... water only

They all lasted about 95 days.... fat, skinny, no matter....very close time lines 92-96 days as I recall

My friends at Labatt's (a Cdn brewery) claimed they could get to 120 days on beer

Trapped miners drink their urine to stay alive ......
talk about recycling !!!!

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Remember Ireland.... the jailed IRA boys who went on a hunger strike.... water only

They all lasted about 95 days.... fat, skinny, no matter....very close time lines 92-96 days as I recall

My friends at Labatt's (a Cdn brewery) claimed they could get to 120 days on beer

🍻 is the shit. Agreed
Does not go bad like water, pathogens

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
In a conversation I am having with a lawyer who works in Santo Domingo I am finding that the enforcement of the multi-step reopening plan requires a State of Emergency. If the SOE is no longer approved by the DR Senate and Deputies, that plan goes away and everything can open the day of the expiration of the SOE . Here is what she just told me:

"with all due respect this (the 4 step plan being valid) is not true. I am a Dominican lawyer and work for the government trust me when I tell you he cannot continue the phases or curfew hours by decree. That's called a dictatorship.

Please read Law 42-01 articles 69, 149, 153. The President cannot maintain shops closed, limit in capacity, apply social distancing measures, and maintain airports closed through decree. Through a decree fundamental rights cannot be limited, but he can during a State of Emergency. In this nation a President cannot rule by Decree it is unconstitutional.

I am saying, its what our law states. By the 12th of of June if the State of Emergecy is not renewed then yes, everything is open. People were fast to jump on the wagon of "NO MORE SOE" without even reading out laws and Constitution and what that meant. You can disagree with it if you want, but what you are implying does not fit into our rule of law. We are not Venezuela to be ruling by Decree. People have lost their minds. You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."

"You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."
[/QUOTE]

We will see if the SOE will be renewed.
Brave words by a lawyer.
Take a walk outside and see the reality of the State of social benefits, democracy and rights.
You can also check to which extent the state is able to protect and treat citizens from CV19.
So far the DR is lucky not to have had cases as severe as other countries which are developed, but yet struggled severely.

Sep 22, 2009

Lucky for you, you've been drinking your own NH4 with rum by the pool for years!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
"You cannot EVER rule by Decree, especially when you limit fundamental rights. Don't forget the first lines of our Contitution "La Republica Dominicana es un Estado Social y Democratico de Derecho"."

We will see if the SOE will be renewed.
Brave words by a lawyer.
Take a walk outside and see the reality of the State of social benefits, democracy and rights.
You can also check to which extent the state is able to protect and treat citizens from CV19.
So far the DR is lucky not to have had cases as severe as other countries which are developed, but yet struggled severely.
[/QUOTE]
The renewal period of the SOE has been down to a couple of weeks. It would have to be renewed about 6 more times to reach the end of the current reopening plan. The Deputies said for the second time they will not renew the SOE again. We will see in a couple of weeks if they were truthfull.

I don't consider her words "brave", but I consider them "informative". It was not clear to me before she explained the situation that the SOE is necessary for both the nightly quarantine time AND the reopening phases. That all ends immediately without a continued SOE.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

I saw this the other day posted throughout several thread lines, but due to other obligations did not have the opportunity to respond properly.
It sounds as if your lawyer friend is either a current law student, or recent graduate of coursework and admission to practice law.
Very idealistic in regards to how things operate to say the least.

• Angry
Reactions: etolw

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I saw this the other day posted throughout several thread lines, but due to other obligations did not have the opportunity to respond properly.
It sounds as if your lawyer friend is either a current law student, or recent graduate of coursework and admission to practice law.
Very idealistic in regards to how things operate to say the least.
Agreed in the idealism aspect. Yet I understand that the SOE is necessary to continue any reopening plan and curfews.

Reactions: Caonabo and aarhus

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Agreed in the idealism aspect. Yet I understand that the SOE is necessary to continue any reopening plan and curfews.

This depends.
I mentioned idealism, because it sounds like a student of law who was either raised/or has studied abroad, and mistakes abroad for here in RD.
In regards to SOE, yes, but many licensed locations (aside from tourist areas) must close their operations prior to 12am Sunday through Thursday. Friday and Saturday 2am.....so yes there are limits (curfews) that do exist for businesses.
The argument can be made that with no legitimate businesses licensed to be open past a certain hour, why do people need to be in the streets.....as a matter of public safety.
Not necessarily my argument, but an argument to be made yes. Like it or not.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
People are tired of the curfew.....

PS . I'm always amazing folks claiming they have no money meanwhile they have Apple Iphones...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The clip shows that someone has blocked access w/ tree trunks.... coco, oddly enough !
hahaha

Yes, that's where I go often

Status
Not open for further replies.