Quality knives on the North Coast ?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
does Amazon even ship to the DR? I know there are forwarding services like BMCargo and EPS, haven't had the pleasure of using them yet

I'm using BM Cargo for the first time. I've heard good things about them and they're spitting distance from my house. I'll let you know in a week or so, but others should be able to help you now.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
You'll need a forwarder....I think

Some companies won't ship to them.....
I haven't encountered any vendors that do not ship to the forwarder I use, yet.

When I first saw that problem (denying to ship), I also discovered that the forwarder just had given a new clever forwarding address that works (so far)

My advise when that problem happens, get the forwarder to give you a new address that works.

Sorry for the long answer and thanks for all the great feedback. DR1 has a lot more detailed and good information in another thread about forwarders.

For reasons unknown that thread seems to have a more friendly tone. WTF

Happy Forwarding

Reactions: csteinwand

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I'm using BM Cargo for the first time. I've heard good things about them and they're spitting distance from my house. I'll let you know in a week or so, but others should be able to help you now.

Yes I use BM cargo all the time its a very smooth process ...

Amazon sent package to BM Cargo in Miami then Bm cargo ships it to DR . meanwhile on BM cargo app you track your package ...when it arrive in bm cargo store you pay and received the package

BM Cargo definitely has this process down

simple and painless

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
So does CPS. But I was also using EncargoPaq frequently.

But Encargo changed their policy that a package can get extra freight charges if it is 'over-sized".
So what is over sized ?
Well a rubber door car molding in a 4" x 4" x 4' box weighing 1.5 lbs was considered oversize.
They charged me $37 ! (that's US dollars folks, and the part was only $30 off eBay)
I said "you have got to be joking"...they weren't.
CPS would have charged me 360 pesos.

So I am ordering my new knife block off Amazon and shipping through CPS until Encargo reverses its ridiculous over-size policy they are on my sh*t-list.
caveat emptor fellow-shippers

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
So does CPS. But I was also using EncargoPaq frequently.

But Encargo changed their policy that a package can get extra freight charges if it is 'over-sized".
So what is over sized ?
Well a rubber door car molding in a 4" x 4" x 4' box weighing 1.5 lbs was considered oversize.
They charged me $37 ! (that's US dollars folks, and the part was only $30 off eBay)
I said "you have got to be joking"...they weren't.
CPS would have charged me 360 pesos.

So I am ordering my new knife block off Amazon and shipping through CPS until Encargo reverses its ridiculous over-size policy they are on my sh*t-list.
caveat emptor fellow-shippers
I live in el campo where insects of all species live and during this dry spell seem to overwhelm my home....I had a Knife block... the inside bottom of each sheath is solid...as a consequence the insects make their home there.... Now I am building a knife shelf ...in my cottage where I shall also build my new personal kitchen.... good excuse to maintain my independence in the culinary art....a trait and skill passed down for generations in my family.
I am done with the frustrations of trying to maintain a good kitchen with excellent sharp knives... Try cutting onions with a dull knife!!!

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
Is there a place to buy quality kitchen knives on the North Coast?
Playero -No
La Sirena - No
Jumbo - No.
I'm talking full riveted tang type with good steel: Chef's, Bread, Paring and steak knives.
Is this a lost cause ?

I bought and brought all my silverware, cooking utensils, knives, pots, pans etc from Canada. I looked everywhere from Sosua to PP for some quality items without success. I spend approximately every other month in DR (once the borders reopen) If you'd like something brought down I can probably help.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I even bought the misses a can opener. It sat there for a month. I asked why she didn't use it and she replied she didn't know what it was. Every knife had a tip missing.
I have 2 of them. Our trabajadora simply cannot operate them. She finds me, wherever I am, with the can and opener. And I show her each time. Mental block. Same problem with the pulley clothes line.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I live in el campo where insects of all species live and during this dry spell seem to overwhelm my home....I had a Knife block... the inside bottom of each sheath is solid...as a consequence the insects make their home there.... Now I am building a knife shelf ...in my cottage where I shall also build my new personal kitchen.... good excuse to maintain my independence in the culinary art....a trait and skill passed down for generations in my family.
I am done with the frustrations of trying to maintain a good kitchen with excellent sharp knives... Try cutting onions with a dull knife!!!

I use a magnetic strip on the wall.... cheap & easy

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I even bought the misses a can opener. It sat there for a month. I asked why she didn't use it and she replied she didn't know what it was. Every knife had a tip missing.
Brendan, this is universal in DR... friends of mine , his mom visited us in Nova Scotia.... I bought two boxes of bandaids and put then on the shelf above the sink... After several mishaps I noticed the trend of blood letting began to diminish. AH! says I, they must have finally figured it out.... not so...every Hinkle knife was dulled and the points removed. Later her son who at the time lived at my home bought me a new set of Hinkles ; only to have then suffer the same fate here in DR.
The plumber is coming tomorrow to replumb for Russell's new kitchen...Notice the emphasis Russell's new kitchen.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
in Spanish , no less

1591217357197.png

Reactions: Russell

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have 2 of them. Our trabajadora simply cannot operate them. She finds me, wherever I am, with the can and opener. And I show her each time. Mental block. Same problem with the pulley clothes line.
Time to upgrade trabadoras

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
In that case buy her a sturdy hunting knife (Condor knifes) from which the tip doesn’t break.

Reactions: Russell

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
Same here, my mother in law destroyed my good knifes trying to use them as a can opener.
Never mind all the cans had the little lid to be able to open by hand. And never mind there was a can opener available as well.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Same here, my mother in law destroyed my good knifes trying to use them as a can opener.
Never mind all the cans had the little lid to be able to open by hand. And never mind there was a can opener available as well.
We are fortunate that my MIL lived with us in Canada for 9 years and learned, both the value of a sharp knife and how to use a can opener. She taught the maid to not use the small knifes for anything but cutting food. She had several cheap knifes that she uses for tools. She likes the little Ikea paring knifes for peeling veggies and cutting chicken so she hids them from the maid. Her Colin is twenty years , she looks after her stuff.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
In that case buy her a sturdy hunting knife (Condor knifes) from which the tip doesn’t break.
LOL...I bought a Smith and Wesson Homeland Security Knife ...made from gun metal..... razor sharp impossible to break the tip .... It was put out in the Workshop and banned from the Kitchen as being dangerous. Not just a mentality, but a Sub-culture. Very heavy and great for chopping bones ...

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
We are fortunate that my MIL lived with us in Canada for 9 years and learned, both the value of a sharp knife and how to use a can opener. She taught the maid to not use the small knifes for anything but cutting food. She had several cheap knifes that she uses for tools. She likes the little Ikea paring knifes for peeling veggies and cutting chicken so she hids them from the maid. Her Colin is twenty years , she looks after her stuff.
The vegetable peeler - good god, there's a whole other issue; you'd think it was a complicated piece of rocket-science equipment built by NASA.

• Haha
Reactions: AlterEgo