Reasonable Rentals in Sosúa/Cabarete

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Hello friends! I'm thinking of ditching my apartment in Puerto Plata for a change of scenery. Can anyone give me any hints on where I can find a reasonable monthly rental in a complex with a pool in the Sosúa/Cabarete area? I know there are a lot of you who know so much more about the area. Thanks in advance!

jfk-tampa

Jul 28, 2007
you need to clarify what is reasonable? do you want beach front? how long are you looking to rent for? short term or long term? this will help to narrow it down for you

Reactions: David B

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My last apartment in Sosua was
3 blocks from the ocean in Charamicos.
Paid 4,500 a month included water/
trash pickup. Plenty of good deals available in/ around Sosua.

Hint: Pick an area you want to live in than
ask people working the local colmados or barbershops.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
My last apartment in Sosua was
3 blocks from the ocean in Charamicos.
Paid 4,500 a month included water/
trash pickup. Plenty of good deals available in/ around Sosua.

Hint: Pick an area you want to live in than
ask people working the local colmados or barbershops.

Thank you. That's kind of what I'm looking for. The one problem for me is that I don't know which area would be best not knowing anything apart from the beaches. The name Charamicos surfaces a lot. Right now I'm in Torre Alta and it's boring as cheese although I'm close to everything and the worst is, with all the heat, NO POOL.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
you need to clarify what is reasonable? do you want beach front? how long are you looking to rent for? short term or long term? this will help to narrow it down for you

I'm thinking up to $RD20,000 a month, preferably less, with a monthly rental agreement.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Thank you. That's kind of what I'm looking for. The one problem for me is that I don't know which area would be best not knowing anything apart from the beaches. The name Charamicos surfaces a lot. Right now I'm in Torre Alta and it's boring as cheese although I'm close to everything and the worst is, with all the heat, NO POOL.

Charamicos and Torre Alta are kinda like night and day. It is absolutely a renters market as there are MANY empty properties including new construction. Since you already have a place I'd suggest looking around and then making offers against their asking prices. I will probably be in a similar situation shortly and that is my plan. - Good Luck!

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You won't get that in an upscale part of Cabarete.

Drstock, you know Cabarete was hurting before the Wuhan virus struck and I see TONS of listings for sale/rent. He might not get the same as where he is now and he may have to wait a bit but I think the glut and lack of people coming down will make owners much more flexible. I just rented a house in POP 6 months ago and offered almost $60 less than asking saying that if accepted I would wire the monies the same day - they accepted without an haggling.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Charamicos and Torre Alta are kinda like night and day. It is absolutely a renters market as there are MANY empty properties including new construction. Since you already have a place I'd suggest looking around and then making offers against their asking prices. I will probably be in a similar situation shortly and that is my plan. - Good Luck!

Thanks! In Puerto Plata it seems to be a landlord's market. As soon as anything becomes available, it's snapped up.I was just hoping to avoid all the hassle and work of finding a new place. I would certainly hope that there would be some kind of glut in Cabarete and Sosua from the lack of foreigners at the moment as a result of the pandemic. A Dominican friend sent pics of a complex in Cabarete right near the beach with a beautiful pool, and the place seemed all but abandoned. Unfortunately, as you know, she gave me the name in the typical kind of phonetic Dominican Spanish, and I can'f find it. She called it "barmare coconopan"! It got me thinking that there must be some tired old former hotels or residentials that don't trying to get the ridiculous rates that places geared toward gringos pull (what CristoRey refers to above).

David B

Aug 31, 2017

Definitely not looking for upscale
You won't get that in an upscale part of Cabarete.

Definitely NOT looking for upscale, just not ghetto. My point was just that if I'm paying 17,000 for a place in an upscale neighborhood in POP, surely there must be a price comparable for something lower scale in Sosúa/Cabarete.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Drstock, you know Cabarete was hurting before the Wuhan virus struck and I see TONS of listings for sale/rent. He might not get the same as where he is now and he may have to wait a bit but I think the glut and lack of people coming down will make owners much more flexible. I just rented a house in POP 6 months ago and offered almost $60 less than asking saying that if accepted I would wire the monies the same day - they accepted without an haggling.
Well, I suppose it depends what you mean by an "upscale" area. But even with the "Wuhan virus" (whatever that is) he's unlikely to get a 2 bed 2 bath in an area like Procab.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
A Dominican friend sent pics of a complex in Cabarete right near the beach with a beautiful pool, and the place seemed all but abandoned. Unfortunately, as you know, she gave me the name in the typical kind of phonetic Dominican Spanish, and I can'f find it. She called it "barmare coconopan"! It got me thinking that there must be some tired old former hotels or residentials that don't trying to get the ridiculous rates that places geared toward gringos pull (what CristoRey refers to above).
This is probably Coconut Palms, which is now called something else that I can't remember. It's a couple of miles west of Cabarete centre. and about a mile from the sea at Encuentro. You should find something in your price range there.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Thanks! In Puerto Plata it seems to be a landlord's market. As soon as anything becomes available, it's snapped up.I was just hoping to avoid all the hassle and work of finding a new place. I would certainly hope that there would be some kind of glut in Cabarete and Sosua from the lack of foreigners at the moment as a result of the pandemic. A Dominican friend sent pics of a complex in Cabarete right near the beach with a beautiful pool, and the place seemed all but abandoned. Unfortunately, as you know, she gave me the name in the typical kind of phonetic Dominican Spanish, and I can'f find it. She called it "barmare coconopan"! It got me thinking that there must be some tired old former hotels or residentials that don't trying to get the ridiculous rates that places geared toward gringos pull (what CristoRey refers to above).
Good luck with it. I am sure there will be
plenty of apartments for rent as soon as
these airports open up and things get back
to normal.
Another HINT:
CristoRey and GaryExpat are friends.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Google for "Cabarete Coconut Palms Resort"

Located between Sosua Cabarete.

Alexander

Haha I did and sent her a photo of it and asked if that was the place. She said no, it looks too nice. That got me thinking that there must be some old, tired hotels or apartment complexes with pool in the area that don't charge the ridiculous prices that most places catering to gringos charge. It I'm going to spend time in the DR, I'm certainly not going to pay Eastern PA rental rates. It doesn't make sense to me.

David B

Aug 31, 2017
Good luck with it. I am sure there will be
plenty of apartments for rent as soon as
these airports open up and things get back
to normal.
Another HINT:
CristoRey and GaryExpat are friends.

Thank you for the kind words, CristoRey, as well as the hints.