Optica Cibao - experiences

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I have used them to make progressive lenses twice in the past 4 years. You can bring them your own prescription or they can test you there. Both methods worked out. i took the glasses they made to their prescription back to Ottawa and had it checked by my expensive optician. All good, maybe not exactly the top quality of lenses that the Ottawa guy uses But certainly very acceptable he said. No issues with service either. I travel from Puerto Plata to see them. I recommend them.

Reactions: aarhus

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Because I live in Jarabacoa and it would require two trips to Santo Domingo, thus two full days. Santiago is a 45 minute drive, less traffic, less danger, ...etc.
I was asking for myself. At the malls I see there are many but looking for a good one recommended

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have my new glasses from Optica Cibao in Santiago and so far I am very pleased. 25,000 PESOS for guess frames, anti-reflective, transition, progressive lenses that I can see perfectly out of. Very thorough examination for 1000 pesos then returned a week later for the glasses. They have staff that can speak English if that is a requirement and the optometrist speaks English as well.

Reactions: zoey_kat

rogerjac

Bronze
Feb 9, 2012
I have my new glasses from Optica Cibao in Santiago and so far I am very pleased. 25,000 PESOS for guess frames, anti-reflective, transition, progressive lenses that I can see perfectly out of. Very thorough examination for 1000 pesos then returned a week later for the glasses. They have staff that can speak English if that is a requirement and the optometrist speaks English as well.
Wow that seems like alot. I havent got new glasses in more than 15 years. Im sure it wasnt more than 200 canadian back then. Glad I got the laser surgery.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Wow that seems like alot. I havent got new glasses in more than 15 years. Im sure it wasnt more than 200 canadian back then. Glad I got the laser surgery.
The lenses were 11,000. The rest is the frames and anti-reflective coating. That is also the premium progressives ( larger focal area) Surgery is not an option for me, unfortunately.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
No way! I wear glasses and that is much cheaper than what I pay at lenscrafters with insurance. Progressive lenses plus the coatings for only 25000 pesos is a steal.

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
I owned a wholesale optical lab for 30 years that made 1200 pair of prescription eyeglasses a day and was an exclusive Varilux lab. You got a great deal,Varilux are the best. Lenscrafters sucks,crap lenses made on crap equipment by poorly trained staff at ridiculous prices.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
I owned a wholesale optical lab for 30 years that made 1200 pair of prescription eyeglasses a day and was an exclusive Varilux lab. You got a great deal,Varilux are the best. Lenscrafters sucks,crap lenses made on crap equipment by poorly trained staff at ridiculous prices.
😭