Luis Abinader to be the next President, opposition takes Congress

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-y-Raquel-Peña-La-Opinión-e1594047240897.jpg

Dominicans went to vote early on 5 July 2020, wearing masks and trying to respect social distances. On Sunday, voters gave the leading opposition party, the Modern Revolutionary Party (PRM) the control of the Executive Branch and the Legislative Branch.

The opposition swept the 2020 presidential and congressional elections. The leading polls had forecast the PRM candidate Luis Abinader would win in a first round. But the vote was such that opposition parties also took the Senate and the Chamber of Deputies. The PRM will now be the majority in Congress, with the vote to pass important measures and the promised changes. President Danilo Medina had governed with the majority in the Congress from 2012 to 2019.

At the presidential level, with 81% of the polling stations computed late on 5 July, the Central Electoral Board preliminary results were: PRM and...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I don't know the qualities of Mr. Abinader, but they don't matter much.
All countries where the executive branch is run by one party and the legislature by another are screwed up and doomed to fail in the long run.

Your reading comprehension is a little off today. The new executive and legislative are from the same party.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
All countries where the executive branch is run by one party and the legislature by another are screwed up and doomed to fail in the long run.
Only if what they are wanting to do is good for the country. As was said else where we have had that same situation here for the last 16 years, where the legislative branch more or less rubber stamped what the administrative branch wanted. So if its so great why does every one want to change the status quo.

Personally I like it where at least 1 of the 3 entities are of the other party.. that way there has to be some give and take and negotiations.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
Only if what they are wanting to do is good for the country. As was said else where we have had that same situation here for the last 16 years, where the legislative branch more or less rubber stamped what the administrative branch wanted. So if its so great why does every one want to change the status quo.

Personally I like it where at least 1 of the 3 entities are of the other party.. that way there has to be some give and take and negotiations.
There was a desire for change, because to much wealth moved to the top and the lower classes got next to nothing from that quite impressive 7% growth p.a. But it would be even worse if there would be bickering over budget between parties. The wealthy would get their lion share anyway but perhaps we'd have to wait for the 911 system until today.
In the most successful countries in controlling COVID 19 the executive and the legislative speak one voice. Some examples: Cuba, Switzeland, Singapore, China, Germany.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Then you must think the DR will be a great success since the same party has the presidency and both houses of the legislature.

Personally I greatly prefer the presidency to be of one party and at least one branch of the legislature to not be controlled by the same party.
That situation reduces the potential for corruption and the passage of useless and trivial laws.

The PRM has carte blanche now to do what they want in the DR.

Reactions: bienamor

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The legislature screwed themselves by extending the toque de queda so many times.
Let's see how Luis approaches it.
One thing seems a certainty unless tourism doesn't start ramping up by August you can write off the rest of the tourism season and with it lots of business and properties going under.
The last thing a new government wants is a collapsing economy, as they will receive all the blame.