Progreso and ScotiaBank

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for all the north coast ideas but as I am in santo domingo they are not much help. the assoc duarte web site at this time wont load the map for cajeros or there are none here. also no don't have an AMEX card its not much use anymore. Any more ideas should take into consideration the amount of gasoline and distance/time that 200rd will buy. For instance a trip during normal working hours up to naco or pantenen is more trouble than its worth.

etolw

Banned
Oct 6, 2018
Thanks for all the north coast ideas but as I am in santo domingo they are not much help. the assoc duarte web site at this time wont load the map for cajeros or there are none here. also no don't have an AMEX card its not much use anymore. Any more ideas should take into consideration the amount of gasoline and distance/time that 200rd will buy. For instance a trip during normal working hours up to naco or pantenen is more trouble than its worth.
Blame your friends and fellow neighbors.

Just say no to ATM fees.

Sorry for repeating the obvious

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Well....... I have a roller coaster ride for a couple of days

Prior to the 5 day shutdown , I went to my branch w/ questions -
SWIFT code changes ?
Account numbers?
A small list.....

Nothing to worry about... I was told... all on auto pilot
The woman gave me her direct line.....

Not so fast SpeedBall.....

My debit card went invalid.... not able to use

Got a nice e-mail from Scotia saying - Just click this button to switch your account
Fine - then they say they'll send a special codigo to the e-mail....
EXCEPT... that e-mail is NOT the one they sent the switchover to.

Admittedly, I was a Scotia customer in 2008....
they used that e-mail.... not my Progreso e-mail

So - I couldn't switch online

Now - no debit card - no access to my accounts
The instruction was to go to branch and update my profile

Line up !!!??? on the 1st day of the new system ???
HUGE!!!

Finally- using my pull.... I got in... after calling that special woman's hotline

over 2 hrs to update my profile and get a new debit card......WHEW!!!

However - everything's up to date in Kansas City as they say
Thank god for Francina !!!

The Progreso debit cards can crash at any time...

better to switch early - she said

=====================================

Imagine Sunny Solar... I did all that from Canada.....
Beam me up Scotty......
However- I just clicked my heels like Dorothy....
Swoosh.....

hahaha

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Went to enroll on the Scotia site and asked for my birthdate.

It forces you to scroll for decades to get back to your birthdate month by month.

Over 100s of clicks to enter the date of birth.

Whoever designed this should be drawn and quartered and hung from the spire of the Independence monument in Santiago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am (was) a Progreso customer and have now converted to Scotia
I was hopeful int'l transfers would be as fast & easy.

I wired funds y'day to the new Scotia....arrived same day

I used the new account number - 737 in front of the old number -
and the Scotia RD SWIFT code

Happy results.... I hope this helps others in the same position

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I am (was) a Progreso customer and have now converted to Scotia
I was hopeful int'l transfers would be as fast & easy.

I wired funds y'day to the new Scotia....arrived same day

I used the new account number - 737 in front of the old number -
and the Scotia RD SWIFT code

Happy results.... I hope this helps others in the same position

Was just checking account statement for the first transactions from my foreign card with and ex-Progreso now Scotia ATM... Echoing WW above, the change was (this far) nothing but positive. The exchange rate is much better... I always calculate the exchange rate after the bank as applied any fees they might add, as otherwise the calc would not make sense... Even after the fees, rate is much better than it was with Progreso.

They do only allow 10k DOP withdrawals, but that factor is now irrelevant to me as each 10k withdrawal costs less (relatively, of course) than a 20k withdrawal I used to do with Progreso. Not to mention that the new ATM is really nice to use...

Not many positive things recently regarding the DR unfortunately, but this is definitely one...

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Was just checking account statement for the first transactions from my foreign card with and ex-Progreso now Scotia ATM... Echoing WW above, the change was (this far) nothing but positive. The exchange rate is much better... I always calculate the exchange rate after the bank as applied any fees they might add, as otherwise the calc would not make sense... Even after the fees, rate is much better than it was with Progreso.

They do only allow 10k DOP withdrawals, but that factor is now irrelevant to me as each 10k withdrawal costs less (relatively, of course) than a 20k withdrawal I used to do with Progreso. Not to mention that the new ATM is really nice to use...

Not many positive things recently regarding the DR unfortunately, but this is definitely one...
I assume the old Progresso Amex card works at the Scotia ATMs?

What is the max withdrawal amount now? This part does suck though. I'd rather stab my eyeballs out with metal shishkabob skewers than walk into the bank for a withdrawal..

Feb 7, 2007
Went to enroll on the Scotia site and asked for my birthdate.

It forces you to scroll for decades to get back to your birthdate month by month.

Over 100s of clicks to enter the date of birth.

Whoever designed this should be drawn and quartered and hung from the spire of the Independence monument in Santiago.

No, you can actually click on year and it then allows you to select the year.

Reactions: GusFring

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Pulled pesos out of a Scotia ATM today and received 58.75 pesos per dollar. Prettay Prettay Gooood....

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
Pulled pesos out of a Scotia ATM today and received 58.75 pesos per dollar. Prettay Prettay Gooood....

Yes, they have a really nice exchange rate. In the past, I did not care of their ATMs that much, but ever since I've been forced to start using them, I will not change ATMs... They only let me withdraw the 10k at a time, but with the exchange rate (after fees), that does not matter...

Reactions: GusFring

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Yes, they have a really nice exchange rate. In the past, I did not care of their ATMs that much, but ever since I've been forced to start using them, I will not change ATMs... They only let me withdraw the 10k at a time, but with the exchange rate (after fees), that does not matter...
I bank there's no fees which is nice.

Fumbling with the card for 3 separate 10k withdrawals is a PITA I can live with.