Understanding Luis Abinader’s win

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Luis-Abinader-Listin-Diario-e1580351270673.jpeg

I am Dolores Vicioso, editor of DR1. To help DR1 readers understand Luis Abinader’s win, here I share my own insights and some background.

First a look at the electoral results:As of 6 July, the results of the presidential elections are:Luis Abinader (PRM) 52.66%: 1,524,215 votesGonzalo Castillo (PLD) 37.52%: 1,085,829 votesLeonel Fernández (FP) 8.74%: 252,984 votesGuillermo Moreno (AlPais) 0.92%: 26,748 votesIsmael Reyes (PDI): 0.08%: 2,299 votesJuan Cohen (PNVC): 0.07%: 2,163 votes

This compares to what happened in the previous 2016 presidential election. Abinader then had received 1,613,222 votes, or 34.98% of the vote. That election was won by today President Danilo Medina with 2,847,438 votes or 61.74% of the vote.

All along President Danilo Medina sought to transfer his popularity to his chosen candidate for the party, Gonzalo Castillo. With the Medina...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
What an excellent analysis! A pleasure to read. The theme of the fired journalists is worth following. Please write again.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This is probably a very naive question, but if the PLD was in power for 16 years, why do we not have 99.99% electricity? What was so difficult about getting it that they couldn't do it in 16 years?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Our editor/administrator has produced a very astute analysis...turns out that although the economy and the covid crisis are important, the corruption was big time in the voters mind...I applaud all the voters that came out in spite of the dirty tricks that the PLD had perfected for too long...

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
This is probably a very naive question, but if the PLD was in power for 16 years, why do we not have 99.99% electricity? What was so difficult about getting it that they couldn't do it in 16 years?
Good question. Too much pilfering, tampering and an aged out infrastructure make it almost impossible.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Our editor/administrator has produced a very astute analysis...turns out that although the economy and the covid crisis are important, the corruption was big time in the voters mind...I applaud all the voters that came out in spite of the dirty tricks that the PLD had perfected for too long...
Lets hope its not just a different bunch of hands out to fleece what they can get

Reactions: I love Azua

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Ties to Giuliani, who has cloven hooves and a forked tail, and a LOOOOOONG unsavory history. Not to mention being a Yankees fan.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013

I have another naive question for you, that I ask myself (haven't said this out loud ever...) occasionally, when I get frustrated:

These presidents visit other countries, including those in Europe not that seldom due to meetings etc.... Do they ever think: "here they have always electricity, no problem with water supply nor anything else for that matter, what are we back home doing so wrong???"...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Abinader has a certain amount of baggage, but he must never be allowed to forget why he won and what he has to do in order to prove himself.

Reactions: Meemselle

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Abinader has a certain amount of baggage, but he must never be allowed to forget why he won and what he has to do in order to prove himself.
What are the largest promises he made and do you think they will come true?

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
What are the largest promises he made and do you think they will come true?
The promise I could read from my window a few days ago was EL PODER SERA DE LA GENTE (the power will come from the people). I'd be surprised if you'd find something more specific.
All over the the world I start to listen to a politician when I see some numbers. I am deaf until then.

Reactions: rfp

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have another naive question for you, that I ask myself (haven't said this out loud ever...) occasionally, when I get frustrated:

These presidents visit other countries, including those in Europe not that seldom due to meetings etc.... Do they ever think: "here they have always electricity, no problem with water supply nor anything else for that matter, what are we back home doing so wrong???"...

I'm afraid they're so out of touch that they probably don't think like that. So much for being men of the people.

Reactions: josh2203 and aarhus