And the winner is... seeking the best country to combat CORONA-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
What country could your present in the Dominican Republic as the best example in controlling and eventually eliminating the COVID-19?

Make sure you find a realistic example. At first I was looking at successful countries: Cuba, Switzerland and China, but have rejected them as simply not fair to this caribbean island. One cannot suddenly expect the Dominican Republic to have a cuban medical system, swiss discipline or chinese resources.

So my pick is Vietnam.

Under leadership of the Communist Party of Vietnam this developing country with limited resurces can boast the total of 370 cases and ZERO deaths. Source: https://bing.com/covid/local/vietnam

Now guess where a european tourist would book his winter vacation having a choice between DR and Vietnam?

If you find a better example please post it here.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Eliminating CV19? Really?

How exactly?

Keep in mind when you answer that the world is still in the early stages of the pandemic.

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014

How exactly?

Keep in mind when you answer that the world is still in the early stages of the pandemic.
I said eventually. Everyone knows there are no pills against the virus yet. But if you have numbers as Vietnam you don't need to worry.

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
The Cuban medical system is questionable and overrated. Talk to any Cuban on the island about it and who really has access to it.

Ojo- No es oro todo lo que reluce (All that glitters is not gold)

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014
The Cuban medical system is questionable and overrated. Talk to any Cuban on the island about it and who really has access to it.

Did you compare the COVID stats DR-Cuba? Or the number of hospital beds? Or the prices of medical care?
I never said they are perfect and under US sanctions they are even further away from perfect. But they are well ahead of the DR.
I have spent 10 days in a small hospital in Pinar del Rio following emergency surgery. My only complaint was that there was too cold in February, they had no blankets. Professional care - top class.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Did you compare the COVID stats DR-Cuba? Or the number of hospital beds? Or the prices of medical care?
I never said they are perfect and under US sanctions they are even further away from perfect. But they are well ahead of the DR.
I have spent 10 days in a small hospital in Pinar del Rio following emergency surgery. My only complaint was that there was too cold in February, they had no blankets. Professional care - top class.

All lovely but let’s see how things progress. The world over is guessing. Even with the flattening of the curve no country is out of the woods.

Impossible to chant victory or speculate yet as to which country has done the best in controlling COVID-19.

Reactions: CaribeDigital

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NZ and even Australia to a degree.....

In Canada - British Columbia did a good job
NFLD and the east had an easy time of it... small populations

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I agree with you regard New Zealand but not India. Their cases are out of control.
Agree that India's handling at the national level has been abysmal but the case of the southwestern state of Kerala, pop. 34 million is worth highlighting. Just 7,438 cases and 29 deaths.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008

How exactly?

Those places who have “eliminated” Covid-19. Can they stay isolated for long.

Reactions: windeguy

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008

That is right and they control people in a way that would not be accepted in the DR.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I said eventually. Everyone knows there are no pills against the virus yet. But if you have numbers as Vietnam you don't need to worry.
Worry? We are in the early stages of the pandemic. Why not worry? Any current wonderful places could change in a matter of weeks.
At least if Communists are not in control, allegedly.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I'm neither a denier nor a doomsday prophet, but based on history there is no reason to believe this is going away any time soon. If a vaccine were invented today it would takes years (decades?) to vaccinate the planet. It took 40 years for the Americas to be declared free of polio after that vaccine was invented. Vestiges of the 1968-69 Hong Kong flu are still with us. That killed 100,000 Americans and 1,000,000 worldwide. It received almost no attention at the time. Adjusted for population that 's 165,000 U.S./2,000,000 worldwide today. How many people over the age of 55 even remember it? How many people today even care??

My advice? Pick a science that fits your personal narrative and enjoy your life!

aarhus

Jun 10, 2008
Trinidad and Tobago literally have like 5 cases or less. Id say them.
Cayman Islands where I have friends is the same but at some point they have to open borders and they depend more on US tourism than the DR. For how long can countries and especially islands stay isolated.

Reactions: Andre14615
Status
Not open for further replies.