Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I doubt if those are current photos. Boots on the ground and hard to believe. Fake news

Unfortunately it is very true...my spouse had some family members travel back to SDQ and basically described exactly what is in the photo. Maybe certain days are worse than others. One of the reasons my going back is on hold and spouse is still deciding. He was anxious to get back but then spoke to family members there who describe the situation as not so good.

• Haha
Reactions: GusFring

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It's a personal freedom issue. I got the flu shot in boot camp when I was 18. Didn't like it then and haven't had one since and have never had the flu. I won't get one for the Kung flu either.
lol, I got so many shots in the service I lost count. If I said I already had "that one" they said it wont hurt you to have two

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Well, and that is a deep subject. Let us look at it this way.

1) It is likely the most effective way to develop antibodies is to actually be infected by CV19.
2) Most of those who have actually been infected with CV19 have been found to have antibodies that disappear over 3 months.
3) Vaccines are extremely unlikely to provide more antibody protection over a longer time period than actually being infected by the disease.
4) All of the experts in the world cannot change 1, 2 and 3 as far as I know. ( I do hope they discover something that has never been done before.)

CV19 is looking like the coronavirus' that cause common colds with respect to immunity. People only have short term immunity after catching them. And there is no effective vaccine because of that.
Similar to the norovirus, I thought once you had it you were good, boy was I wrong. I do highly recommend it for losing a quick 12 pounds.

Reactions: aarhus

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
With immunity from actually having CV19 lasting a few months at best, and the results from early vaccine study showing a vaccine lasting even less, there is virtually no chance an effective vaccine will ever exist. Are people going to get a vaccine injection every two or three months to keep up their immunity? Perhaps, but it seems unlikely. Maybe those at highest risk of death. Antivaxers will have a field day with that concept.

How is a vaccine ever going to be more effective in generating protective antibodies than actually having the disease itself where the protection only lasts a few months and then you can get the disease again?

Unfortunately this is all going exactly like I expected it might. And that is not good. People will have to think of different approaches. Those antibody tests to see if you had the disease already are likely to be pointless wastes of time and effort. With fading hopes for a vaccine and any type of long term immunity, what will be done next?
Just to be clear, if getting the actual virus does not bestow immunity, (as the WHO has now told the world,) a vaccine will not bestow immunity either.

It also renders the term Herd Immunity moot.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Just to be clear, if getting the actual virus does not bestow immunity, (as the WHO has now told the world,) a vaccine will not bestow immunity either.

Measles is currently the most infectious disease of its kind and the standard against which all other disease Infection potentials are measured. It’s been with us for centuries and the current vaccine regime for measles controls it spread but never eliminates it. Herd immunity worldwide never lasts for many reasons. Despite that, world economies chug along and cope with localized out breaks with minimum fuss. No surprise that COVID-19 response will be similar. Vaccines will be developed to limit the infection, not eliminate it, and allow us to get on with our lives. People will still die with COVID-19. Once the numbers are reduced to an acceptable level (whatever that is) it will fade into the background of the many life threatening infections we deal with annually. Life is a crapshoot so hedge your bets and hope that dice roll in your favour.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Exactly. No long term immunity from actually having the virus, no long term immunity from a vaccine, hence no herd immunity is possible.
Those are both the bad news of recent tests that have been done on infected people and on those receiving one vaccine.

Perhaps the virus will mutate into one less dangerous? That would be wishful thinking at the highest level.

So now what if there will be no effective vaccine and the virus never goes away?
What erroneous and misguided schemes will governments put in place?

Here I heard some parts of Santiago will be "closed" as one knee jerk response. Is it the same in parts of Santo Domingo as well?

Reactions: GusFring

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
When I click on link it says broken. But that's ok. I don't believe anything on Facebook anyway : )

I have been in few airports lately. None looked like this. Good place to stay away from if SDQ for sure.
Well it is SDQ I’m pretty sure other airports are looking the same :censored:

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Exactly. No long term immunity from actually having the virus, no long term immunity from a vaccine, hence no herd immunity is possible.
Those are both the bad news of recent tests that have been done on infected people and on those receiving one vaccine.

Perhaps the virus will mutate into one less dangerous? That would be wishful thinking at the highest level.

So now what if there will be no effective vaccine and the virus never goes away?
What erroneous and misguided schemes will governments put in place?

Here I heard some parts of Santiago will be "closed" as one knee jerk response. Is it the same in parts of Santo Domingo as well?
Don’t be so negative on vaccine Trump said by end of yr... moderna shows promise..

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The Republic Wednesday, July 15, 2020​

Achieving Covid test turns into a nightmare
Access to diagnostic tests for the new coronavirus COVID-19 becomes one of the worst nightmares for the population, both public and private, every day.

Appointment shifts in the private sector are increasingly remote, while in the center of greatest public response, the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory, hundreds of people line long lines daily to take samples and search for results.

The number of people who come to the center daily is increasing every day, with great riots and despair on the part of patients and families.

In many cases, to take a shift at the Dr. Defilló Laboratory, people arrive in the early morning hours.

Busy

Meanwhile, every day between 110 and 120 people go to the Respiratory Triage Unit established at the Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital to attend and detect cases of COVID-19. From there, those who qualify are referred to one of the 15 COVID hospitals established in Santo Domingo, some of them with occupancy of up to 100 percent.

In the private sector centers where areas for COVID have been assigned, the reality is no different. An example is the General Hospital of the Plaza de la Salud, where yesterday the 18 intensive care beds dedicated to the care of these patients were occupied and the same happened with their 23 hospital beds, while in their emergency patients were waiting to be admitted.

In Cedimat, reports indicate that there is a similar occupation of their beds for the admission and care of patients with COVID.

While in Santiago the reality is even more complex and private health centers claim to be in a saturation stage. The province has about 400 beds for admissions, with an overall occupancy of over 95%, with high pressure on its capacity for intensive care beds and ventilators.

Obligation

Given the lack of response in the public sector, many patients assure that they are forced to go to private centers to access a critical care bed.

Will have beds

To expand the response of the population that requires hospitalization, the Dr. Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital is preparing to put into operation a specialized area for hospitalization of patients affected by coronavirus, whose work is carried out in coordination with the National Health Service ( SNS).

So far, the hospital does not have admissions beds for COVID patients, but maintains a Respiratory Triage Unit that receives between 110 and 120 patients daily who come in search of emergency care after respiratory problems and performing PCR and Rapid tests free of charge. .

Once there, the center channels, through the Ministry of Public Health, the transfer to one of the COVID-19 centers available to the Public Network, when a patient requires hospitalization and also delivers the medications that patients require.

Dozens of people gather at the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory looking to get tested or withdraw the COVID results.

HOSPITALS
Enabled to attend cases

Greater Santo Domingo
The public network of COVID hospitals is made up of the District: Cecanot, Jacinto Mañón, Police hospital; Infantil Santo Socorro; Ángel Contreras Mejía hospital. in Monte Plata; Municipal Pedro Heredia Rojas, Sabana Grande Boya; the municipal of Yamasá; Rodolfo de la Cruz Lora, Pedro Brand; Ciudad Juan Bosch, Darío Contreras, Military Ramón de Lara, San Lorenzo de Los Mina, Marcelino Vélez Santana and Engombe.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016

The Republic Wednesday, July 15, 2020​

Achieving Covid test turns into a nightmare
Access to diagnostic tests for the new coronavirus COVID-19 becomes one of the worst nightmares for the population, both public and private, every day.

Appointment shifts in the private sector are increasingly remote, while in the center of greatest public response, the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory, hundreds of people line long lines daily to take samples and search for results.

The number of people who come to the center daily is increasing every day, with great riots and despair on the part of patients and families.

In many cases, to take a shift at the Dr. Defilló Laboratory, people arrive in the early morning hours.

Busy

Meanwhile, every day between 110 and 120 people go to the Respiratory Triage Unit established at the Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital to attend and detect cases of COVID-19. From there, those who qualify are referred to one of the 15 COVID hospitals established in Santo Domingo, some of them with occupancy of up to 100 percent.

In the private sector centers where areas for COVID have been assigned, the reality is no different. An example is the General Hospital of the Plaza de la Salud, where yesterday the 18 intensive care beds dedicated to the care of these patients were occupied and the same happened with their 23 hospital beds, while in their emergency patients were waiting to be admitted.

In Cedimat, reports indicate that there is a similar occupation of their beds for the admission and care of patients with COVID.

While in Santiago the reality is even more complex and private health centers claim to be in a saturation stage. The province has about 400 beds for admissions, with an overall occupancy of over 95%, with high pressure on its capacity for intensive care beds and ventilators.

Obligation

Given the lack of response in the public sector, many patients assure that they are forced to go to private centers to access a critical care bed.

Will have beds

To expand the response of the population that requires hospitalization, the Dr. Francisco Moscoso Puello Hospital is preparing to put into operation a specialized area for hospitalization of patients affected by coronavirus, whose work is carried out in coordination with the National Health Service ( SNS).

So far, the hospital does not have admissions beds for COVID patients, but maintains a Respiratory Triage Unit that receives between 110 and 120 patients daily who come in search of emergency care after respiratory problems and performing PCR and Rapid tests free of charge. .

Once there, the center channels, through the Ministry of Public Health, the transfer to one of the COVID-19 centers available to the Public Network, when a patient requires hospitalization and also delivers the medications that patients require.

Dozens of people gather at the Dr. Defilló National Laboratory looking to get tested or withdraw the COVID results.

HOSPITALS
Enabled to attend cases

Greater Santo Domingo
The public network of COVID hospitals is made up of the District: Cecanot, Jacinto Mañón, Police hospital; Infantil Santo Socorro; Ángel Contreras Mejía hospital. in Monte Plata; Municipal Pedro Heredia Rojas, Sabana Grande Boya; the municipal of Yamasá; Rodolfo de la Cruz Lora, Pedro Brand; Ciudad Juan Bosch, Darío Contreras, Military Ramón de Lara, San Lorenzo de Los Mina, Marcelino Vélez Santana and Engombe.
That’s terrible...Hopefully Healthcare workers stay safe you can’t lose 30% of them now :(

Status
Not open for further replies.