Americanos de Samaná

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
Someone posted something about this previously but I can't remember who and can't find the post/thread. It piqued my interest and I haven't forgotten. I want to visit on my next trip and am wondering if any English speakers here are familiar with these "Americanos". If so, is their English recognizable as such? Are they really as distinct from other Dominicans as Wikipedia makes them out to be?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samaná_Americans

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
🖐
I can only take credit for previously mentioning the topic within the parameters of another conversation. I do not proclaim to be an expert on this respective community though.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
🖐
I can only take credit for previously mentioning the topic within the parameters of another conversation. I do not proclaim to be an expert on this respective community though.

Jut wanted to give credit where due!

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I as well, was hoping that some person with local ties within the area would have been able to provide some modern insight.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As I recall.... 2-3 slave ships escaping the US

So they will be of African heritage but carrying the Names of their owners - think Smith, Jones (not Kowalski)
It is rumored they still speak some English
Was it mid 1800's ?

Watch Amistad for more slave info

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
According to wiki not too many left so I'm looking forward to finding them when I go. Wiki says the migration was voluntary and welcome by the Haitian president. I've asked a few Dominican born friends in NY and D.R. and none have even heard of them. Thanks again for any info anyone can offer!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I know someone in Puerto Plata who is Dominican, with a completely Anglo surname. If I'm not mistaken, he has family in Samaná.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I know someone in Puerto Plata who is Dominican, with a completely Anglo surname. If I'm not mistaken, he has family in Samaná.
Yes, I read that there are some there as well as Sto. Dom. I would love to hear someone speaking "native Samana English" as it's called if there are any left.