Air arrivals required to prove they are negative to Covid-19, or take blood test upon arrival

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Testing suspended for now on arriving passengers. No real explanation why the change was made.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Just when you thought the Dominican Republic could not possibly demonstrate a higher level of ineptitude in the embarrassing incompetence they demonstrate on a daily basis in the manner in which they stumble through "managing" this pandemic, they come up with this nonsense.

Let's see how this latest chapter in their never ending foolishness plays out.

This is what tourists can now expect when arriving to the DR.

A medical test, whether a finger stick, blood draw or nasal swab, administered by whom? A certified, qualified and properly trained medical technician following standardized sanitary and sterility protocols for handling passengers' bodily fluids, some of which will qualify as biohazards, in a country that can't even provide potable water for it's populace ? ? ?

And this foolish requirement to have a certificate proving a negative "Covid-19" result within the last five days for those wishing to avoid the above mentioned folly.

PLEASE . . .

What will be the qualifications of the persons reading and authenticating these Covid-19 "certifications" which, with overwhelming probability, will not be in their native language? The same "authorities" currently accepting this latest, laughable incarnation of a Covid-19 "health form"?

And if by some more ridiculousness exhibited by the Dominican Republic these certificates do actually begin to become the norm, the easily falsified (knowing who will be "authenticating" them at the DR airports) Covid-19 negative certificates will immediately start to appear. Certificates which will be offered for sale the moment the online "tigueres" get wind of the DR's latest epiphany in addressing the pandemic.

All this now about to be played out at the airport of your choice here in Shangri-La.

This is funny . . .

Actually, no.

It's tragic.

We got tested a couple days before we came down (wasn't asked for it but it was for peace of mind).

Negative (English), Negativo (Spanish), it's not rocket sciences.The challenging part was getting our result on time as the waiting times has greatly increased in many parts of the US due to the number of tests being done.

In the ideal situation. testing should be done at the departure airport, but DR should make sure that travelers arriving from more infected areas are not bringing anything.

Reactions: zoomzx11

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Most travelers do not have access to covid testing that generates a paper report that they can use for travel. If such facilities were set up then travelers could supply the necessary paperwork for DR authorities. Unfortunately such facilities just do not exist that meet the DR requirements in most countries. So any testing would have to be done here. I'd suggest get the test done here and then stay at your resort until the results are known. For those not staying at a resort, there has to be diligent followup with the results so the traveler can be allowed to go about their business. Something we know the DR cannot pull off as. Rarely does anyone get a phone call they can understand from the Govt. Tourists would be lost in the bureaucratic shuffle for sure. Which basically means that there should be no testing for travelers who are not staying at a resort because it is just too hard to advise them of the all clear. The govt propably couldn't manage the people on resorts either. So no testing for anyone it seems.

The DR can't even provide enough kits to test their own people on demand in a timely manner so why divert resources and focus on visitors?

Big

Apr 24, 2019
Just when you thought the Dominican Republic could not possibly demonstrate a higher level of ineptitude in the embarrassing incompetence they demonstrate on a daily basis in the manner in which they stumble through "managing" this pandemic, they come up with this nonsense.

Let's see how this latest chapter in their never ending foolishness plays out.

This is what tourists can now expect when arriving to the DR.

A medical test, whether a finger stick, blood draw or nasal swab, administered by whom? A certified, qualified and properly trained medical technician following standardized sanitary and sterility protocols for handling passengers' bodily fluids, some of which will qualify as biohazards, in a country that can't even provide potable water for it's populace ? ? ?

And this foolish requirement to have a certificate proving a negative "Covid-19" result within the last five days for those wishing to avoid the above mentioned folly.

PLEASE . . .

What will be the qualifications of the persons reading and authenticating these Covid-19 "certifications" which, with overwhelming probability, will not be in their native language? The same "authorities" currently accepting this latest, laughable incarnation of a Covid-19 "health form"?

And if by some more ridiculousness exhibited by the Dominican Republic these certificates do actually begin to become the norm, the easily falsified (knowing who will be "authenticating" them at the DR airports) Covid-19 negative certificates will immediately start to appear. Certificates which will be offered for sale the moment the online "tigueres" get wind of the DR's latest epiphany in addressing the pandemic.

All this now about to be played out at the airport of your choice here in Shangri-La.

This is funny . . .

Actually, no.

It's tragic.
lol, I was going to say, all one will have to do is pay a few extra pesos for a negative test result and wahlai ..entrada

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We got tested a couple days before we came down (wasn't asked for it but it was for peace of mind).

Negative (English), Negativo (Spanish), it's not rocket sciences.The challenging part was getting our result on time as the waiting times has greatly increased in many parts of the US due to the number of tests being done.

In the ideal situation. testing should be done at the departure airport, but DR should make sure that travelers arriving from more infected areas are not bringing anything.

Testing on departure might work better..... more waiting time before boarding

A very good idea.... if you set up a booth - you'd make a small fortune !!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Testing before you board a flight is the only way I can see any sort of Int'l test requirement working. But I fear that would be just as unworkable in other countries as it is here at this point in time.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Testing on departure might work better..... more waiting time before boarding

A very good idea.... if you set up a booth - you'd make a small fortune !!

The waiting time was minimal when we came down, people are not exactly rushing to airports at this times. Probably the easiest flight I have ever taken, although not as quiet as after the reopening of airports after 9/11.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As I suspected, simple math escaped them as indicated in this post from FB:

"All tests have been suspended as the authorities soon realized that a plane of just 150 people would take 4-5 hours to complete the 10 minute tests as they only had 5 machines to do the tests!"

Geniuses, these people are not.

Reactions: Andre14615

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
As I suspected, simple math escaped them as indicated in this post from FB:

"All tests have been suspended as the authorities soon realized that a plane of just 150 people would take 4-5 hours to complete the 10 minute tests as they only had 5 machines to do the tests!"

Geniuses, these people are not.

Covid has really exposed the idiocy of these elected officials. Its laughable as a foreigner but you have to feel for the people who rely on these fools for safety.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
If you live your life thinking the government (ANY country) is there to help YOU, you will be bothered by any decision these pols have made over the past 5 months. Can you think of any ruling the DR gubmint has made that was really thought out, intelligent, right on the money that didn't serve THEIR interests in some way?
Every politician that goes on and on about unemployment, poverty, loss of a business that took years to build, .... STILL has HIS job. Strange. How's that? Could it be because this new found power over nearly every aspect of life is dependent on the maintenance of fear?
We near to think for ourselfs. Research on our own. Apply critical thinking and stop believing "they" know something we don't know. They don't and evidenced by facts such as "tests at airport". Ah sheet , forget that", Next.

Andre14615

Banned
May 31, 2019
If you live your life thinking the government (ANY country) is there to help YOU, you will be bothered by any decision these pols have made over the past 5 months. Can you think of any ruling the DR gubmint has made that was really thought out, intelligent, right on the money that didn't serve THEIR interests in some way?
Every politician that goes on and on about unemployment, poverty, loss of a business that took years to build, .... STILL has HIS job. Strange. How's that? Could it be because this new found power over nearly every aspect of life is dependent on the maintenance of fear?
We near to think for ourselfs. Research on our own. Apply critical thinking and stop believing "they" know something we don't know. They don't and evidenced by facts such as "tests at airport". Ah sheet , forget that", Next.
I dont know. The people did rid themselves of the PLD. So those people will not have jobs in a manner of weeks.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It will be canceled after every one is notified. One more nail in the tourist coffin

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I dont know. The people did rid themselves of the PLD. So those people will not have jobs in a manner of weeks.
One self serving person replacing another self serving person. Same agenda. Same level of intelligence suggesting he knows more than us.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
You're right. So the question is. . . what does that mean to you? How will that impact your lifestyle.?
I think its best to keep borders open. Let people travel here and they need to know the risk from their own government and here. Maybe an insurance should be required. The visitors with homes here or family or business should travel and the frequent visitors like your good self and I will be in same group as I will be a visitor from next year. With or without legal residency it has shown to be the same. I started closing my business the day after the National Emergency starting in March and we have made company inactive now the 30/6 a socalled CESE temporarily. My partner continues with real estate and may reactivate company if there is significant activity. I show on her website helping with marketing www.inmobiliariasarasota.com . In September I fly on a one way ticket to Denmark.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
It’s back on you bring your own test results with in 5 days...
BA0C9A08-4D9A-46EF-8342-5E62129B056D.jpeg

Reactions: aarhus