2020 Hurricane Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 22, 2009
You changed your reply from "Fake news" to "Really". Anything you don't know? Anything at all??
I changed from fake news in case mods would label it political. So while we're on the subject shame on you for spreading false sensational news. If there was a humanitarian disaster in Hato Mayor it would not be coming to your WhatsApp as a doctored video, you hack.

Make it a great day!

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I changed from fake news in case mods would label it political. So while we're on the subject shame on you for spreading false sensational news. If there was a humanitarian disaster in Hato Mayor it would not be coming to your WhatsApp as a doctored video, you hack.

Make it a great day!
Will storms become political to now.

Reactions: TropicalPaul

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For the POP area, can anyone better at reading the weather sites tell when the rains should end? Need some cooperating weather to begin the cleanup and decluttering the house of all the things we brought in to keep from blowing away yesterday.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Power restored to my nighborhood in Sosua around midnight this morning. Now just hoping it stays on so I can get everything recharged. It was a long day and night without power yesterday.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
Anyone in Santiago. Anyone drive from POP to Santiago?

Need to make the run today....

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Fake or no fake news ,community close from the beach in Cabarete were definitively hit pretty hard . I live in one of them ,first row ,and we have trees down , couple of inches of sands in pools ,outdoor furnitures which are many feet away from where they suppose to be even covered in a 3 feet patio.
On the positive side ,electricity came back early evening and we did not lose internet during the storm .

Sep 22, 2009
You changed your reply from "Fake news" to "Really". Anything you don't know? Anything at all??
User @tht , I was harsh and quick to jump on your post. What I should have said was I do not see whatsapp as a credible source for propagating news of humanitarian crises on a site where people need real data. As I mentioned, I was aware of flooding in HM and have contacts there but am not in agreement with the video. I could be wrong. Stay safe.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
People watching these events from afar only see the extreme effects so every time there is a newsworthy storm I get a lot of anxious relatives and friends asking me if I am ok. I try to explain that in a disaster-prone country those of us living in solid houses and apartments built in safe areas only suffer mild inconveniences, like loss of power, a bit of water coming into the house, and minor damage. If you can afford hurricane shutters (at a cost of several thousand dollars) it makes a huge difference. Anything worse is down to bad luck, like getting hit by flying debris, or irresponsible actions like going outside needlessly or driving in the storm.

The people who are worst affected live on riverbanks, flood plains, exposed hillsides, ravines, or too near the sea, in ramshackle houses. Proper preparedness and prevention - like stopping people from living in these areas in the first place, enforcing building regulations, or at the very least evacuating families in good time before the storm - reduces this damage even more. Certain countries are better at this than others, even in the developing world.

Except in the most extreme of disasters, poverty and bad governance will determine how likely you are to be affected. Isaias for me was a few hours of stress and minor inconvenience, but tell that to the people in places like Macao and El Seybo whose houses were flooded out.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
People watching these events from afar only see the extreme effects so every time there is a newsworthy storm I get a lot of anxious relatives and friends asking me if I am ok. I try to explain that in a disaster-prone country those of us living in solid houses and apartments built in safe areas only suffer mild inconveniences, like loss of power, a bit of water coming into the house, and minor damage. If you can afford hurricane shutters (at a cost of several thousand dollars) it makes a huge difference. Anything worse is down to bad luck, like getting hit by flying debris, or irresponsible actions like going outside needlessly or driving in the storm.

The people who are worst affected live on riverbanks, flood plains, exposed hillsides, ravines, or too near the sea, in ramshackle houses. Proper preparedness and prevention - like stopping people from living in these areas in the first place, enforcing building regulations, or at the very least evacuating families in good time before the storm - reduces this damage even more. Certain countries are better at this than others, even in the developing world.

Except in the most extreme of disasters, poverty and bad governance will determine how likely you are to be affected. Isaias for me was a few hours of stress and minor inconvenience, but tell that to the people in places like Macao and El Seybo whose houses were flooded out.
I lived for number of years on a farm with rivers on two sides. About once every two or three years we would get a gentle flood that would dump fertile silt on our fields making for great potato crops, however one year we had to build a dike at night around the house with our bulldozer and tractor. If we didn't have the bulldozer we all would have floated down to the sea. The feeling of panic and fear from that still exists in me and I very carefully select any house or property to make sure it isn't floodable.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Long years of drought create a sense of security. People build in the path of old rivers. I would suspect that is the case of Hato Mayor, and the photos that are going around the world by now with the house submerged in water.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
In Santo Domingo, in the central Julieta area (Poligono Central) no rain, a slight breeze. I was in touch with an engineer who lives in San Isidro, on the east side of the city. He was supposed to come today to resolve a timer issue in the building. He told me he couldn't make it because of torrential rains in that area. He said light posts have fallen.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Here in Jarabacoa rains stopped about 7 am, the sun is out but sky is partially cloudy. No bridges wiped out but the rivers are high.

Sep 22, 2009
Community, I apologise for the insensitive nature of my post regarding the user WhatsApp video above. This was not intended to diminish any damage done by the storm, but to point out the use of WhatsApp for posting to a public site where folks need info. I realize there have been substantial damages in various parts of the country And some have been displaced from their homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.