Travelers are cooperative about being tested at airports

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
This makes no sense. The article says they are testing for antibodies. So a person who has gone through the virus and is now virus free, would have antibodies (hello, immunity) so it would gets positive in this test. What are they going to do with those cases?
I thought the PCR test was for antigens, not antibodies - it's a test for the virus itself(?).

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
They will all gather round staring at the test and say "Bueeeeeeeennnnnnnno". And then frantically send messages to people on their phones, and another 50 people will gather round all staring at the result, and all say "Bueeeeeeennnnnnnno" and nobody will quite know what to do. And then someone important looking will come along and say something ridiculous like they have to cancel all flights for the rest of the month and then walk off.

This sounds serious. You need someone with a clipboard.

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I just can't get a straight answer on DR1. Tons of opinions but only one poster with experience.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CVS offers free testing in the USA

The delivery of results vary according to the workload.... but usually less than 5 days - they told me today

in my case I will get the test then book my ticket when I know I can beat 5 days...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ok. Maybe the article is wrong then about it being a PCR test(?).

The article is wrong. It's not a PCR test. The blood test uses the persons own immune system (antibodies) somehow to determine whether the virus is present.

But I agree with ww. If they screw up a test you are at their mercy. Show up with your own test and breeze thru.

Reactions: cavok

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

The delivery of results vary according to the workload.... but usually less than 5 days - they told me today

in my case I will get the test then book my ticket when I know I can beat 5 days...

So based on what they told you, what would you do? Try to schedule a test 4 days before your flight?

And does cvs give you a printout of the results?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013

Fine for people in the US, what about us in Europe with long-haul flights which you have to book months in advance. How is that going to work in the winter?

Reactions: aarhus

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Fine for people in the US, what about us in Europe with long-haul flights which you have to book months in advance. How is that going to work in the winter?

I think airlines will need to work this out and offer some sort of insurance if you test positive to defer your trip. So far, there have been free cancellations.

Also, some countries are require a negative test within 72 hours (i.e., T - 72 hours) of **landing** with no testing for arrivals. That will be fun if your flight is delayed beyond your pumpkin time. What do you do? Not board and get retested?

It's all wet cement at this point as they start to work this out.

Reactions: aarhus

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I think airlines will need to work this out and offer some sort of insurance if you test positive to defer your trip. So far, there have been free cancellations.

Also, some countries are require a negative test within 72 hours (i.e., T - 72 hours) of **landing** with no testing for arrivals. That will be fun if your flight is delayed beyond your pumpkin time. What do you do? Not board and get retested?

It's all wet cement at this point as they start to work this out.

The reality is that everyone is saying Covid will get worse in the winter months. At the moment almost all the traffic on planes is VFR (visiting friends and relatives) and those will put up with long waits and hassle at airports. But I just can't see tourists are going to be bothered to get a test before flying so it's going to be utter chaos if and when proper tourism returns, which by all accounts seems to be November.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Probably true, just like it got worse for Southern states during the hot summer months when everybody hibernates indoors.
Oh no that's different, what they are saying in the UK is that the virus will spread a lot easier in the winter months as it thrives in cold weather. So they are expecting a second spike in the winter.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Oh no that's different, what they are saying in the UK is that the virus will spread a lot easier in the winter months as it thrives in cold weather. So they are expecting a second spike in the winter.
Ready or not, we're going to find out.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The germs don't survive in hot weather well....

But the heat in the US south pushes people indoors.... that's the problem

Similarly, winter compounds the issue
The germs live longer and people huddle indoors - lees outdoor activities

We'll be a while giving this one the slip..... buckle up

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The germs don't survive in hot weather well....

But the heat in the US south pushes people indoors.... that's the problem

Similarly, winter compounds the issue
The germs live longer and people huddle indoors - lees outdoor activities

We'll be a while giving this one the slip..... buckle up
I suspect my overstay charge is going to be high. Maybe I should just work on residency and go legal.