Eden Norte getting slammed (And rightfully so)

Sep 22, 2009
Our power was out for 24 hours from yesterday afternoon to this afternoon. While power was off, a tree trimming truck entered our development,
Two of our residents were begging, then screaming at them to help restore our power. They just said no, they were not contracted to do that.
My dear Winded. You have been in cab for 37 years. Don't you understand the system by now?

I am adding:. During Maria, they took the power before the storm even began! I'm sure your remember. 3 days they let it roll then. My bill came in the same

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Why do the transformers blow so frequently ( 2 the other night) aren't they grounded, or just just chincy wiring ?

Sep 22, 2009
Why do the transformers blow so frequently ( 2 the other night) aren't they grounded, or just just chincy wiring ?
Many factors. I'm not an electrician but ground is in fact a big factor, also the gross amount of patched wiring, also old, old equipment set up to break at the right time, i.e. when contractors need to be paid double time.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The one I have the most difficulty adjusting to:

The electric has been off for a few days during hot weather.
It suddenly comes back on and the family gives out a cheer.
After five minutes it goes off again.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My dear Winded. You have been in cab for 37 years. Don't you understand the system by now?

I am adding:. During Maria, they took the power before the storm even began! I'm sure your remember. 3 days they let it roll then. My bill came in the same
Did I say anything about me not understanding? I was not the one screaming at Edenorte, it was the "rookies" going ballistic on the tree cutters providing some comic relief to the moment. Please read what I post just a bit better for the comprehension of it. And have a lovely day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Probably shorting their outputs to ground during the storm and overloading them is what blew them out. Improper fuse sizing is likely the culprit. The fuse should blow first.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
As much as I dislike Ede Norte and years of bad service, dirty power that killed appliances and Smart meters that tripled our bills. Take breath.

We installed a solar system that paid us back within a couple of years. Intigrated with our generator for power outages. When Maria went by, we had taken our solar panels down and ran on generator for 5 days.

This storm, IMHO, was worse and took out some panels and just to top things off, our generator wouldn't work. Called freinds Nd generator repaired over night.

However, Ede was back online within 12 hours. I was expecting 3 or more days.

Solar restored today thanks to more friends.

Being here over 20 years... I get a real ROFL from those that have a fit when power out for...... 20 minutes. Some of us remember 8, 12 hous and days without.

We still keep a supply of water, candles and hard cover books.

Reactions: Auryn

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I also remember what Maria did going up the U.S. north coast as well as other storms. Would be nice, better to keep such events in real world prospective.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
As much as I dislike Ede Norte and years of bad service, dirty power that killed appliances and Smart meters that tripled our bills. Take breath.

We installed a solar system that paid us back within a couple of years. Intigrated with our generator for power outages. When Maria went by, we had taken our solar panels down and ran on generator for 5 days.

This storm, IMHO, was worse and took out some panels and just to top things off, our generator wouldn't work. Called freinds Nd generator repaired over night.

However, Ede was back online within 12 hours. I was expecting 3 or more days.

Solar restored today thanks to more friends.

Being here over 20 years... I get a real ROFL from those that have a fit when power out for...... 20 minutes. Some of us remember 8, 12 hous and days without.

We still keep a supply of water, candles and hard cover books.
One more reason for me to not go solar at this time if a storm like this could do that.

Sep 22, 2009
Did I say anything about me not understanding? I was not the one screaming at Edenorte, it was the "rookies" going ballistic on the tree cutters providing some comic relief to the moment. Please read what I post just a bit better for the comprehension of it. And have a lovely day.
Does this.mean I'm not.coming.over for sweet tea

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
One more reason for me to not go solar at this time if a storm like this could do that.
Every thing fixed. Major gen part
Two replacement panels. Parts and labor. Under 1200 US. Less then our past E
bill plus appliance replacements for.......
1 month.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Downed power, internet and cable lines part way up the hill in the entrance to Los Cerros near Delance. Trees have road completely blocked.
Also Telephone pole broke up the hill and fell blocking that road.
Seems no one owns a chainsaw.
Another pole (which has my power lines attached has been reported to Eden Norte multiple time - with no result.
attached is a photo of it - Not sure why it did not go this storm - leans more each week - like the Leaning Tower of Pizza
20200802_100528.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
About all you can do is call the office in Puerto Plata, insist that a report is generated. Get the report number and keep following up. Short of that wave some pesos at an edenorte truck you see in the neighborhood. Someone with a cable and a 4x4 should have pulled those blockages out of the way by now. Contact city hall on Monday if nothing done by then.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
About all you can do is call the office in Puerto Plata, insist that a report is generated. Get the report number and keep following up. Short of that wave some pesos at an edenorte truck you see in the neighborhood. Someone with a cable and a 4x4 should have pulled those blockages out of the way by now. Contact city hall on Monday if nothing done by then.
OR you change your expectations and deal with it.

Like we have in the past and so many others are doing so now.

Sep 22, 2009
OR you change your expectations and deal with it.

Like we have in the past and so many others are doing so now.
Solar, I would otherwise tend to agree. Here is my thing with laying down. Once you start to lay down you develop a habit, a system, per se. There is a fine line with a tree bending in the storm and one that falls over when a sparrows wing flaps.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Solar, I would otherwise tend to agree. Here is my thing with laying down. Once you start to lay down you develop a habit, a system, per se. There is a fine line with a tree bending in the storm and one that falls over when a sparrows wing flaps.
Best not to even try to talk with you. Blocked.