yarmulke in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
I am Jewish and I normally wear a large black yarmulke.

How will this go over in the DR?

I understand the Judaism is probably unknown to almost everyone, however would it be recognized as something religious?

It is basically the same as the zucchetto worn by bishops and cardinals.

Or should I just wear a baseball cap?

CaribeDigital

Sep 5, 2014

I understand the Judaism is probably unknown to almost everyone, however would it be recognized as something religious?

Better a baseball cap.
No, there is no religious prejudice in the DR, people have other problems, but a baseball cap gives better protection from sunrays.

dingolay

Aug 28, 2014
Puerto Plata
My friend, no one notices how you dress in DR. Have fun. Please remember that it was Jews who founded Sousa in the North Coast. The former Mayor of Sosua is Jewish. There is a Jewish Museum in Sosua and there was a Synagogue. Unfortunately, it was sold and replaced by a Restaurant. I have not seen any religious biases in DR. HAVE FUN!

Sep 22, 2009

Can you get us a pic of this?

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
Can you get us a pic of this?

BaisMedrashInterior.jpg

Reactions: NelleG

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

It's not an issue. There is Chabad in Santo Domingo, and a small, but committed group here in Sosua. If you feel uncomfortable, switch to a baseball cap. It's not a big deal; Dominicans are, in fact, very proud of the rescue of the 750 Sosua Jews in WW2. PM me if you need more advice/info.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
There is a Jewish Museum in Sosua and there was a Synagogue. Unfortunately, it was sold and replaced by a Restaurant.
The synagogue was most assuredly not "sold and replaced by a restaurant." If you are talking about the place near Playero, that was never the synagogue. It was a splinter group. The synagogue is alive (if not well) and is next door to Casa Marina.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
You'll find a lot of mezuzahs in the campos.
Only on houses that were formerly owned by Jewish settlers. Mezuzahs are very hard to come by here, and the scroll inside (which makes it a mezuzah) is very expensive, if it's kosher.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
So: question about the kippah: large black? Satin or velvet? 6 piece or 8? Do you have payes?

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
So: question about the kippah: large black? Satin or velvet? 6 piece or 8? Do you have payes?

Actually, I was really curious to know if Dominicans would have additional respect and appreciation for someone who is openly religious. As I understand it, being God fearing is highly valued in the DR.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
As a Jewish person you are for more likely to
experience prejudice(woke folks) in the USA
than in the DR.

In the US the only bigotry against my religion (orthodox Judaism) I have experienced if from gays or Muslims. I'd rather not go into details, but it's been pretty horrific from those two communities. As I understand it, neither group is very prominent in the DR.

Status
Not open for further replies.