The DR and the Recession of 2008

Sep 22, 2009
Most homes with internal bathrooms were build using a septic tank.

So many wanted to avoid having the septic cleaned more often due to excessive toilet paper overflow. It wasn’t because of the pipe diameter much (some yes) and more about saving a buck and the stink for days from the septic’s lid removal.

The lombrices could eat all the feces but not the paper for some reason (taste? 😂).

The latrines just got moved somewhere else behind the house once full...
A for imagery Pichardo!

• Haha
Reactions: Africaida
Jan 3, 2003
I have lived here for over 12 years, married into a large Dominican family, have done business here for years, travel the country far more than most, and pay close attention.
You are more of a Dominican than I am. I am by blood but have come to detest the DR. I find it a country with no resolve to exterminate the criminals, the gangs, the murderers.

There is no order and discipline at present. My only hope are the hard core Truj.....tas and Balagueristas in New York City who swear they will rebuild the Old Republic into a bastion of ORDER and DISCIPLINE.

At present, with the PLD routing Ramfis I see no hope of that unless Ramfis with the support of the military engage in a coup. I have asked them that many of us would support the destruction of democracy in the DR.

I am not alone in this desire but I see no ability on their part to do this and thus have abandoned any desire of going back to that moral cesspool of a nation.

• Wow
Reactions: El Rey de Mangu
Sep 22, 2009
You are more of a Dominican than I am. I am by blood but have come to detest the DR. I find it a country with no resolve to exterminate the criminals, the gangs, the murderers.

There is no order and discipline at present. My only hope are the hard core Truj.....tas and Balagueristas in New York City who swear they will rebuild the Old Republic into a bastion of ORDER and DISCIPLINE.

At present, with the PLD routing Ramfis I see no hope of that unless Ramfis with the support of the military engage in a coup. I have asked them that many of us would support the destruction of democracy in the DR.

I am not alone in this desire but I see no ability on their part to do this and thus have abandoned any desire of going back to that moral cesspool of a nation.
Ouch

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

Many, many people feel the same way, O/C.

Unfortunately, the DR debt puts the country at the mercy of international banksters, like the IMF, and any move toward squashing the criminal element with an iron fist would be impossible.

Reactions: Onions/Carrots

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Hmmmmm... 🤔

Attachments

• 1631631D-1138-4C00-9DE1-DD9458180282.jpeg
    1631631D-1138-4C00-9DE1-DD9458180282.jpeg
    251.3 KB · Views: 357
  • 7D724C53-66C0-4EAC-91F6-2C96F62158B3.jpeg
    7D724C53-66C0-4EAC-91F6-2C96F62158B3.jpeg
    579 KB · Views: 354
Jan 9, 2004
Like I said, give it until Dec 31st 2020 and we will see how things went quick

You must be expecting some sort of miracle then.................... let's hope it is not like the recent cross toss in Puerto Plata;

Those are some seriously concerning numbers.

December 31, 2020 is not that far away.

And please do not buy Dominican bonds.........unless you are trying to send your money to die.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

pokerplayer

Mar 22, 2020
You must be expecting some sort of miracle then.................... let's hope it is not like the recent cross toss in Puerto Plata;

Those are some seriously concerning numbers.

December 31, 2020 is not that far away.

And please do not buy Dominican bonds.........unless you are trying to send your money to die.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

This is very good information. 5.6 percent growth is predicted in 2021 after a 3.5 percent drop this year. Hopefully the predicted rebound next year is correct.

Jan 9, 2004
This is very good information. 5.6 percent growth is predicted in 2021 after a 3.5 percent drop this year. Hopefully the predicted rebound next year is correct.
Certainly the information is good to know........but the anticipated results are in a word.......concerning.

The DR economy has grown at 6+% for years..............and they have budgeted and borrowed as though that 6+% would not only continue but actually rise.

Now we have a projected -3.5% for 2020 and a +5.6% in 2021. That translates to a 2 year growth rate of just over 1% per year. That cannot support the DR financially going forward without either new taxes or more borrowing or what is more likely............both.

This may not be the Baninter problem of 2003-2005 or the world financial crisis of 2008-2009...............but it definitely will continue to negatively affect the peso for some time to come.

Moral of the story............for the time being......................do not hold large amounts of pesos.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: caribmike
Jan 3, 2003
I largely agree, especially the Swedish model.

I'm just not sure that model applies to the DR and the culture.

Swedes aren't particularly touchy-feely and as gregarious as Dominicans, not to mention Dominicans live on top of each other.

And multiple-generation households are the rule here out of economic necessity, unlike Sweden. It would be nearly impossible to sequester the old and vulnerable.

Other than that, I'm all-in for herd immunity and think much of the economic damage in the hemisphere is unnecessary and self-inflicted.

How will the DR survive? That's the RD$3,500,000 question...

The DR is behaving as if it were a 1st world nation which it is not. The PLD may pay its government officials 1st world salaries but it is a 3rd world nation. Their containment efforts are worthless.

There is no health care system by comparison. The fact that Dominicans live on top of one another like ants is a plus. It will aid the coronavirus in quickly spreading throughout the population.

Absent a truly functional health care system, those who die from quick spread versus governmental lockdown measures will be the same. The duration differential is the only variable.

Therefore, a quick spread is much better to mitigate the economic carnage impacting the lower and middle classes at present. No income and limited to zero governmental assistance is creating severe pressures to these two groups as we speak.

Jan 3, 2003
Like I said, give it until Dec 31st 2020 and we will see how things went quick

Pichardo come back and give us some good news even if it is FAKE NEWS. :)

Here's a statement Pichardo would approve. The peso is strengthening for reasons I can't fathom. It is back down to 56 last I heard.

Jan 3, 2003
What was the "official" published exchange rate on 6 January,2011.Dom.peso,"vis a vi" the US Dollar.
What is it today?
I'll keep my "stash" in US Dollars!
And,."YES"!,"Derfish" Pichardo has "TIES" to the PLD,and the construction industry!
He also is a Dominican,with ALL that THAT agenda brings to the table!
"Nuf Said"????????????
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc
This is the only way to resurrect Good Ole Cris Colon. Keep him up on top LOL.

Reactions: bob saunders
Jan 9, 2004
Hmmmmm... 🤔

Hmmmmmmmm...:unsure:

And now we have the second quarter and first half numbers.............creating a whole different look;

December 31st is not that far away.........

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jan 3, 2003
Where the heck have you been
Distraught over who Abinader has chosen to head Migration. He's a PRO Haiti Dominican. The DR can not feed its children and the Haitians. The PLD is going to look like the FAR RIGHT if Abinader's appointees go through with their agenda. If there ever was a time for a Nationalist to rise up, now is the time. The problem is that such a FAR RIGHT gun toting gun slinging gambler is nowhere near the horizon. The DR is doomed. Hopefully, foreign investors will see what's coming and head for the hills. Only economic devastation can alter the Dominican Communists plan to meld Haiti and the DR into one.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro
Jan 3, 2003
Exactly. That would be an actual growth rate of 10%........not very likely unless tourism/exports roar back.

+6% from -4%......... leaves you with an actual real 2% growth rate.

However, Abinader did spin it as most politicians would.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
If these politicians keep talking about growth, there's no way in HELL they will be able to repatriate to their country of origin the millions of undocumented Haitians in the DR. The international community won't allow it. I feel for the millions of impoverished Dominicans who will have to compete for extremely limited resources with these illegal inhabitants in a country that hasn't seen any type of economic betterment or progress for them.

The inner circle of gov't cronies and their sycophants will always see this type of growth as they award themselves with all the trappings of government largesse. They'll continue to milk the international community of any and all means of grants, loans, DFI, bonds, aid, etc. They've gotten good at the game of Wall Street producing cockamamie financial instruments and vehicles to keep the money flowing for the sole purpose of self enrichment and perpetuation.