Window Fans -- why not?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Apologies in advance as this borders on the inane, but why don't dominicans use window fans? The wind dies at night, but it usually comfortable outside, but still warm inside the brick/cement houses. Also, my GF is downright religious about locking all the windows when leaving the house, so we usually return to an oven. A window fan cools things off in a hurry. They like them, great idea, and then turn on their oscillating fans.

I've brought multiple window fans to the DR in my luggage as I can't seem to locate them in stores, but they often get broken (one given away).

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Let me understand this a little better. You can't find window fans in any DR store and wonder why Dominicans don't use them... Am I correct this far?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Let me understand this a little better. You can't find window fans in any Dominican store and wonder why the people don't use them... Am I correct this far?
Spot on. Something so easy to find back "home".

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I imagine security might be part of it - if you don't have window bars.

If it's your house, you could pop in a Whole House Fan thru an exterior wall. They are unbelievable for pulling in cool air. You can cage the outside of it so no security issues.

Reactions: GringoRubio

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I imagine security might be part of it - if you don't have window bars.

If it's your house, you could pop in a Whole House Fan thru an exterior wall. They are unbelievable for pulling in cool air. You can cage the outside of it so no security issues.
Those tend to be very loud and big.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Apologies in advance as this borders on the inane, but why don't dominicans use window fans? The wind dies at night, but it usually comfortable outside, but still warm inside the brick/cement houses. Also, my GF is downright religious about locking all the windows when leaving the house, so we usually return to an oven. A window fan cools things off in a hurry. They like them, great idea, and then turn on their oscillating fans.

I've brought multiple window fans to the DR in my luggage as I can't seem to locate them in stores, but they often get broken (one given away).
I was looking for one the other day. I figured I could go into just about any store and grab one, but it was not to be.

Worse, I asked the clerks about them in a couple of stores and they didn't even know what I was talking about. I always called them box fans. Same thing?

Edit: That was a dumb question. Searched for them on Amazon. A window fan is a fan (or fans) mounted in a frame that fills up the space left by opening the window. A box fan is a square box with a round fan. Box fans are much cheaper. Several under 30 bucks, including Laskos. (My favorite)

Last edited:
Reactions: GringoRubio

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
I was looking for one the other day. I figured I could go into just about any store and grab one, but it was not to be.

Worse, I asked the clerks about them in a couple of stores and they didn't even know what I was talking about. I always called them box fans. Same thing?

Edit: That was a dumb question. Searched for them on Amazon. A window fan is a fan (or fans) mounted in a frame that fills up the space left by opening the window. A box fan is a square box with a round fan. Box fans are much cheaper. Several under 30 bucks, including Laskos. (My favorite)
OVERHEAD fans give so much "cool" I need to shut mine at night. Its too much. No security problems. No noise . Just a blast of cooling.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
24" 30" 36" The new ones are much quieter then years ago. A window fan will push cool air in. A whole house f will replace all the hot air with fresh if the system designed correctly .

So basically it's better to have it suck air in, not blow air out?

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
So basically it's better to have it suck air in, not blow air out?

Yes, but it's doing both. Imagine the amount of cubic inches a small window fan can move. Not much. It can maybe cool down a room.

Now imagine a 36 inch fan, not pushing, but pulling in a large amount of air thru the whatever openings you deem to be best. A whole house fan can move two or three cubic feet per minute.

It pulls in that cool air, from the lower window openings and at the same time gets rid of the warmer air because the whole house fan is positioned at the highest point in the house - where all the warmest air is. Designed correctly, it usually needs to be on a thermostat so it shuts down when it reaches a low enough temp.

Reactions: JD Jones

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Sadly, GF says ceiling fans give her a headache. Linda y difícil.

Same here. I wake up in the middle of the night with a stuffy nose and a headache as well. I love my 6 blade fan but not when I'm not sleeping

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
Same here. I wake up in the middle of the night with a stuffy nose and a headache as well. I love my 6 blade fan but not when I'm not sleeping
I have a split unit ac and the overhead fan. GF loves both of them on at the some time. Ever try to be amorous wearing a overcoat, scarf and woolen gloves? Not easy.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I have a split unit ac and the overhead fan. GF loves both of them on at the some time. Ever try to be amorous wearing a overcoat, scarf and woolen gloves? Not easy.

LOL

Probably because you have your A/C set too low. My fan is set on low, my A/C at 78. Perfect if I'm not alone, a tad chilly if I am

Last edited: