Coronavirus - In the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Well , look at Sweden:

Look at how they are doing now by not shutting down much at all.
Sweden is a very socially responsible country, so the comparison isn't so good. They may not have shutdown but people behaved themselves. Also, the swedish elderly paid a high price and even the Swedes say too high. Search on the BBC for more articles.

If everyone pulled in the same direction, things would be under control sufficiently to be able to just quarantine the sick, exposed, and travelers which would be orders of magnitude less expensive. But, well, people are people.

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
See today's numbers.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Well , look at Sweden:

Look at how they are doing now by not shutting down much at all.

Since you are very smart, can discern facts from fiction and you have a lot of time on your hands you may widen your research.
It has been clearly demonstrated by economic studies, that a lockdown or not implemented by governments had little consequences.

It was clear that people were motivated by fear.

People who lived in areas with a lot of infections and death regulated their activities regardless of government intervention.
People reduced contact with others as much as possible and stayed home, out of fear of infection and death,
Which was clearly seen in their area.

International and regional reduction in supply chains reduced economic production,
As did internal demand of products.
These effects on economies were the result of CV19 infections world wide and not results of of government actions.

Recent increases of CV19 may result in the return of fear and it's predictable results on economies.
Future government restrictions to keep the spread of CV19 somewhat under control and warnings of virologists,
May effect economies, but zero restrictions may also not benefit economic output.

It may be wise to try to slow down the spread of CV19
And governmental help to get economies going may be helpful.

The front line workers Doctors, Nurses and hospital support personal are the first to be affected and they know what is going on.
Let's hope they continue to be willing to put their lives in danger and help sick people.

CV19 shows clearly who is lying and what actions help people and which economies work best.
Lying and denial has zero effect on CV19, reality rules with clearly visible results.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Lobo, Slowing down the spread does help to not overload the medical system, so there is that.
It also tends to ruin the economy, keep children out of school, keep parents home watching the children and all those
other things social distancing does while flattening the curve and not eliminating the disease.

I have no solution to the overall problem, so I just stay home and hope that eventually there is something that reduces risk.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Lobo, Slowing down the spread does help to not overload the medical system, so there is that.
It also tends to ruin the economy, keep children out of school, keep parents home watching the children and all those
other things social distancing does while flattening the curve and not eliminating the disease.

I have no solution to the overall problem, so I just stay home and hope that eventually there is something that reduces risk.

And if I had kids I love, I wouldn't want them to attend school at this time.
I would do home schooling.

Reactions: JD Jones

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
other things social distancing does while flattening the curve and not eliminating the disease. END QUOTE]

To reiterate my point in post 4,553

It is not government restrictions that slow down the economy.
It is CV19 and
It is the fear of the virus by people and the resulting actions which have people have taken which slowed economies.

Staying home, not working, not shopping and consuming.
As is evident in the most effected industries, travel and hospitality.

Global reduction in demand and supply chains because of CV19 has ruined economies,
Not government actions.
Not mask wearing or curfews.

People stay home out of fear in CV19 areas and consequently consumption and demand is reduced.
Add to this loss of incomes and disposable income of many citizens.

Most people do not want to be in large groups, restaurants, hotels, airports or air planes.

The recent start up of cruises, new infections on board and subsequent new shut downs of cruise ship travel,
Is another example and indicator.

Let's blame CV19 and poor response of some governments.
You can best judge DR consequences and responses, as can my family and friends who reside in the DR.

GusFring

Apr 15, 2020
The US Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory advising U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.

Updated August 7, 2020

The Dominican Republic has 77,709 confirmed cases of COVID-19 and 1,259 confirmed deaths.
News reports indicate many hospitals no longer have beds vacant for COVID-19 and are no longer able to accept new COVID-19 patients. U.S. citizens are encouraged to postpone travel due to considerations noted on our website that include the significantly reduced availability of emergency medical care as well as concerns noted in our general information on travel to the Dominican Republic.
Medical care is severely limited with many hospitals at or near full capacity, there is limited availability of ICU beds, and hospitalized patients may have an increased risk of exposure to COVID-19. U.S. citizens, including those considering travel to the D.R. for elective surgery, are encouraged to postpone travel due to considerations noted on our website that include the significantly reduced availability of emergency medical care as well as concerns noted in our general information on travel to the Dominican Republic.
Routine operations at U.S. Embassy Santo Domingo are still suspended due to the COVID-19 epidemic and the travel warning advising U.S. citizens against any international travel remains in effect.

Reactions: JD Jones

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
My friends kids got the whole family sick 🤕 they recovered but wife is still with issues. If I had kids now I would be worried they bring it home :(
Agreed. Why take the risk if you can avoid it?

If only 5% get very sick, than with a family of 4 your now up to 16% of a serious illness in the family.

Take a whole elementary school and their families, then the probability approaches unity, 100%.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Agreed. Why take the risk if you can avoid it?

If only 5% get very sick, than with a family of 4 your now up to 16% of a serious illness in the family.

Take a whole elementary school and their families, then the probability approaches unity, 100%.

it depends on if you have at risk folks in your home. If no ancianos then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm hoping my 17 year old can go to school soon.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Reactions: Garyexpat

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
it depends on if you have at risk folks in your home. If no ancianos then I wouldn't worry about it. I'm hoping my 17 year old can go to school soon.
All ages are at risk by varying degrees. Those risk start adding up as the social circle increases.

That said, I hear you. There are two, teenage boys in my house that are glued to their phones. I keep trying to set them up with home schooling, but I'm starting to think I'll need to get a printer and paper to print up assignments. Those phones are way too addictive.

Reactions: zoomzx11
Sep 22, 2009
  • Love
Reactions: aarhus and JD Jones

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
So if my math is correct and the new govt doesn't change anything this new curfew extension expires on Sept. 3. Did I do the math correctly? Is that the same day as the S.O.E. expires? 20 + 25 = 45 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.