Latinas: Is there truth to the stereotype?

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
Many people have an impression that most Latina (including Dominican) young women have very high sexual appetites and somewhat short tempers in comparison to women of northern European backgrounds. I'm giving sources below.

Obviously, regarding hundreds of millions people, there is going to be a huge amount of diversity. However is there some truth to these stereotypes for the majority of Dominican girls?

From wikipedia:

According to these same studies, the marketing industry has also played a role in stereotyping females with Hispanic origin by using these stereotypical identities to sell product. Specifically, the bodies of Latina women have been used and sexualized to sell product targeted to men. According to Mary Gilly, a professor of business at the University of California Irvine, Latina women in particular are eroticized in the marketing industry due to their frequent portrayal as "tempestuous," "promiscuous," or "sexy."

Stereotypical identities that have spurred from the idea that Hispanic and Latina women are "hot-tempered," "tempestuous," "promiscuous," and "sexy" include the "fiery Latina" and the "hot señorita."

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Stereotypes always suck. You can’t compare a blond argentina woman with a native guatamalteca or a black cuban woman. I have had quiet some fiancees, north european and latinas. I haven’t noticed that many differences. Maybe on later age there might be differences, that I dont know. My wife is the oldest I ever had and she’s 41 now.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Many people have an impression that most Latina (including Dominican) young women have very high sexual appetites and somewhat short tempers in comparison to women of northern European backgrounds. I'm giving sources below.

Obviously, regarding hundreds of millions people, there is going to be a huge amount of diversity. However is there some truth to these stereotypes for the majority of Dominican girls?

From wikipedia:

According to these same studies, the marketing industry has also played a role in stereotyping females with Hispanic origin by using these stereotypical identities to sell product. Specifically, the bodies of Latina women have been used and sexualized to sell product targeted to men. According to Mary Gilly, a professor of business at the University of California Irvine, Latina women in particular are eroticized in the marketing industry due to their frequent portrayal as "tempestuous," "promiscuous," or "sexy."

Stereotypical identities that have spurred from the idea that Hispanic and Latina women are "hot-tempered," "tempestuous," "promiscuous," and "sexy" include the "fiery Latina" and the "hot señorita."

Having been married to both, I can comment that the first sentence of this OP is spot on. My first marriage to a European lasted thirteen years. I am now thirteen years with my Dominicana and still going strong.

Find the right Latina, treat her like your queen and she will treat you like her King, be an amazing mother to your children and be the glue that holds your family together. A Dominican woman won't give up on a relationship at the first sign of trouble. They want to work out a solution to make things work. Life with a Latina is a roller coaster, but hold on tight and enjoy the ride!

But I repeat, find the right one..........that's the challenge.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
It's a cultural stereotype with some truth.

My Protestant German family of origin were uptight about any bodily function so sex was definitely on the "not for conversation" list and women were not to dress or act sexy. I can only guess but women in that culture act like they don't like being women and feel it's an unfair burden and complain bitterly about it.

By contrast, latinas are comfortable in their skin and like being women. They dress attractively and aren't bothered by (reasonable) attention as they consider it normal. They will smile, flirt, etc. There has also been a cultural shift towards booty rather than breasts which Latinas seem to benefit from. When in a relationship, they like to please their man and have no issues with it. They are friendly and warm emotionally.

Are Latinas more promiscuous? Dangerous ground, but honestly, women are women. I can't say that I noticed any difference in this regard. My mantra is Some will, some won't. What's next? I respect their boundaries.

Same with respect to libido. No discernable difference. Maybe, and a big fat maybe, latinas fall in the middle, that is normal. That is, neither nymphomaniac or asexual. Healthy, in other words.

I suspect the marketing shifts have more to do with changing demographics in the states where Latinos are starting to have significant purchasing power and as long as it doesn't turn off their mainstream customer base, they roll with it.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Find one that's within about 15 yrs. of your age and maybe not to hot looking and you have a chance, If you choose one that's about 30 yrs. younger and very hot looking with no education you have no chance. I am talking about Dominicans, and yes most of them have bad tempers.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Find one that's within about 15 yrs. of your age and maybe not to hot looking and you have a chance, If you choose one that's about 30 yrs. younger and very hot looking with no education you have no chance. I am talking about Dominicans, and yes most of them have bad tempers.
You nailed it.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014

From wikipedia:

Not sure about the rest of Latin America
but The Dominican Republic is by far the most promiscuous
county I've ever lived in.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
I think that most ethnic stereotypes are exaggerated, however there is some truth to them. Where there's smoke there's fire.

Also when Americans think of "Latin American" they aren't thinking about a blonde from Argentina of northern European background. They are thinking of Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Cubans and Dominicans since those are most of the Hispanic immigrants to the United States.

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Yes I think all have bad tempers. No matter age or social status or race. Must be cultural. No one is mellow

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
99% of gringos in D.R. are COUNTING on that stereotype. The other 1% have arrest warrants somewhere.
I thought the plane ride does that. I board just plan old me and I emerge looking fabulous if not a chica magnet. It's magical.

harrydubois

Jul 23, 2020
Israel
AKA slump busters. Sometimes when one is in a slump you gotta beat up some ugly women.

That's an interesting song. I can tell you about my experience. First I married a beautiful girl. After ten years she dumped me for another guy. However those ten years were great. Next I married a girl who was attractive, but not beauty pageant material. After two years she gained weight and was kind of ugly. And the more ugly she got, the meaner she got. We were together for 18 years. The last ten were hell. I only stayed for the kids.

So I'd say, all things considered, the beauty was a better deal. Whatever else happens, at least you are getting some happiness.

I'm now single 8 years and I will be celebrating my 60th birthday this month.

I've arranged for a girl I met on Dominican Cupid to meet me at the airport. Pure Playboy centerfold material. Yes, everything may go wrong, however I have a feeling that I will have a few good memories and that's better than nothing.

Reactions: banzai

johne

Silver
Jun 28, 2003
That's an interesting song. I can tell you about my experience. First I married a beautiful girl. After ten years she dumped me for another guy. However those ten years were great. Next I married a girl who was attractive, but not beauty pageant material. After two years she gained weight and was kind of ugly. And the more ugly she got, the meaner she got. We were together for 18 years. The last ten were hell. I only stayed for the kids.

So I'd say, all things considered, the beauty was a better deal. Whatever else happens, at least you are getting some happiness.

I'm now single 8 years and I will be celebrating my 60th birthday this month.

I've arranged for a girl I met on Dominican Cupid to meet me at the airport. Pure Playboy centerfold material. Yes, everything may go wrong, however I have a feeling that I will have a few good memories and that's better than nothing.
You are coming mentally well prepared and have a good attitude about what's going to happen. It's like "seen that, done that, now what do you have to offer me". Good style.