Why the high electricity bills?

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Didn't notice any power outage. Our guys had solar up within a day. Replaced 90 broken roof tiles today and everything clean. BTW, Hurricane Maria didn't harm any tiles. Need to secure some wires but everything looks and working great.

Nice to have people that we have worked with for years, know what they are doing and respond to get the jobs done.

What

Attachments

• 8171f1d3-6492-4dbb-bc98-7f98b7e46843-1.mp4
    8 MB

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Canada / Villa Liberacion
Interesting thing happened after I filed the reclamation. The next day a technician came to the door and asked how many lightbulbs I had. Told him to come in and look for himself. He didn't want to come in, so I told him how many and what appliances I had. That was it. The next day my power goes out. I go to Edenorte and they send a truck. We go to the meter and it's not moving. Imagine that. They change / fix some things and the power is back on. My guess is the thief ripped his wires out and disconnected the power in the process. We'll see.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
The incompetence is remarkable.

The maintenance work never seems to be done and it never makes things better. We had 10 AM to 3 PM maintenance work today.
Power is still off at 4:35 PM. Maybe it will be on at 6 PM, which is as close to 3 PM as they normally get. Imbeciles.

If you really need 24x7, I'd make some infrastructure upgrades to your house with solar and a battery bank.

I lived in a 24x7 zone twice and I noticed no difference between my upscale neighborhood and the ghetto other than the price.

It's really just a gringo trap to generate revenue at the expense of your sanity.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am going to create a North Coast Edenorte Power outage thread in the north coast section so those affected can announce the event to reassure others that it is just not them . Those who are nearby can be aware of where the outages are currently happening and whether the outage is spreading. The info could be useful if DR1 users who have enough backup power to make a post take the time to post a message when they lose electricity and when it comes back on. Misery loves company and we might be able to lessen the feelings of isolation and disappointment through comradery and shared experience.

Unfortunately not everyone has a mega backup system with solar, a generator and batteries so not everyone can sustain themselves during some of these unplanned lengthy outages. The prospect of being in the dark or just having dead or dying batteries can be quite distressing and unnerving. Reading on a laptop with some charge left that the power is slowly being restored to nearby neighborhoods can be the encouraging news that could offer some comfort and hope to those who are not yet back to normal.

It is not intended to be a thread to complain about Edenorte or belittle those who do not have the resources or the ability to buy or rent a generator or a more robust backup system. Some renters and those who live outside of gated communities are just not able to make that kind of investment in a property they do not own and may not have permission to mess about with the wiring. I hope others see the usefulness of this information and use this thread to announce outages and the restoration of power in communities where they and other DR1 users live. These unexpected outages occur frequently enough that I am sure some will find the info useful.

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
I am going to create a North Coast Edenorte Power outage thread in the north coast section so those affected can announce the event to reassure others that it is just not them . Those who are nearby can be aware of where the outages are currently happening and whether the outage is spreading. The info could be useful if DR1 users who have enough backup power to make a post take the time to post a message when they lose electricity and when it comes back on. Misery loves company and we might be able to lessen the feelings of isolation and disappointment through comradery and shared experience.

Unfortunately not everyone has a mega backup system with solar, a generator and batteries so not everyone can sustain themselves during some of these unplanned lengthy outages. The prospect of being in the dark or just having dead or dying batteries can be quite distressing and unnerving. Reading on a laptop with some charge left that the power is slowly being restored to nearby neighborhoods can be the encouraging news that could offer some comfort and hope to those who are not yet back to normal.

It is not intended to be a thread to complain about Edenorte or belittle those who do not have the resources or the ability to buy or rent a generator or a more robust backup system. Some renters and those who live outside of gated communities are just not able to make that kind of investment in a property they do not own and may not have permission to mess about with the wiring. I hope others see the usefulness of this information and use this thread to announce outages and the restoration of power in communities where they and other DR1 users live. These unexpected outages occur frequently enough that I am sure some will find the info useful.
An inversol is on my "to do" list. Just got a second tinaco.

Sep 22, 2009
No offense, Cdn, but if it isn't to complain but to make sure you're not alone, you can just tell over to the neighbor or ask the colmado the corner of they lost power.

I do, however, support the opportunity to thrown the Edenorte mafia u set the bus anytime I can. I am out from under their boots for the first time ever and I'm lovin' it baby.

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
No offense, Cdn, but if it isn't to complain but to make sure you're not alone, you can just tell over to the neighbor or ask the colmado the corner of they lost power.

I do, however, support the opportunity to thrown the Edenorte mafia u set the bus anytime I can. I am out from under their boots for the first time ever and I'm lovin' it baby.
Solar?

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I wonder why the difference with EDE Norte and EDE Este. We have problems down here as well but not of the magnitude I'm reading on this thread. I'm hoping that when Abinader merges the 3 EDEs that it brings you guys up, and not bring us down.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you really need 24x7, I'd make some infrastructure upgrades to your house with solar and a battery bank.

I lived in a 24x7 zone twice and I noticed no difference between my upscale neighborhood and the ghetto other than the price.

It's really just a gringo trap to generate revenue at the expense of your sanity.
The sun don't shine at night.

I looked at solar, then I looked at it a second time, and even a third. It is not my thing at this time. And if it isn't now it probably won't ever be.
I don't have the space for putting in about 20 panels. I understand the new president is going to remove the customs exemptions on solar power.

The only way I would get solar is if I fed it back to the grid to reduce my power consumption if it was going over 700 kWh monthly,
and it does not do that. As for enough batteries to last the night and power my AC, forgetaboutit. Power is far better now than
when I moved here and my bill is under $100 US a month. If only Edenorte did not perform "regular maintenance" it would be even better.

Reactions: chico bill

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Went to the Edenorte office in La Union and they are sending someone out to inspect the wires. Also did a reclamation for the last 3 invoices. Told to come back in 5days for the response. I paid a third of the current invoice pending the outcome.
Finally got a response from edenorte. They say they did not find anything unusual so the invoice stands. Politely told to go pound sand.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I advised my friend w/ the overcharging problem to cancel the current contract and start again

The whole neighborhood was/is getting exorbitant bills.... 20,000 pesos/month
Hit the restart button

Sep 22, 2009
Cancel and restart..... change names if you have to
Exactly. They always find some nice cancellation fees too. Always some "missing" cents that had accrued unfathomable amount of interest that you need to resolve before cancelling

Oh and something i found out years ago was you can't create a contract in your name if the locale already has an active contract under another name.

Brendan Hubley

Dame luz vecino
Apr 30, 2020
Exactly. They always find some nice cancellation fees too. Always some "missing" cents that had accrued unfathomable amount of interest that you need to resolve before cancelling

Oh and something i found out years ago was you can't create a contract in your name if the locale already has an active contract under another name.
I'm a lawyer and the advice I'd give me is that fighting for your principles is costly and fighting city hall is usually like pushing rope uphill. I've been squarely screwed, either by vecinos stealing power or by edenorte playing monopoly bitch; probably both. Hiring an electrician to inspect and protect my shit as best he can.

Reactions: GringoRubio