Trash Pump

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Our water has been off a week thanks to Corraplata being unable to repair a pump. I have a big cistern which still has water but now that it is dropping I want to clean it.
There is considerable silt at the bottom and I'm thinking a submersible trash (or sewerage) pump could suck most of it out.
Has anyone done this and knows a good place to find a pump which would seldom be used for a decent price?
Of course I don't want a used sewerage pump in my cistern so I'm thinking new.

Reactions: jstarebel

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Our water has been off a week thanks to Corraplata being unable to repair a pump. I have a big cistern which still has water but now that it is dropping I want to clean it.
There is considerable silt at the bottom and I'm thinking a submersible trash (or sewerage) pump could suck most of it out.
Has anyone done this and knows a good place to find a pump which would seldom be used for a decent price?

I'm guessing a shop vac wouldn't work because it's silt.

I wonder if a ladrona with a garden hose would work? Or maybe let it empty completely dry and sweep it up? Thinking out loud....

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
My husband bought the following in December, 2015 from Ochoa to empty the cistern.
Still had to get someone to climb in and shovel up the remainder of accumulated dirt from the great water company in the D.R..

Back then it was about $3,400 pesos
SumpPump.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not what you asked, but........ About once a year we let ours empty out, and pay a couple of guys to climb in there. They use buckets for any debris (we have a well), and they scrub the walls with brushes and bleach, rinse and repeat.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Well I am willing to pay a guy but I still have to empty it at first and the pipe drawing water doesn't go to the bottom, which is good because it would be sucking sand and dirt.
So I need a submersible pump - A trash pump could get rid of most of the fine dirt then I can send in guys to brush the walls with bleach.
I will look into the cost and report back

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you didn't already know someone who does that kind of work, how would you go about finding someone to do it?

Nobody

18+++
Apr 10, 2020
The pump I posted earlier pumps the water out fast.

You will need to also buy plastic tubing at the hardware store.
We bought 1 inch, clear flexible plastic tubing.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I use these for water barrels. You could put one right at the bottom and use for future cleanings. I haven't bought them in the DR but I'm sure you can get them somewhere. Just make sure you drill a nice round hole with a hole saw bit. And use a cordless drill - duct tape a plastic bag around the drill. It's a little tricky but can be done wet. $15 on Amazon.

71TKDlSPhfL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y7XPPV...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I use these for water barrels. You could put one right at the bottom and use for future cleanings. I haven't bought them in the DR but I'm sure you can get them somewhere. Just make sure you drill a nice round hole with a hole saw bit. And use a cordless drill - duct tape a plastic bag around the drill. It's a little tricky but can be done wet. $15 on Amazon.

View attachment 3108

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Y7XPPV...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
It's an 8'x8'x8' concrete cistern not a plastic barrel and it is in the ground, so drilling a drain hole is not an option

Reactions: ctrob

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009

In regards to the Corraplata pump being broken. I called the Puerto Plata office and the lady told me that they repaired the pump and it broke again. Today, the boss will be making a decision on replacing it.....what ever that really mean.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Well I am willing to pay a guy but I still have to empty it at first and the pipe drawing water doesn't go to the bottom, which is good because it would be sucking sand and dirt.
So I need a submersible pump - A trash pump could get rid of most of the fine dirt then I can send in guys to brush the walls with bleach.
I will look into the cost and report back

Any pool maintenance companies in your area? They will have the pump you are looking for. Should be likely 2-4 hour service call.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
In regards to the Corraplata pump being broken. I called the Puerto Plata office and the lady told me that they repaired the pump and it broke again. Today, the boss will be making a decision on replacing it.....what ever that really mean.
That means another 10 days until they take any action. They have a lot of gall to call themselves a water company. Anyone want to bet the monthly bill arrives unchanged even if the water is out for a month ?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
That means another 10 days until they take any action. They have a lot of gall to call themselves a water company. Anyone want to bet the monthly bill arrives unchanged even if the water is out for a month ?

I will be calling them again tomorrow morning to stay on top of this. Please do the same. The number is 809 586 2461

Reactions: chico bill

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

This is an easy fix.. grab up a new "sump pump" and pump down the cistern. Buy a 1/2 hp and not one of the little guys.. Pay a guy to get inside and use a wet vac to get the crap off the bottom. Keep the vac outside, attach some more hose using duct tape to extend the vac suction hose if needed. If you have a couple of days, put a fan in it to dry everything out. Send the guy back in with a broom and dust pan to get the rest of the crap out...

8x8x8 ft holds 3,830 gallons of water. You will need to add 30 ounces of regular household 5.25% bleach to get 1ppm chlorine content needed for the initial fill shock.. This will make sure everything is cool bacteriological. Prime your pump, and you're off to the races... Every time you fill, add a little bleach.. Or buy a cheap pool test kit and keep track of the chlorine level keeping it around 0.5ppm chlorine..

Hope this helps.