Bourbon

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
What brands? Where to get it? Cost?

That is the information I am looking for. My experience in the Dominican Republic is that Bourbon here is rare, expensive and with very few options. And feel free to make comments on taste profiles and quality.

Any others out there enjoy Bourbon? One of the reason I switched to Scotch even though it is not my favorite is that the prices to found on really basic bourbons here in the Dominican Republic amount to what I feel is highway robbery. Anyone wanna ride shotgun?

But I've switched back because over the years I have found a few more options that made me just forget the money and pay. "Cash rules everything around me! - Wu-Tang Klan. And I am really glad that I did.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The DR is definitely not Bourbon country. I have a couple of cool friends who bring me a bottle when they fly down.

I saw Dewars Caribbean the other day in Sirena. First for me.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
The DR is definitely not Bourbon country. I have a couple of cool friends who bring me a bottle when they fly down.
If you got friends bringing your a bottle when they fly down then they are good friends. I had a friend that had a bottle Blanton's (the favorite of Mr. Wick) with my name on it. But then COVID-19 and he never made it down it has been messing up the program every sense. :cry:

On this my man I can agree. The DR is NOT Bourbon country. Given the connect the DR has to the US and their love of Scotch, I fail to understand this. One of things I have know is a lot of social drinking (that is drinking done in front of others in order to impress) has to do with name recognition. Every Dominican (male and female) that I have introduced to Bourbon with:
Evan Williams Black Label750 ml 975 DOP$16.77Ron Depot
has liked it. But only one ever knew of it before my introduction. My friend Evan is my goto bourbon that is not cheap but it is cheap enough for me to drink everyday if I want. In my country of origin by buy it by the handle. And I pay about 2 USD more for 1740 ml. That is what really irritates me.:mad: What happens to make a bottle of bourbon double in price on it's voyage from the United States of America?

I saw Dewars Caribbean the other day in Sirena. First for me.
Did you pick up a bottle? If so, what were your tasting notes, quality impressions and price?

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
Jim Beam, Jack Daniels available in Cabrera in 1,500 pesos range. You might want to try Canadian Club, , not quite a bourbon but very smooth, in the 1,200 range ( spoken by a good little Canadian who has spent 9 years trying to really, really like rum!)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Did you pick up a bottle? If so, what were your tasting notes, quality impressions and price?

Nah.. I am not the drinker I used to be. Got enough at home to last me the rest of my life thanks to great friends.

I may grab one though. You never know. If I do I'll let ya'll know.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Perhaps you should try Rum.
Really my man?! That is the best you got for me?
William Webster started a post on Rum. It is in the living section. And I know you know it exists because you posted in it. So there is a thread for that. Maybe you missed my post?
Leyenda is sweet sweet rum that I enjoy on a hot weekend afternoon or at the beach with just a small ice cube to cool it down and open it up a bit. I keep a bottle on my shelf at all times.
My new goto sipper is Relicario Superior. Lots of flavor and it does not break the bank. My everyday sipper is Bermudez 1852. My favorite ron dominicano of all time is 1888 before they changed the formula. It is no longer available and I only have a pour or two more before it's all gone.:cry:
As for your suggestion thank you. Because that was my goto choice until I decided to expand my bar. I know how to adapt to DR living. But over the years I have found increasing amount of imported products that were my favorite. I found a excellent source for bourbons that allowed me expand my collection I did not already have on my shelf. I have one of their entire selection in my bar right now. That is why I started this thread. So see if there are any others out there that enjoy bourbon and how they source from within the Dominican Republic.

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Or Glenfiddich
That ain't Bourbon. That is Scotch right. Single Malt. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 so see what all the hype was about with Single Malts. Got it on my shelf right now. I was not impressed. I prefer smoke flavor profile in my Scotch. Some people consider that aggressive. I like aggressive. I'd like to try an Ardbeg 10. I've read it has an the type of flavor profile I like. Aggressive. You wanna talk Scotch. I am not a expert. But I do know what I like. I have no problem listening to your opinions even if you not expert. As for Bourbon (the topic of this thread) I prefer overproof with a spicy flavor.

More knowledge is always a good thing. Advice is sometimes worth no more than what you pay for it.

• Haha

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I know it’s not Bourbon 😔. If you don’t like the refined taste of
That ain't Bourbon. That is Scotch right. Single Malt. I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 12 so see what all the hype was about with Single Malts. Got it on my shelf right now. I was not impressed. I prefer smoke flavor profile in my Scotch. Some people consider that aggressive. I like aggressive. I'd like to try an Ardbeg 10. I've read it has an the type of flavor profile I like. Aggressive. You wanna talk Scotch. I am not a expert. But I do know what I like. I have no problem listening to your opinions even if you not expert. As for Bourbon (the topic of this thread) I prefer overproof with a spicy flavor.

More knowledge is always a good thing. Advice is sometimes worth no more than what you pay for it.
I know that isn’t Bourbon 😟. If you don’t like the Highland malts maybe you want to consider a Islay whiskey, lots of natural flavour. Try Laphroaig or Bowmore or Lagavulin.
When I was younger I have tried to drink Jack Daniels. But it’s like driving a Chevrolet after having owned a Jaguar. Not for me, no refinement...

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If you don’t like the Highland malts maybe you want to consider a Islay whiskey, lots of natural flavour. Try Laphroaig or Bowmore or Lagavulin. When I was younger I have tried to drink Jack Daniels. But it’s like driving a Chevrolet after having owned a Jaguar. Not for me, no refinement...
And that is why we all have our preferences. Thank you for your opinions and suggestions.
Laphroaig, Bowmore or Lagavulin. Where would I source those in Santo Domingo and what are the prices?

Because I would much rather spend my money on a Knob Creek 100 Proof Small Batch before buying another bottle of Scotch. Knob Creek is the best Bourbon I have tasted so far. And the best one I have been able to source here in the Dominican Republic.
Knob Creek Small Batch750 ml 2815 DOP$48.10Licormart

I prefer American muscle cars but you are correct they do not have any refinement. My Mustang with the 4.0 is a beast. Short wheel base and when I first get back to drive I have to feather the accelerator until I get the feel of it again. Cause the back in will swing out from behind me. But when I head onto the open road break 100 MPH and that suspension sits down. Sweet. Better do like Luda says: "I do 100 on the highway so if you do the speed limit get the (expletive deleted) out of my way!" But they run with a lot more reliability than a Jaguar. Remember when the joke was that you had to buy two. One to put in the shop and one to drive. Then alternate.

You know when I was a young man. A wine expert took me under his wing. I want to learn all about wine and how to know if something was good or not. Right of the bat he explained that a good wine is whatever your taste buds tell you. If you like it, it your money and your taste. I have always keep that in mind. A good whiskey is whatever you like. I don't judge other people by what they drink. But I do enjoy hearing their opinions and ideas on what they like.

Just chalk it up to me being "tan barrio" and keep that in mind when speaking to someone like me from the lower unrefined masses. :ROFLMAO:

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Crown Royal is available in most liquor stores and duty free
That is correct with the exception of Crown Royal: Apple. It receives a insane markup compared to what I can buy for in my country of origin. But I prefer Crown Royal: Vanilla. But I not found that in DR. They should not be able to make whiskey taste like candy. I do enjoy that over some ice. And Crown Royal makes a killer whiskey sour. It is fine neat also.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Crown Royal Salted Carmel and Crown Royal Peach are my 2 favorites in the Crown family. I don't find any Canadian Whisky tastes anything like Bourbon.
In the PC/ Bavaro area you can find several Jack Daniels Bourbon's at pretty much any of the bigger supermarkets and at Liqormart.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
And that is why we all have our preferences. Thank you for your opinions and suggestions.
Laphroaig, Bowmore or Lagavulin. Where would I source those in Santo Domingo and what are the prices?

Because I would much rather spend my money on a Knob Creek 100 Proof Small Batch before buying another bottle of Scotch. Knob Creek is the best Bourbon I have tasted so far. And the best one I have been able to source here in the Dominican Republic.
Knob Creek Small Batch750 ml2815 DOP$48.10Licormart

Just chalk it up to me being "tan barrio" and keep that in mind when speaking to someone like me from the lower unrefined masses. :ROFLMAO:
Sorry Yourmaninvegas. Once you left the DR availability or not is not in your mind anymore. In fact I never saw any Islay on the island. You are not tan barrio, don’t say that, and I don’t think so. Everybody his preferences. No problem. Good luck with finding your favourite bourbon.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Really my man?! That is the best you got for me?
William Webster started a post on Rum. It is in the living section. And I know you know it exists because you posted in it. So there is a thread for that. Maybe you missed my post?
Yawn... Yep, that is the best I got for ya.
I here it goes well with plantanos.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
In fact I never saw any Islay on the island.
I am not a Scotch expert so I will defer to your knowledge of the subject and availability in the Dominican Republic.
You are not tan barrio, don’t say that, and I don’t think so.
Excuse me sir, but you have me at a loss. I do not thing we have ever met. On what do you base your opinion sir?
Everybody his preferences. No problem. Good luck with finding your favourite bourbon.
Thank you, sir. I have, sir. I sure have, sir. Until I find the next one, sir.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Yawn... Yep, that is the best I got for ya. I here it goes well with plantanos.
Sleep well. Thank you. I appreciate the input. But I only prefer to drink wine with my meals. Want to talk wine parings, sir? Or continue your conversation about rum?

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Crown Royal Salted Carmel and Crown Royal Peach are my 2 favorites in the Crown family. I don't find any Canadian Whisky tastes anything like Bourbon.
I agree with you my man. Canadian Whisky does not taste anything like Bourbon. But I still like it. And I like it better than Scotch.
In the PC/ Bavaro area you can find several Jack Daniels Bourbon's at pretty much any of the bigger supermarkets and at Liqormart.
The best supermarket selection I have found is in the Carrefour located in Plaza Duarte. They have the huge section that they call "The Bodega" and they have locked cabinet that is almost half a supermarket aisle for their high end selection. Somebody ought to be able to verify that or call foul if I do not live in the Dominican Republic.

Funny you should mention Jack. I picked some old number 7 on sale TODAY at Jumbo for 1299. Right after I looked at the the Glenfiddich 18 for 5640 DOP and said "forget that". Not the "f" word that actual came to mind but you get the idea. I know some here do not like it. But hey there is no accounting for taste. I think that is because I am "tan barrio". Whoomp there it is! I said it again.
The best deal in bourbon that I have found here in the Dominican Republic is at Carrefour.
Quarter Horse Black Label700 ml615$10.58Carrefour
Aged 3 years. A little harsh neat. Never tried it on ice or with water. I mainly use it to mix up my whiskey sours. Mixing up Jameson also makes a rocking whiskey sour. And as I mention before Crown Royal (the original) also make a great whiskey sour.

Maybe I should have just had a general whiskey threat since there are not many bourbon fans here and even a few hostiles.
Many accusations. Very little proof. Who left the DR? :ROFLMAO: