Cataract Surgery

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anybody had any experience in Rep Dom with this ?

There must be someone in Sto Dom or STI that does the procedure

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well Bill, I can tell you that we flew my mother-in-law to the USA for hers, after she heard several horror stories in Santo Domingo. Paid out of pocket.

Reactions: Facepalm Supreme

Dolores

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 20, 2019
Lots of good eye surgeons in the Dominican Republic. In Santo Domingo -- Dr. Herbert Stern, Dr. Juan Batlle, many more. On the other hand, I was diagnosed with beginning of cataracts and sent for future tests prior to an operation. Was told to first work to correct dry eye and eye drops were recommended. In the process did an allergic process with the sterile eye drops, very painful.

After that went looking for a more natural solution. Did find it in washing eyes with baby shampoo with the least chemicals, frequent use of heated eye masks (best every night), and hydrochlorous acid. Last time went to see the eye doctor he said my eyes were very very much improved. Right now I will wait out for better procedures to come along.

I get my eyes checked every year at Dr. Herbert Stern's Clinica Oftalmologica Santo Domingo. My good news is that I have not had to increase the density of my eye glasses. And I work lots on a computer. Taking a break several times a day to exercise eyes, also helps.

Take care!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
After posting/asking here,
I did a search. for cataracts and got lots of answers
Seems there are several success stories

Thanks for the help... I will be doing it in the next year or so

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
Had a detached retina. Call my doctor in Canada and he said I need to get there immediately. Told him not a chance and after he asked me where I was - he said " no issue - great doctors". Has the surgery done her in Santiago and ZERO issues. Perfect, professional. great follow-up.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I would probably do it in the USA, but here is one option in Santiago:

Dr. Sebastian Guzman
Eye Doctor at MD OJOS Clinica Corominas
sebastianguzman@hotmail.com
809-583-2649 work
809-971-2020 work

I know of Dr. Guzman through my U.S. doctor who does medical missions in D.R. Dr. Guzman is U.S. educated and fluent in English. Here's a short article related to him:
https://justretina.com/Main/Community/RetinaAlliance_Intl.html
Having done medical missions myself I'm admittedly biased toward doctors who devote so much time to the poor. For me, it speaks volumes to their character. Good luck no matter whom you choose!

Aug 21, 2007
Had both my eyes done in Santiago and cannot be more pleased with the quality of care, sophistication of testing, and overall results. This clinic is more sophisticated than any eye clinic I have been in in the US - and I have been in many with my mother having several serious eye problems and surgeries over the years.

My doctor was Dr. Estrella.

www.http://institutooftalmologicord.com/

Billp16

Jul 20, 2018
Had both my eyes done in Santiago and cannot be more pleased with the quality of care, sophistication of testing, and overall results. This clinic is more sophisticated than any eye clinic I have been in in the US - and I have been in many with my mother having several serious eye problems and surgeries over the years.

My doctor was Dr. Estrella.

www.http://institutooftalmologicord.com/

That is where my surgery was done too and yes, I agree 100%

Reactions: windeguy

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Another place in SD, very hi-tech, state-of-the-art, etc. is the Instituto Espaillat Cabral on Ave. Independencia a couple of blocks before Máximo Gómez. When my husband has his cataract done it will be either there or at Dr. Herbert Stern's.

I use that one for my yearly eye examinations and for eye emergencies.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I had both my eyes done by Dr. Joaquin Lora Hernandez - Oftalmolora, Unidad de Oftalmologia. Across from Clinica Corominas where the surgery is done. I've never seen so much high tech, state of the art equipment. Professional staff. First class operation. Excellent results. A friend of mine used him, also, with excellent results.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Interesting , after the initial response, to learn / hear how many success stories there have been here in RD

I'm encouraged.
My int'l health plan doesn't cover eye surgery so I'm looking to find something here

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I had my surgery at HOMS by Dr Avila. Since then I have 2 exams while visiting in the USA and they said my cataract replacements were perfect. I also had different eye surgery at the Espaillat Eye institute in SD. I would recommend the institute in SD as they only do eyes and really have a state of the art operating center. It amuses me that their building is round, I guess I’m easily amused.

Reactions: aarhus

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Centro oftalmologica, especializido Licey, S.R.L. (CEOELI) 809-970-5302 Worked fine for me, I was just about blind in my right eye. That was 2 yrs. ago and everything is good.

Dec 21, 2008
I was legally blind in both eyes as my cataracts developed very quickly due to long-term medication I was on. Dra. Giselle Morales Grisanty at the Centro de Especialidades Medicas (Puerto Plata office but surgery done in Santiago) was amazing. I have almost 20/20 in both eyes and only wear reading glasses now. I have zero complaints about the entire process and would recommend her without question. My insurance covered a fair amount of the surgeries but still paid a fair amount out of pocket.